• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in soldering: The Rat Rod Wrecker

RANDY,

WoW ! ( i can't really think of a better superlative). Th Tranny is lookin Fan-F'n-Tastic !! Those Seats look Killa' !!

Really a Beautiful Job !! :notworthy :notworthy :ro: :ro: :ro:

I said it before and I'll say it again , ........... you're certifiable man , certifiable !!!

Nothing but lessons in ..............

Patience
Sticktoitiveness
Science
Math
Patience
Craftsmanship
Patience

I showed this thread to the " little Komandant " , ........ wife , her reaction was classic , .......

old-lady-with-naughty-ooooooh-look.jpg

........... she said " Why can't you build things from scratch instead of buying all those kits "

shockedlook.jpg

man thats incredible .... THE INCREDIBLE SOLDERING RANDY .... (Chuck how's about a pic for that?)

Randy I'm joking, cause I'm speechless - its just great!

Thanks MP, The stuff on the firewall, Bob, is a little of scratch and some fittings out of the scrapbox....

I have a good amount of stuff so that I can make up what I need, most of them detail parts from the train side.

005-63.jpg

Thanks Mike, one of these days:) :)

Terry, Appreciate the support!

Saul, Thank you sir!!

Thanks Erik:D :D :D

Hi Kevin, Thank you but how about some more builds from you:) :) :)

Hi Rob, Thank you for commenting!1

Hi Glenn, Appreciate the kind words my friend:) :) :)

Thanks Jeff!!!

Hello Martin, Thank you!!

Hi John, Thanks and the heater hoses are a cast lag pipe left over from a steam engine boiler project.

Not a huge update, decided to attempt a scratch built cab. Will see how it goes, can always fall back on the plastic Ford cab if I fall flat on my face:) :)

Copper sheet stock with brass trim...

009-48.jpg

014-35.jpg

016-29.jpg

001-67.jpg

002-65.jpg

005-62.jpg

016-30.jpg

026-12.jpg

Made up a hardwood form for the roof. Will use some brass sheet and 'heat and beat' a roof that hopefully won't leak to bad:D :D

021-20.jpg

None of these pieces are finished yet, lots more to do !

Thanks for looking!

Randy

Note to self...never throw a part away..never throw a part away...

I like seeing how you got that complex bend around the firewall. Shape it with cardstock and use it as a template?

I see you got lines scored onthe copper for the back wall, how did you figure those lines? Looks like a fair amount of math going on there.

GO SPEED RACER !! :ro: :ro: Ya' know, I was wondering if you might build the entire car out of Copper, brass, something .. & You are doing it !! Again ... Masterful Job !! :dude :eek:hyeah

Randy, I guess you solved your chop issue, and to think you were nervous about cutting up the plastic cab! :laugh: Most excellent build, my friend, rock on! :dude

And I thought I had a spares box WOW!!!! There are no adjectives to describe the work you are doing here. :notworthy

Terry (y)

Geeeeeze......:notworthy :notworthy When I saw the work on the frame and all turning into something other than just a support for the rest I mumbled to myself "I'll bet he abandones the kit cab" :)... and why not!
It's a joy to watch a master work!

Tim

Finally got some bench time...

Thanks you guys for the kind remarks :) :) :)

Bob, you are correct, usually start with a paper template then shape it to a final fit. Those scribe marks on the cab where to help me bend both sides the same.

Update...

003-60.jpg

006-60.jpg

010-44.jpg

014-37.jpg

Mock up.......

018-28.jpg

Inner door skins....

005-64.jpg

020-16.jpg

Stuck on some plastic door handles to see what it will look like..

023-18.jpg

024-16.jpg

The doors are not soldered together yet, still need some glass...

Working on more of the cab, adding interior framing...

010-45.jpg

cut down some small hinges from 'Micro- Mark'....

003-63.jpg

002-67.jpg

003-61.jpg

008-48.jpg

003-62.jpg

004-52.jpg

012-35.jpg

016-31.jpg

Mock up time, the cowling piece is not attached yet....

009-51.jpg

Here is the final version of the roof form, MDF from a piece of laminate flooring.

049-5.jpg

Roof is .005 brass sheet ....

051-6.jpg

Heated to cherry red add beat to fit...

058-4.jpg

since this will get painted I was able to 'pie cut' the corners and fill with solder...

064-2.jpg

062-3.jpg

005-67.jpg

That is all for now, thanks for looking in!!

Randy

Back