• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ARVN V100 Armored Car

Wow, I commend you Frank on working on this kit. Resin is a difficult medium for me as I tend to bury the Exacto blade in one digit or another. Besides, I haven't the skill to truly get things lined up when I have no indicators for it. Looks like you're doing well though.

Resin for figures is my preference but the armor kit is a bit difficult since I only have a few regular or more conventional armor kits under my belt. I doubt that I will build another full resin armor kit anytime soon after this one is complete.

Also, I am James, not Frank. :)

Cheers,
James

My apologies James. I must have been looking at one of Frank's Threads just before posting here. I would also probably enjoy resin for figures too unless they were holding weapons. In my preferred scale of 1/72 scale, weapons would probably be too brittle.

Wow, I commend you Frank on working on this kit. Resin is a difficult medium for me as I tend to bury the Exacto blade in one digit or another. Besides, I haven't the skill to truly get things lined up when I have no indicators for it. Looks like you're doing well though.

Resin for figures is my preference but the armor kit is a bit difficult since I only have a few regular or more conventional armor kits under my belt. I doubt that I will build another full resin armor kit anytime soon after this one is complete.

Also, I am James, not Frank. :)

Cheers,
James

My apologies James. I must have been looking at one of Frank's Threads just before posting here. I would also probably enjoy resin for figures too unless they were holding weapons. In my preferred scale of 1/72 scale, weapons would probably be too brittle.

No worries. I have a couple 1/72 resin figures that I have not even taken out of the package yet. The weapons do seem a bit tricky, but I think figures without weapons would be fine.

Cheers,
James

I haven't made a whole lot of progress lately, but at least I have all of the parts on ready for putty work. After the putty work, I will paint the model and then add the antennas.

The parts that were added were the four hoisting hard points as they are referred to in the instructions. They are the things on the four corners that one would use when sling loading this vehicle or perhaps pulling it out of a ship's hold. The .30 caliber machine guns and hatch were added to the turret.

100_6253.JPG

100_6254.JPG

I also attached the tail lights and the towing pintle. I just eyeballed it into place. I hope it is pretty close to being centered. :)

100_6255.JPG

I want to try to get this done within the next week as I just ordered the new AFV Club M113 ACAV on Thursday night and it should be here on Monday. Once that arrives, it is going to be hard for me to concentrate on much else. :)

Cheers,
James

Looking good James.
I wish they made one in 1/72 scale and out of plastic.
I only do 1/72 scale and the guys in the club have polluted me with armor.
It is good for me to try other items and not always doing Helos and fast movers.
Frank
:popcorn :popcorn

Looking good James.
It is good for me to try other items and not always doing Helos and fast movers.
Frank

Hey Frank,

There actually is one that is made in 1/72 scale in plastic. I'm not sure if it is still in production or not, but a company called ACE Models makes one. It costs about $25.00 or so, but the pictures I had seen of it were pretty nice. There have also been some made out of resin in 1/72 over the years. Not too long ago I was looking through some of my older Modeling magazines and remember seeing a V100 and a M151 in resin in 1/72 scale. I don't remember who the manufacturer was though. Back in the early 1980's when my friends and I would play wargames in my room with the old Roco MiniTanks, I also had two platoons of V100s which were die cast metal toy cars by Corgi. They were pretty well detailed. MegaHobbies has the ACE Models one listed on their website, but it is not currently in stock.

Cheers,
James

Well, I had been doing some work on the V100 here and there these past couple of weeks. I got the building of the model completed, primed it with flat black, then started using Ammo of MIG Post War OD to do the base coat followed by Reaper Black Green. I painted the turret and was in the process of drybrushing with the Post War OD and between losing my grip on the turret and the drybrush raking across the machine guns, the guns broke off. I have only been able to find one of them, so this project is now on hold. Until I find the other machine gun or can find something to replace it, I am going to get back to work on the M34 and perhaps the M132.

Here are some pictures of the hull after the black primer and initial coat of Post War OD. I will go over this with Black Green to create a better representation of the really dark OD green color found on vehicles of this period. I used the flash on my camera when I took these pictures and the colors are a bit distorted after looking at these pictures myself.

100_6551.JPG

100_6552.JPG

100_6553.JPG

100_6554.JPG

And here is the turret with the machine guns broken off.

100_6555.JPG

100_6556.JPG

100_6557.JPG

100_6558.JPG

And here are the figures ready for primer...

100_6561.JPG

Off to work on other vehicles until I can find that missing machine gun. If this were a 1/35th scale kit, it would be no problem, but since it is 1/48th scale and it is the only 1/48th scale kit I have, a collection of spares hasn't been accumulated yet.

Cheers,
James

Your paint work looks great James; I know how you feel about breaking off the guns. Happens to me all the time. I usually wait to near the end of a build to install them. Everything does look great though.

Looking good James.
Frank

Frank, ACE does make one as was mentioned and they are still in production. I believe he has two versions of this vehicle. I also plan on getting one myself. It is a great kit that has been rated very highly. They are around, keep your eyes peeled.

Oh man the mega block of resin. I built one when they first came out. Mine had one wheel smaller than rest.

Yours is looking nice. (y)

Back