• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another Sherman from Iwo Jima

agentg

Having now become a Shermaholic I decided to push my personal envelope. This is Tamiya's old M4A3 built as a D Co.,4th Battalion tank on Iwo Jima. References show quite a bit of differences between Battalions in how they modified their vehicles.

Tamiyas kit required a bit of, ahem, massaging to get it right. I had to scratch the sponson covers, and wading trunk lower ducting.

DSCF2664.jpg

DSCF2663.jpg

4th and 5th Battalions used heavy wood planking,sandbags, and chicken wire as additional protection. Nothing says wood like real wood, so basswood was cut to shape.

DSCF2667.jpg

DSCF2665.jpg

Bridal tule stands in for the chicken wire.

DSCF2668.jpg

Apoxie Sculpt was used for sandgags. All were molded by hand and placed according to references. I used Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the area between the wood and the hull. Real tanks had concrete poured in there.

DSCF2670.jpg

DSCF2671.jpg

Hex rod was sliced to bits and used for the retaining bolts.

DSCF2679.jpg

PE hatch covers, copper wire tow cable, Vallejo paint and here we are pre weathering.

DSCF2718.jpg

DSCF2722.jpg

Fini

DSCF2739.jpg

DSCF2740.jpg

DSCF2733-1.jpg

DSCF2744.jpg

DSCF2742.jpg

DSCF2732.jpg

Enjoy

G

That looks really sweet, good to have you back to posting here, G! Nice work! (y)

That is way cool. I just cant imagine painting it with all those sand bags on. It must be really time consuming. The results are tremendous though.
James

Hey secret agent man
She is a real beauty! That tuille is a great scale source for chicken wire; I have experimented with some for Sommerfield matting on ETO Shermans. You pulled in all these different elements really nicely. One thing I'd change for the next build would be to use brass tail-light guards. The kit offerings are naff central... ;)
Brad

Very nice job on your Pacific Sherman. Really dig the camoflague, a world apart fron the ETO... Great work! Steve

Lovely Pacific Sherman, the finish is very cool and realistic. There is something really cool about PTO Sherman's.

Jaymes

Thank you all. Sorry for the delay I had to travel again.

I used the Edouard PE set for the Italeri kit but it fit well. I really should have used the PE light guards but didn't want to cover them up with the sandbags. Oh well live and learn.

G

Back