• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BATTLE BLOG # 1 - THE LAST TIGER / BERLIN '45

Hello MA,
I have been a bit quiet of late but this does not mean I have not been bending plastic.
Here are my updates for the turret construction as per the information researched and posted.
I am using the interior details from the Academy early Tiger were they are needed (where you can see detail through the hatches). I accidentally glued the rear turret hatch closed so that won't be open.
The turret itself is missing the most of the track holders on the left side so I will model them in that way.
How good is that detail on the dragon kit ! :good:

DSC00563_zpsd27ecc68.jpg

DSC00568_zps927845c0.jpg

DSC00566_zps98929ed1.jpg

DSC00468_zpsa32021b9.jpg

DSC00469_zps171eb67c.jpg

DSC00565_zpsd3a8bd6c.jpg

DSC00470_zps4b116d6a.jpg

DSC00475_zpse11909db.jpg

DSC00562_zpsf1f2c36e.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you are looking forward to it and enjoying.

:)
Some more work on the turret......Let's look at that initial picture again.

Please take note that on the right side of the turret there are the typical track holders (2) at the bottom, but there only seems to be one at the top - knocked off during battle probably or previously missing before the rushed combat preparation.
It's even worse on the left, where the typical count of 5 is reduced to only a single upper bracket.

In this particular update I am re-creating the damaged rear stowage bin on the turret. It seems to have been pushed-in significantly in the middle, and the near right side appears ripped open.
I will do my best to get a realistic representation.

I used aluminum foil, which is always a good medium for sheet metal in scale. I wrapped it around the plastic stowage bin and burnished it with the rubber handle of a file to pick up the detail. I then drilled out the centre-rear outer plate and pushed in a trimmed version of the foil copy. I am still creating the smaller details and will add the torn pieces to the right and blend the 2 materials together (plastic / foil) where they meet externally - I glued it in place with an all purpose white glue.

6882959150_74de9ef3b9_o_zps3d63aae3.jpg

DSC00579_zps9b7c8288.jpg

DSC00582_zps88451988.jpg

DSC00581_zps983eb12e.jpg

DSC00597_zps29ce884d.jpg

DSC00599_zps46767ba8.jpg

DSC00601_zpseab62099.jpg

DSC00598_zps2daffe94.jpg

FINAL TURRET WORK
Hello everyone and apologies for the slowness here - work (again) has been busy and we just found out that we have 2 years until they shut us down - then it's time to look for a new career. :(

Anyway Models are the topic for the day so I have some final turret work to show and then I will be onto the Chassis build[ which I already have many photo's of.

The turret roof and the Commanders Cupola are not fixed yet as I still need to paint inside the turret.
I studied the details as much as possible with the photo angles available and worked on the final external details.......a number of the turret side track hanger mounts are missing in the photo so I tried to match what I saw.
It's very strange that Dragon have created this great Tiger 1 model with detail down to the smallest part yet they provide no guide for the track hanger positioning. As you can see I marked up the turret with pencil using the 'Actung Panzer 1/35 scale dwgs as a ref.
:blink go figure that!
- added weld beads to broken / missing track hangers. I used some spare Modelkasten track hanger base parts as I have a number of these from all the tigers built over the years -they are a little finer than the Dragon ones and seem just a touch more accurate.
- added left over base plate mounts for left side track hangers
- added some shot hits where needed
- Nearly completed the damaged stowage bin to try to match what is in the photo's.
With the stowage bin I could not clearly see all the damaged and I did want to leave some of the classic Tiger 1 shape to it, so it is kind of the same with shrapnel and bullet hits as well.Still needs a little more work on the foil to plastic transition areas but it's close.

DSC00719_zpsbad19e29.jpg

DSC00720_zpsf9ed61fd.jpg

DSC00722_zps2bad3eee.jpg

DSC00724_zps71d81901.jpg

DSC00732_zps0b98a0b1.jpg

:good: See you again soon for the Chassis [and I mean it!] :blush:

Brokeneagle

Back