• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Blood clots anyone?

Hawkwrench

This is probably something new for you guys. The other night after sitting at the bench, when I went to bed, my right leg behind my knee and in to my calf was hurting.
I didn't think too much about it. After another modeling night, the same thing happened.
When I got up to go to work, my right leg was still hurting so I went to the Dr. and bammo! A blood clot in my leg.
I had them in the same leg about 4 years ago. My family has a blood clotting disorder called Factor 5 Leiden.
It's a genetic disorder that allows the blood to clot alot easier than normal.
After research, I found out that when your in a sitting position, the veins in your legs are pinched and your veins can't move the blood out of your legs, so the blood sits and begins to clot inside the vein. ( your calf muscles act as a leg pump to push the blood up back to your heart)
Just a heads up for you guys that sit for hours at the bench!
Had anybody else ran across this problem while modeling?
By the way, the doc has me on Xarelto, which is a aggressive blood thinner and it is working. It's also $350 a month!!! :woohoo:

Tim

Wish I had hours to sit at the bench. Lately I have been putting in hours sitting at the desk, luckily I seem to be spared this issue. Be careful with the exacto now!

I am sorry to hear this, and you should avoid knives altogether for a time, seriously.

Sounds like you need a split level bench so you can alternate between standing & sitting. You know, for health reasons (and more kit storage & workspace). ;)

Take care of yourself. Sounds like you have it under control now.

I tend to be too fidgety to sit at a desk for hours at a time. I need to get up and walk around once in awhile. Even at work where I'm sitting at a desk most of the day, I tend to look for an excuse to get up and go to the trailer next door to talk with someone. I also adjust my sitting position pretty regularly so I'm not in one position all day.

A couple of years ago clots almost got my Dad. Since then I won't sit for more than two hours.

Take care of yourself we need modelers :good:

Thanks guys. Every hour or so, when I do get to model at the bench, I get up and walk around for a few minutes and then sit back down.
Also instead of sitting with my feet back, I stretch them out or prop them up.
As for the knives, ill just try to be careful. This drug is an aggressive and nasty drug. If you're on the normal blood thinners and start bleeding, they can give you Vitamin K to stop it, with this drug there is nothing they can give you.
Some people have died from bleeding to death while on thus drug!

Tim

Definitely be careful Tim! This should be a good reminder to all of us to try and be a bit more active and less sedentary.

I have problems with my right ankle area. It has been sprained way too many times and the upper foot and lower ankle just above the foot tend to get a little puffy. Usually not a lot but enough that I can tell.

Had a small clot form just above it one time and that area was red, slightly swollen and tender. Lucky for me the foot swelling will go all the way back down overnight and is caused by the damage from all the sprains, but it does make me aware of things. I usually have more trouble sitting at my bench at work or the computer than when I am modeling. When modeling I tend to roll the chair across the floor and am up and down a fair bit.

Telling me I had to put down the knife and quit modeling for a awhile would drive me nuts. :gogo

I love to build models, I just don't get much time to do it. :bang head

Tim

PS- I'm not on xarelto anymore. I went to the Dr. And had me switch to Coumadin which is ALOT more safe!

Tim

No clots here. PTSD and bipolar but no clotting, as evident from the blood drips on the floor. In all seriousness, Even though I work at a desk and art table all day, I am constantly getting to get artwork from the printer or vinyl cutter. Even at home, I walk to the kitchen to rinse out my paint palettes. Also keeping hydrated keeps the blood flowing and make you get up to go to the bathroom.

When I first bought my bench about 15 years ago,I didn't find a stool,said I get one another time.So I stood at my bench,liked it so much I never did get a stool.So that has not been a problem,but thanks for the heads up,it could also be a problem with long car rides or flights,always need to stretch your legs.A woman that we know died of a clot at 50 after a long plane flight,so be careful.

I've been dealing with blood clots for most of my career on other people by doing nuclear isotope venograms and v/q lung scans. Be care full and good luck. Gary

Back