• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Note About Knives

Guys, especially Ausf, Michael's has them and they commonly offer a 50% off coupon. This is from my Latest Acquisitions post in October of 2016.

OlfaAndZblades.JPG

Regards,

:good:

Cheers, B)

The easiest way to get one from Lowe's is to purchase it at lowes.com, they will have it pulled and ready for you to pick up, so you don't have to wander the aisles looking at all the fun stuff. :coolio

Saul, that's a good deal except for those of us out in the sticks where a trip to Michael's is a 70+ mile round trip, seems counterproductive for a $3 discount.

The knife seems good, well made and sharp, the bright yellow handle will keep it from disappearing on the bench (yeah right) but I wouldn't say it was more comfortable to use. Worth the investment so far.

:drinks

Saul, that's a good deal except for those of us out in the sticks where a trip to Michael's is a 70+ mile round trip, seems counterproductive for a $3 discount.

The knife seems good, well made and sharp, the bright yellow handle will keep it from disappearing on the bench (yeah right) but I wouldn't say it was more comfortable to use. Worth the investment so far.

If only buying the knife, you are correct. However, they also throw free shipping events which do help should you want to buy online. Another nice feature is that the blade handle doesn't roll. I've decided to simply buy Olfa brand blade refills and use my most comfortable handles instead.

Based on my usage so far, durability of the blades for both sharpness and breakage go to X-Acto's Z series (on par with Feather and Swann Morton scalpel blades), then Olfa blades (which are on par with the generic surgical blades), followed by regular X-Acto and finally Excel and other no brands found on eBay.

Regards,

The easiest way to get one from Lowe's is to purchase it at lowes.com, they will have it pulled and ready for you to pick up, so you don't have to wander the aisles looking at all the fun stuff. :coolio

:drinks

It's two different knives.

The Art/Hobby knife (KB4) Saul linked is much different than the Lowes offering (AK). The AK is a good knife and those blades are relatively inexpensive, 25 for $7.

The KB4 retails for around $12-15, is cushioned, has a quick lock system and the blades are a normal #11, a chisel and a rounded one. And again, they stay sharper and don't break, much better than even the Z exactos.

Thanks Saul, I could probably hit a Michaels with a snowball if I got a running start, but I hate those stores. I can however swallow my hate and ask my wife to grab one when she goes. :D

Clicked on the Lowe's link and it said 5 in stock at my local store, Aisle 22, bay 13. OK Aisle 22 is lumber and the bays are letters, not numbers, Oh well, went to the tool section and it was with the other utility knives, aisle 59, bay F. Looking forward to giving it a shot, been going through X-acto and Excel blades like crazy lately. Will need to look further for the Olfa #11 blades, didn't see any at Lowe's

Clicked on the Lowe's link and it said 5 in stock at my local store, Aisle 22, bay 13. OK Aisle 22 is lumber and the bays are letters, not numbers, Oh well, went to the tool section and it was with the other utility knives, aisle 59, bay F. Looking forward to giving it a shot, been going through X-acto and Excel blades like crazy lately. Will need to look further for the Olfa #11 blades, didn't see any at Lowe's

Lowes works in mysterious ways :rotf just ask Mike.

Michaels does carry the Olfa knives . Maybe the carry the blades as well . Call ahead was the advise I was given.

Cheers B)

Michaels does carry the Olfa knives . Maybe the carry the blades as well .

According to the person who works there, they don't carry the #11 craft blades. It is why I kept buying the Z series from X-Acto. However, they do carry the circle cutter which is quite useful (and yes, I bought it).

Regards,

Whoa, it seems Walmart sells replacement blades and, if in the sticks, free shipping on orders over $35USD. For me, free ship to store for pickup!

Regards,

Same thing here Gary, mine said it was in the plumbing section. Good thing i didn't order it online or there would have been a bunch of Lowes folks ripping out the plumbing trying to find the dang thing.

I found it in Tools also, came with 5 blades and I got an extra 5. Still under $10. :good:

I picked up two, knowing Lowe's as I do, I knew if I went back later they wouldn't have any in stock or would be discontinued. Seems like every time I find something there I like it gets discontinued. Now I just need to find some place to put the extra blades as I know that little packet is going to disappear the first time I turn my back.

I just got one of the ones from Lowes and it's completely different than the AK-4.

Just as a heads up, I'm sure it'll work well, I have a 25 pack of blades for it, but the cushioned, more expensive one is all metal with a blade locking tip. Plus the blades are much bigger.

