• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..Going Dark

1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..Beginning the Wing Work

Well it has been going on a month since I last updated this thread. As for quantity there is not a lot. However there is some progress.

There are frames in the wing.

Wing-3_zpsr4z4ctiy.jpg

Now they are not fixed permanently, they are spot glued in to make sure they fit right.

There is also some progress on my renditions of the wing guns.

Guns-1_zpskmmfsote.jpg

Guns-2_zpsz7nngudz.jpg

Like I said it does not look like much but it is progress. I am much happier with the wing guns now.

Next up will be a box for the guncarriage and the guns. Need to find a bit more on the interior of the wing as there does appear to be a whole lot of empty there.

Till the next time,

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..Wing work continues

Just a quick update.

Work continued on the wing. Frames are now installed and the gun bay as well as the ammo box. Tonight the stringers were installed.

Wing-6_zpslvumhiok.jpg

Wing-5_zpsy58vdrgo.jpg

Wing-4_zps14nla6bq.jpg

Next up will be the interior of the flaps.

Joe

Looks like another Masterpiece from the Hanger of Joe ... Looks very Good My Friend ... :woohoo: :pilot (y)

Gerry many thanks.

There is a setback. I was shown that the ammo chute as well as the gun bay are wrong. For me to fix this I would need to remove and modify enough of the framework that it would be easier to start from square one.

Not sure where I am going with this.

Joe

1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..One Step Forward, Then .....

Well it happened yet again.

Wing work volume 2.

The ammo chute is redone, two frames are redone, and the stringers are now redone. Seems every step forward is followed by two or ten steps back.

First was to strip out the offending parts.

Wing-9_zpsfnbrenfn.jpg

Than with everything replaced.

Wing-8_zpsqysqdlyn.jpg

I also had worked some on the flap interiors.

Wing-7_zpsqmcotijz.jpg

Now to move forward.

Joe

Bonus material time....

As I started out today I thought why not show what I was doing. Just a small assembly but it is worth the time.

Today I began by cleaning up the bulkheads. Remember those....

Bulkheads_zpsqw1y7y4r.jpg

Well I began with punching out a hole, the largest my punch set has, and then using the dremel I worked the bulkheads out to where they looked more like they do in my drawings. I then went in with 320 sandpaper and cleaned them up.

Bulkheads-2_zpsgz2b3qzj.jpg

Once that was done I was able to start on the fuel cell. Using bulkhead #7 as a reference I sketched out the form, that was cut out, cleaned up, and then used as a master to form 3 pieces of sheet styrene. I then cut two pieces of tube styrene, size isnt important as long as it fits. I glued the tube to the sheet and then put them all together.

Fuel-Cell-1_zpsbkza0dp2.jpg

I then used .010 sheet styrene and skinned the framework. Also using the same bulkhead I fashioned a stand to keep the fuel cell in place.

Fuel-Cell-2_zpsqpzslw2y.jpg

Just that simple.

Ok next will be to continue to work the interior, most likely starting with the tail and moving forward. I do need to add detail to most of the bulkheads as well as the fuel cell.

I hope you enjoyed the bonus.

Joe

Thanks Joe! It's always nice to see someone elses take on fabricating a part. (y)

Now this is what I call an acceptable obsession Joe, DETAIL! Bookmarked, Brotha!

Cheers, Ski.

Back