• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Daytona 1957 Ford Fairlane

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
From Wiki Fireball Roberts
Edward Glenn Roberts, Jr. (January 20, 1929 – July 2, 1964), nicknamed "Fireball" , was one of the pioneering race car drivers of NASCAR.

Despite having his career cut short and having never won a Grand National title, Fireball Roberts was named one of NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers.

Other career awards he won include induction into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1990, and the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 1995.

On May 24, 1964, at the World 600 in Charlotte, Roberts had qualified in the eleventh position and started in the middle of the pack. On lap 7, Ned Jarrett and Junior Johnson collided and spun out and Roberts crashed trying to avoid them. Roberts' Ford slammed backward into the inside retaining wall, flipped over and burst into flames. Witnesses at the track claimed they heard Roberts screaming, "Ned, help me!" from inside his burning car after the wreck. Jarrett rushed to save Roberts as his car was engulfed by the flames. Roberts suffered second- and third-degree burns over 80 percent of his body and was airlifted to a hospital in critical condition. Although it was widely believed that Roberts had an allergic reaction to flame-retardant chemicals, he was secretly an asthmatic and the chemicals made his breathing worse.[2]

Roberts was able to survive for several weeks, and it appeared he might pull through. But Roberts' health took a turn for the worse on June 30, 1964. He contracted pneumonia and sepsis and slipped into a coma by the next day. He died on July 2, 1964.

After Roberts' death, NASCAR mandated that all drivers must wear flame retardant coveralls while on track. They also instituted the five point safety harness, and the special, contoured drivers seat, all three of which are still requirements on all NASCAR entrants.

Well that's who I'm talking about.

And this is his ride all pimped out for the 1957 Daytona Beach Road Course.

4-4-2006-18.jpg

4-4-2006-19.jpg

4-4-2006-47.jpg

I am assuming these pictures were taken in 1957 because of the year model of the cars. These pictures were taken by my Dad who was selling cars at that time. I have said in the past that these were from the last race on the beach, these were not, they raced again in 1958 when the beach course was closed. Dad went again in 1959 for the first race at Daytona International Speedway.

And so here's my first shot.
DSCF0071.jpg

First question, does anyone know someone who can do custom decals?

Rock-It :mpup , especially since you have some really up close & Personal pix !! Great !! I'm lookin forward to seeing this !!

This one will be good to watch :mpup

I am a graphic designer and I will be able to help you with the artwork if you can tell me what you need MP. I can then send you the pictures and you can have them printed on decal paper. Just give me a PM or we can chat on skype.

Thanks for the offer Dave, that's exactly what I need. It'll be no problem printing the decals, I have access to several color laser printers. I have a source on the NASCAR Inspection sticker that's on the door, as well as the others.

What I'll need help with is the car number, Fireball Roberts and the 270 HP decals. If I can find the right font I could probably make them myself.

I had not noticed before, but the logo on the rear quarter panel is no there when the picture was taken on the beach. I guess they secured one more sponsor just before the race. Can anyone make out what that logo is?

not sure you can get some clue from this pic?
Curtis_Turner_Plane_99_1956-1.jpg

think it's the same one under the purolator not sure what it says, something with circle...
//Mats

Thanks Mats, Sitting here this morning and have found some common Nascar logos to work with. It's funny, I find all sorts of Fireball Roberts 1957 ford in diecast, and none of them in the colors I have. Shhh....don't tell them... :mpup

Man, work sure cuts into my time to catch up here! I've seen those pictures on several occasions and I am still in awe of how clear and vivid they are! Great subject and should be a fun build. Yesterdays Decals used to make a Fireball set, not sure if it's still around, you might contact Gene at The Great Escape in S'burg, he's into that vintage stuff. Found this for you, nice stuff. http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=413&idcategory=19
Best of karma to you, holler if you need parts. (y)

Take a look at this, should be just the ticket.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-RSetzer/-strse-3203/643-%2322-Ford-Factory/Detail.bok

(y)
:popcorn

Here it is!

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-RSetzer/-strse-3084/664-%233-fdsh-%2312-fdsh-%2326-57-Ford/Detail.bok

Thanks Mike. Now, you want to hook me up with the paint, time, skill and effort to finish this out??

Back