• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Accurate Miniatures SBD-3 questions.

Might be a connotation of what squadron they were in...Yorktown had VB-3 and VS-5...typically the S was for scout bombers-- these were planes with a single 500 pounder which were lighter to extend range while looking for the enemy fleet out in the great wide blue...whereas the B was for bomber squadrons which had bombs on all three hard points.

I will say that despite all the great detail, decals for the cockpit panel are lacking in any detail...not sure if Eduard has color PE for the kit-- but like Bob said the interior green color is sometimes a bit off.

Yorktown also had some SBDs from Saratoga on deck which make your marking options even a bit more expansive ;)

Cool.

The Eduard kit has the color IP, but the only reasonable one I can grab is from eBay UK and the seller isn't available for two weeks. Couple that with shipping times and it'll be a while before I can get one. May or may not be an issue, but I know with me and building, if I put off something, it ends up shelved when another shiney object presents itself.

As it is, I was inspired by Phantom's Fujimi Mitsubishi, I have one inbound from Japan.

The SBD should be here today. Too many distractions, waiting on the zoom might kill enthusiasm. :hmmm

The early SBDs had an aluminum paint/ NMF to them. Not sure right off when they went to I think Zinc Chromate.

It was pretty much just the pre-war -1's...anything past that for Douglas Dauntlesses were definitely interior green, not the zinc chromate. That for more for fighters and the Avengers...but Devastators and SBDs were the interior green throughout...

It was pretty much just the pre-war -1's...anything past that for Douglas Dauntlesses were definitely interior green, not the zinc chromate. That for more for fighters and the Avengers...but Devastators and SBDs were the interior green throughout...

Ahh ok, thanks fer steppin' in with that tif bit of info :drinks

Back