• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

B1 bis

I think Chris at ITA is going to be doing a Char B interior. I'm sure I read that somewhere. For me, the biggest missing thing on the kit was the row of rivet heads along the top of the hull sponsons, just below the track run. I bought some brass rivet heads for mine but they were aweful to work with and in the end I used a punch and die set and plastic card. If I recall, there were something like 75 rivets per side.

Mabey I was seeing things but I swear I saw a nice bis model in iowabrit's post :hmmm The rivets looked good I saw those added to one Steve Zaloga did also. I started to add them, my method was to drill holes and insert stretched sprue cut off at the right height. I broke 4 bits, all I had of that size.
Thinning down the track links proved to be a painfull task as I jabbed my finger with the exacto a few times but I think it made a big improvement.

Heres some pretty much ready for paint pics. going to add some tool hold downs on the fenders but thats about it.
I've googled the B1 and still can't find an actual pic of one with the markings like in the small photo at the beginning of this build post. I'd like to use dry transfers.

Next what kind of setting. I'm seeing a cobble street with arched gateway behind it.

Tim
bis_20.jpg

bis22.jpg

bis21.jpg

bis23.jpg

Mighty fine work Tim. Hard to scale a chain, guess the shininess makes it look bigger, but by the time you rust that up that thing is going to look great! Git'er Done!

Thanks guys.

The chain came with the kit :hmmm You've got me searching for a pic of one with the chain still on. So far no luck. All the models I've seen has this size chain on them. Problem is any smaller chain would'nt accept the D ring. Need a bis expert on this one :notworthy

Tim

Thanks guys.

The chain came with the kit :hmmm You've got me searching for a pic of one with the chain still on. So far no luck. All the models I've seen has this size chain on them. Problem is any smaller chain would'nt accept the D ring. Need a bis expert on this one :notworthy

Tim
That chain is good Tim. If you look at mine you'll see it looks better once rusted.

DSC00781.jpg

Awesome build so far(y) (y)
James

Nice James, what markings are on yours?

Bingo! Thanks Cheyenne. The photo also shows the dark streaking that I've seen on almost all the bis's I've looked at. Anybody know what it is?

Hopefully will get the hold downs made and shoot some primer/preshade on it in the next couple of days.

Tim

Nice James, what markings are on yours?

Bingo! Thanks Cheyenne. The photo also shows the dark streaking that I've seen on almost all the bis's I've looked at. Anybody know what it is?

Hopefully will get the hold downs made and shoot some primer/preshade on it in the next couple of days.

Tim

Mine is Lyon. An Archer rub on marking.
DSC00783.jpg

James

Looking great so far Tim.

That dark streaking...could that be just grease?[I could be wrong]

Greetings,Ron.

Tim , I have a few more cool pics. , ............... after I shovel out south Joisey , ......... I'll post some more this afternoon ............

Most of the pics. have the streaks , ......... my guess also would be greezzze for the running gear .

truly good work tim!

what markings are you talking of? is there any chance for a bigger pic so that the name of the tank can be read?

without the name a search on chars-francais would be an endless task!

Very interesting subject and a great build: how did I miss this one?!? :hmmm

I'm in awe with the attention to detail you more experienced modelers dedicate to your builds. I never thought one would be so thorough... Things like a thick fender and track, or the number of rivets on a mantle, or the "real" size of a chain were mere stuff to live with. Now I'm left wondering if I'll have the skills, patience and time needed to build something worthwhile putting on a shelve... :unsure:

As many here, I'm also waiting for the first drops of paint on that Char... ;)

Congrats and thanks for sharing, Hood!

Cheers! B)
Fernao

I love the chains and am sure when they are painted they will add lots of character to the model. That pic of the B1 with stains looks like a future project for me.:D

Fernao- The small corrections / additions is really not that hard to do and adds a lot to the model, and is only the beginning. You will find yourself doing some simple things, like the new plastic fenders, in no time. Once oyu get the eye for it you will be doing some type of correction on nearly every model.

OK lets get to painting that sucker :D

Rob
www.scratchmod.com

Hey Tim , ............ here's what I've got .
Inspired by your build I bought the Tamiya kit and started searching for pics.
Some of these I have had for quite awhile .

My prize possession !!! , From a German soldier's photo album .

e1a1ed999cb29820_landing.jpg

63_08300_rethel_b_1_bis_detruit_en_may_1940_wh7.jpg

008.jpg

14-vi.jpg

430px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-382-0201-10A2C_Belgien2C_Beaumont2C_HC3A4userruinen.jpg

b1bis.jpg

b1b_ecorche.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-125-0277-092C_Im_Westen2C_zerstC3B6rter_franzC3B6sischer_Panzer_Char_B1.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-127-0369-212C_Im_Westen2C_zerstC3B6rter_franzC3B6sischer_Panzer_Char_B1.jpg

charb1a.jpg

charB1.jpg

CharB1bis.jpg

charb1c.jpg

panzer2028229.jpg

Panzer20Char20B20in20Romoraubin20abgeschossen20m1Pak20Treffer20und20Panzer20Char20B20mit20Tarnfarben20bemalter20Turm.jpg

photo-28.jpg

xVT7h58gP6Mv129235723859P3380.jpg

Thanks so much for the interest everybody!

Well... no paint yet. I'm still spotting things I need to add. I noticed that the cupola turret has what appears to be three lifting points smaller than the main turret that aren't on the kit's.
I also feel a cold coming on.... arrrrrgh :sick: I promise this weekend there will be color on this sucka for sure ;)

Great Photo's Cheyenne and glad your going to join in on the bis bliss fun (y)

Laura, Thats as big as the image will go. There is no way to tell what the name is unless someone might have the book. I haven't looked at the selection such as the transfers James used yet. It might be there.

I think ya'll are right about the streaking. It would make sense because they appear heavy in the areas where the track guide's are.

Hi Bigdog, thanks for the kind words. I will always be in the learning curve. I guess thats part of the enjoyment and challenge. Being on a forum that is bursting with all the talent and knowledge thats on here is a huge help.

Tim

Impressive and clean built! I´ve one Char B1 at home ... each time I visit your post ... I need to start mine!. it´s a huge tank full of weathering options!

Cheyenne ... many many thanks for so many nice and interesting pictures. All already in my hard disk! Thaaaannnnks!

In my search for which bis to do I found out the name of the one I wanted. It is Anjou, but it has the short fenders so thats out. Most of the ones I liked had the short fenders :( I've settled on Nivernais II It has the long fenders but I have to change the exhaust tips as it had the turned down style. I've also come across some more photos showing small details I want to add.
http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1231&Itemid=36

The markings for this tank is supplied in the kit but they look simple so I think I'm going to make stencils and paint them on.

In one of the photo's on the link I found out what the things are with the shaft and pads...French Jack's :) Go ahead and laugh but I couldn't figure them out.

Tim

Back