• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

The fore mast is done. On to the main mast.
20230716_185742-01.jpeg
20230716_190005-01.jpeg
20230716_190144.jpg

Thanks, she's a hand full. At this point I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying spending time with her, or just determined to muck through and stick with it to the bitter's end!...see what I did there?...lol.
I hope your talking about the boat. Lol. Gary's.

@ Tim A. Lol...yes. However I suspect my wife may be enjoying my struggle with this boat a bit to much as she bought me the Heller Victory... double the struggle! Oh well, I'm her huckleberry...ha.

When you start on that one I will be watching closely. I have one of the Heller Victory kits in my stash. With the vaccuformed sails pretty much destroyed, I pitched them. Don't really want any sails on another sailing ship. I built many of those as a kid and won't do another ship with sails billowing on it. I really like what you have done on the Constitution and look forward to the Victory.

The main top yard ready for the furled sail to be added.
The foot ropes, the thin black lines hanging below the yard, are the hardest to model. Using actual thread line doesn't work well at this scale because the thread doesn't lay right and is way
1000006229-01.jpeg
1000006230-01.jpeg
over scale in thickness. I'm using very fine copper wire. Once on they're painted black. It's a very fiddly process.

She looks amazing. More and more in awe of this build. I really dont think I have the patience to do the work required for a build like this.
James

She looks amazing. More and more in awe of this build. I really dont think I have the patience to do the work required for a build like this.
James
Thanks James. After this is complete I have the Heller 1/100 scale Victory to build. It's a monumental kit. Twice or three times the build of Constitution. Funny that I'm starting to think if at 60 years old will I live long enough to see it finished 🤔

Letting the wetted silkspan dry after it's been tied to the upside down yard with the gasket ropes.
I'm weathering the sails using watered down ochre brown and MIG grime shader. Still wet so it'll tone down after drying.
20230901_173106.jpg
20230901_183214.jpg

Last edited:
Back