I'm not hammering the smaller one, I think it'll be very useful since the small blade allows for more leverage, I was just surprised that the tip isn't metal.

My wife was hiding to Michaels so I asked her to grab me one with a 60% off coupon, but of course they were out of stock. The suggested buying online since the coupon would would, but with the $7 shipping, we're back to $13 which is the normal going retail price on Amazon or eBay.

By the way, I used their saw yesterday, it's much better than the X-acto or Zona offerings.

Who's saw ? :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

OLFA. It's a 3 blade pack for the AK. They also have a squarish one that comes with the handle for $8 from Japan, but I didn't want to wait so I just grabbed another AK handle.

I keep four on my bench when I sculpt, saves time switching between blades. The top is Lowes available one, you can see the difference.

The brush on the tail is for getting the debris off the sculpture while using the knife. Saves a lot of time not having to put down the knife and reach for a brush, then pick up the knife again, especially with the Zeiss head loupe on.

hf32a097.jpg

Who's saw ? :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

OLFA. It's a 3 blade pack for the AK. They also have a squarish one that comes with the handle for $8 from Japan, but I didn't want to wait so I just grabbed another AK handle.

I keep four on my bench when I sculpt, saves time switching between blades. The top is Lowes available one, you can see the difference.

The brush on the tail is for getting the debris off the sculpture while using the knife. Saves a lot of time not having to put down the knife and reach for a brush, then pick up the knife again, especially with the Zeiss head loupe on.

hf32a097.jpg

Have you tried the JLC saw ? I like it for the fine cut it makes in plastic , but I have no idea what you're cutting with your.

Cheers, Christian B)

I haven't tried the JLC, but that blade looks similar to the OLFA one from Japan. I mainly used Zona until I picked up the OLFA. I have the X-acto large ones that take the red handle and the small ones that fit in a #11, but they bend. Zona is nice and thin, rigid and sharp. The, OLFA is the same, just a lot cheaper at 3 for $5.

I cut mostly resin, styrene and epoxy clay.

For metal I use my Proxxon table saw.

I haven't tried the JLC, but that blade looks similar to the OLFA one from Japan. I mainly used Zona until I picked up the OLFA. I have the X-acto large ones that take the red handle and the small ones that fit in a #11, but they bend. Zona is nice and thin, rigid and sharp. The, OLFA is the same, just a lot cheaper at 3 for $5.

I cut mostly resin, styrene and epoxy clay.

For metal I use my Proxxon table saw.

The Zona seems to be a long time favorite of RR. modelers but I have never had one.

Not overly impressed with X-acto but I don't cut large objects anyway . The JLC is small, so it's aimed more toward detail work.
Nice that they have two different saw teeth on one blade though.

Cheers, Christian B)

Be wary! On eBay, there is a Chinese knock off of the Olfa saw.

Real Deal ($10USD shipped from Japan):
1599664094271.png

Chinese knock off named Manwah and $3.35 shipped from China):

By the way Ausf, the JLC saw I think is being referred to is the razor saw made by laser cutting:
1599663938048.png

Those sold by UMM are made by Tiger. I still have stock of the ones from Sign (Roman Sekyrka) which I paid 4 for a $1USD. They are excellent and have a very fine kerf.

Regards,

Be wary! On eBay, there is a Chinese knock off of the Olfa saw.

Real Deal ($10USD shipped from Japan):

Chinese knock off named Manwah and $3.35 shipped from China):

By the way Ausf, the JLC saw I think is being referred to is the razor saw made by laser cutting:
4.jpg

Those sold by UMM are made by Tiger. I still have stock of the ones from Sign (Roman Sekyrka) which I paid 4 for a $1USD. They are excellent and have a very fine kerf.

Regards,

That's the JLC saw. The only name I know it by anyhow . Great item but pricey.

Is there an alternative to UMM ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Is there an alternative to UMM ?

Christian, the saws I buy when in Prague are Sign and Tatra. Tiger is sold online by a few Czech hobby shops, the handle too as JLC is the name of the company that makes the handles and holders. Keep in mind that Tatra and Tiger are brands for double edged safety razors which make the blued metal blanks which are then laser etched into saws we use.

Safety razor blade:

h5dc1745.jpg

blank made into a saw I buy in Prague hobby shops:

h1f30cbf.JPG

Regards,

Back