• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ARVN M34 Truck - COMPLETED!

ARVN M34 Truck

Thanks, Duke. I could not imagine trying to put dry transfers on 1/72 scale aircraft, especially if it were letter by letter or number by number instead of having a full item. Eventually I would like to do some 1/72 scale vehicles. I could show a lot more action going on when depicting actual battles in that scale. I wish there were some decent plastic Vietnam figures. I have the rubbery type plastic ones, but they are hard to modify and paint.

Last night and today I did some weathering on the M34. First I applied dark brown, sunburn flesh, and grey to create scratched and rusty areas in the bed and cab of the truck. Then I took a bottle cap from a plastic soda bottle, placed some raw umber and raw sienna oil paint in the bottom, dripped some turpenoid into the cap, mixed it with a wide brush, and then spread that all across the model to replicate the areas where dirt and dust accumulate in the nooks and crannies of the truck.

Here is the view from the four sides:

100_6758.JPG

100_6759.JPG

100_6761.JPG

100_6762.JPG

Here are some of the weathering of the cab and bed. The oil paint is still drying in the bed, but I kind of like the effect. I wouldn't mind if it remained like that.

100_6764.JPG

100_6765.JPG

100_6766.JPG

100_6767.JPG

100_6768.JPG

Here are the vinyl tires after I sanded the seams and ran them over an open flame to smooth them out. These tires were really crappy, but since I am entering it in an Out of the Box category at the show in Arlington, TX on the 9th of September, I have to use them. When they were molded, the mold was not lined up properly and the seam was way off. I think the sanding and melting made them look a bit better, but they still suck.

100_6770.JPG

Tonight I will work on the truck some more, concentrating mostly on the wheels and tires, in order to try to get this model finished in the next day or so.

Cheers,
James

ARVN M34 Truck

Thanks, Guys.

I did some more weathering this morning...basically just making the truck dirty with the red dust. ARVN vehicles tended to be dirtier than US vehicles because they probably did not have the same facilities that US Units had, so I tried to convey that. I tried to make it progressively dirtier as you moved further to the back of the vehicle.

100_6772.JPG

100_6775.JPG

100_6777.JPG

100_6778.JPG

100_6779.JPG

100_6780.JPG

100_6781.JPG

100_6782.JPG

100_6783.JPG

Now I will try to complete the wheels and tires, get the windshield and back window cut out and glued on, and put the roof on.

Cheers,
James

ARVN M34 Truck

This afternoon I was able to get the wheels mounted to the truck, installed the wind shield and rear window, and got the roof put on. Only problem about the roof is that it did not fit as closely as it had when I was first building the truck. I guess either the wind shield moved forward or something causing the pins not to match up to the holes in the roof anymore. As you can see in the last photo, it left a gap that I will now have to fill. So much for an easy build that I was going to have finished tonight. Now it may be tomorrow morning or afternoon. :facepalm

100_6785.JPG

100_6786.JPG

100_6788.JPG

100_6789.JPG

I guess what I have left to complete is weathering the wheels and tires, getting that gap in the roof fixed, weathering/highlighting the roof, and any final touch ups as required.

Cheers,
James

ARVN M34 Truck

That is looking real good James. The weathering and dusting sure do make this truck look well-used; rode hard and put away wet. The gap looks to be fairly easy to fix; I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

I am calling this one done. I finally got the weathering done the best I could with just using pigments for the final process. I filled in the gap on the roof, but I had to leave the "seam" because apparently the roof and back is not one piece on the real vehicle. I also painted the padlock on the driver's side bin under the door.

This may not be the best model I have ever built, but for an old school kind of crappy in the detail kit, it turned out pretty decent and doesn't look like a toy like the one's I built when I was 9 years old.

So here you have it...an ARVN M34 2 1/2 ton truck in Gai Dinh Province, Republic of Vietnam 1967.

100_6791.JPG

100_6792.JPG

100_6793.JPG

100_6794.JPG

100_6795.JPG

100_6796.JPG

100_6797.JPG

100_6798.JPG

100_6799.JPG

100_6800.JPG

100_6801.JPG

100_6802.JPG

In a way it was pretty fun to just build something that was simple like this even if it isn't detailed like most of today's kits.

SOUTH ribbon - check!

Cheers,
James

ARVN M34 Truck

That is looking real good James. The weathering and dusting sure do make this truck look well-used; rode hard and put away wet. The gap looks to be fairly easy to fix; I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Thanks, Duke. I guess I could have used all of those various weathering products on the market to make it look better in an artistic perspective, but from a realistic perspective I think the dry brushing, oil paint wash/filter, and dusting with pigments worked well. Plus, I no longer have the patience nor good enough eyesight to use some of the newer techniques although I would like to try some of them sometime.

Cheers,
James

I'd say you made this one just right and it looks perfectly acceptable. I think it is quite realistic looking myself. Way to go on finishing something and I agree, just building something without worrying about all the details and such is so relaxing and invigorating sometimes.

Thanks, Guys.

I'm glad y'all like it.

After I get a few other projects I want to work on completed, I plan on making another one of these, but as a fire truck that a friend of mine served on in Vietnam. I'll have some scratch building to do, but it shouldn't be all that hard.

Cheers,
James

Back