• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Kayaba Katsuodori Ramjet Fighter

Yeah there are Videos of people putting these things a go karts ... but I can't wait to see Michel's next post ... those re-worked tubes look great ... (y)

a@Swordsman, so that was the misunderstanding. All clear now.

The Leduc was one of those early 50s experiments around ramjets that led to nothing. As a design it's never been a fave of mine. As to the Trident, that was rocket plus turbojet. Nicer plane, methinks. But the one I prefer among those French birds, which is a ramjet plus trubojet, is the Nord 1500 Griffon:

https://youtu.be/ttqbnaBipmE

I had forgotten the Griffon . Sort of F-16 on steroids in profile .

Shame they never got the design mastered . Very impressive looking for it's days.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you all for the nice comments!:drinks

@James, this is a nice little video. The commentator has got the script wrong, I think, in a couple spots, but otherwise a nice explanation of how a ramjet works.

@Swordsman, I think those are pulsejets they put on go-karts. The buzz of the pulse suits those go-karts well I think! LOL

@Christian, yeah, an F-16 on steroids, that’s what I was thinking too! And “à la française” I might add! LOL

M

The primer coat is on: Mr. Surfacer 1200 polished with micromesh 3600 to remove any lint stuck to the paint and give it a smooth finish for the base coat.

That's a very smooth finish, Michel (I do the same thing, primer then polish-it-out), looking forward to seeing the paint-scheme go on.

Ian.

Base coat is on. It went on straight, no pre-shading. The reason for that is because of the base coverage ability of yellow, which results in too harsh a contrast. I'll use post-shading instead.

After doing some research on the WWII Japanese yellow/orange color for trainer and experimental a/c (there's a quite thorough essay by Nick Millman on the subject) I settled for a 95% Gunze H4 Yellow and 5% Gunze H3 Red mix. I'm quite happy with the result. Hope you like it too.

Good tip about the yellow, tricky color to do. :popcorn

Thanks but I have an even better one for you. This was posted on another forum as comment to my build:

"Friendly tip...
Any time I do colors that don't cover well...ie...yellow, red, etc. I do the normal preshade routine, then paint those areas in white...to the point where I'd want them, if they were to end in white (preshade showing through a little)...then spray over the white with thin coats of the color. This way, you get the subtle preshading effects, without having to go through 4 gallons of yellow paint!"

Cool, eh?

M

Very cool, but I've never been a preshade type, I guess I have too heavy of a hand. But it does make sense doesn't it?

Very cool, but I've never been a preshade type, I guess I have too heavy of a hand. But it does make sense doesn't it?

Yep, it does. Although it's counter-intuitive white has very good coverage while red has very little, to say nothing of yellow. On the other hand the smallest drop of red will tint any other color irremediably. I start realizing there's more to color than the refraction of light that meets the eye.

M

Yep, it does. Although it's counter-intuitive white has very good coverage while red has very little, to say nothing of yellow. On the other hand the smallest drop of red will tint any other color irremediably. I start realizing there's more to color than the refraction of light that meets the eye.

M

And I HATE Cleaning red out of an airbrush, HATE IT! :bang head

Back