• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMPS Central SC Contest - Saturday, July 14, 2012

SdAufKla

ShowBannerBasic.jpg

AMPS Central South Carolina "Wildcats" invites you to an armor-modeling show and contest.

Our next annual show will be held on Saturday, July 14, 2012, at the Gymnasium, 432 Ball Park Road, Lexington, SC. This venue is the same one we used last year and is just northwest of Columbia, SC and only a couple of miles north of interstate I-20.

Registration will open at 9:00 am and close at 1:30 pm, with the awards ceremony tentatively scheduled for 3:30 pm.

The contest will be organized and judging will be conducted according to the AMPS Contest Rules.

For anyone interested in becoming a certified AMPS judge, Mike Petty, AMPS Head Judge, has once again offered to conduct his judges' training and certification seminar. This is tentatively scheduled for the evening before the show, Friday, 13 July. Please contact us if you would like to attend.

This year's show theme is "Stranger in a Strange Land." Eligible models will be AFV's (and other AMPS qualifying subjects) that represent vehicles manufactured by one country, but used by the military forces of another. These can be Lend-Lease, Foreign Military Sales, commercial sales, donations, or captured vehicles.

For more information, show flyers, directions and other news, visit us on our web site www.ampscentralsouthcarolina.org .

Vendor tables are still available, and we welcome any donations for the raffle or trophy sponsorships. Sponsors and donors will be listed on our website along with their logos (if any) and business contact information (if desired). Contacts for vendor sales and sponsorships are listed on our website and contest flyers.

Hope to y'all there!

Mike Roof
Chapter Contact
AMPS Central SC

Thanks for the heads up Mike, there are rumors of another road trip soon.

Marking calanders now

I think Im going to try attending this show. Would be my first AMPS show, and I just happen to have a couple armor models that I might try entering.

Glad to see so much interest right off the bat!

@Adam: You won't be disapointed entering an AMPS show for the first time. The judging is conducted completely different and for with completely different goals than most other model shows. The object of the exercise in AMPS is to provide the modeler with constructive feedback. Each of your models will receive WRITTEN comments and a score based on the AMPS judging criteria. Awards are also done differently. Every model you enter will be judged and scored, however, only the highest scoring model that you enter in any category will actually receive an award. That is, you receive the highest award in that category for your best work displayed in it.

Something else that's different than most model shows is that the competition part is based on skill levels, so you can have your models judged with an eye toward your individual skill level and abilities. This allows the judges to provide you feedback that's most appropriate for advancing your skill and craft, from basic skills to advanced skills.

If you, or anyone else, has any questions about how the AMPS judging system works, please don't hesitate to ask here or send me a PM or email. I'll be very happy to answer any questions and try to point you in the right direction in so far as entering and competing in the show is concerned.

@Kryptosdaddy: Why you're certainly welcome! We'll be looking forward to seeing you at the show. BTW: Both the local IPMS and AMPS chapters are always looking for new members. (I'm a member of both.) If you're interested in meeting up with some local Columbia area model builders, let me know. I'll be more than happy to send you the info on the meetings and make the introductions!

@Moonpuppy: I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys again! BTW: Christian has alerted me to a tentatiive road trip to the Augusta HTU. If you guys call the ball on that one, let me know, and maybe we can do another link up operation. We had a great time hanging out with you guys last time.

@For All:

I really would like to encourage everyone to consider spending a couple of hours at the show judging. We will have judging teams working from the time registration opens until the last model entered is judged.

You DO NOT have to be an AMPS national or local member to judge. NO EXPERIENCE is necessary; we'll put you with a team of experienced judges headed up by an AMPS certified table captain.

Also, you DO NOT have to be an AMPS national or local member to attend Mike Petty's judges training and certification seminar on Friday, 13 July. Anyone can attend, and if you attend and complete the required judging shifts, you will be certified and received the coveted (!) AMPS Certified Judge's pin.

As I explaned above, AMPS judging is completely different than any other model judging that you've probably ever been involved with. (The possible exception are some of the major model figure painting competitions.) It is the absolutely best seat in the house if you want to really look at the models, adn you'll be able to spend some time in the company of other like-minded armor model geeks talking about tank models. It simply doesn't gget any better!

So, please, if you have some time while you're at the show, sign up for a judging shift (the sign-up board will be posted in the registration area). That's all you need to do, sign-up and show-up...

Hope to see and meet you all there.

'Til then, Happy Modeling,
Mike

SD- Yes I am interested in meeting some local members, if only to meet new people incase i don't have time to join and physically contribute to the group. You can send me any info you have at this time - thanks CR

Hi CR,

PM sent.

For anyone else local in the central SC area and who is interested in either IPMS or AMPS, please don't hesitate to PM me or contact me at: info@ampscentralsouthcarolina.org

I'll be happy to provide you information on meeting times, locations, and current activities of either local club. There's also a local chapter of the South Carolina Modeler's Association (SCMA), and although I'm not a member, there are several members of both AMPS and IPMS local chapters who are also members in SCMA. I also be glad to send you some contact and meeting info for those guys too.

There's a lot going on for scale model builders in the South Carolina, so if you have any interest at all in meeting other model builders in our state, no matter where you live, there's plenty of opportunities. Don't sit and model all alone! If I can't get you a direct contact in a local club nearest to you, I can find the guy that can...

Happy Modeling,
Mike

Back