• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pee for Hundred

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
FI_P-400_001.JPG

First image.

Inside the box top on the right are CMK's interior set, CMK's Quick n Easy exhausts (two types as I am not sure of the markings yet), Quickboost guns, and Vector's main wheel well.

Regards,

Here are the contents of the kit:
P400_001.jpg

P400_002.jpg

P400_003.jpg

P400_004.jpg

P400_005.jpg

P400_006.jpg

P400_007.jpg

P400_008.jpg

P400_009.jpg

P400_010.jpg

P400_011.jpg

P400_012.jpg

P400_013.jpg

P400_014.jpg

P400_015.jpg

P400_016.jpg

P400_017.jpg

P400_018.jpg

It looks like a great kit to start with...

Regards,

Not much done today as most of the time was spent on the Cuban Sherman. I simply washed and dried the resin items and removed the kit's landing gear bays in preparation for the Vector replacement. Not impressive enough to photograph.

Regards,

I like the treatment of the door, mask over the window and paint. That IP doesn't look too good, but how can you sell aftermarket if it's OK in the kit?

Took a closer look at the work I performed and noticed I had chipped an edge of the bay. not a huge issue as it is under the inner gear door but it also brought out an issue with the Vector set, no instructions so I cut too much off!

Again, I can repair it before I take the photograph. I only removed one gear bay to show the difference in detail with the Vector set. Luckily, I know what to expect and will clearly show the needed removal area... seems like an upcoming review.
:)

Regards,

Well, the Vector set looked great on the web, and in person. However, I don't think anyone ever bothered fitting it to a kit. If they did, This product would not be released as fitting it is as much work as scratch-building.

I should have bought the Aires set instead... :(

Here is what I mean:

Vector_001.jpg

Last time I posted, I mentioned the chipped edge, not a problem and all my fault.

Vector_002.jpg

All the test fitting made me lose a tiny edge to the wheel well. Again, a strip of 0.005 inch styrene blended in would fix it.

Vector_004.JPG

The other side looked fine. Time to glue it in, or so I thought.

I marked the other wing to know what to remove and to use the image for a review:
Vector_005.JPG

After using cyano-acrylate cement to lock it in place, I test fit the upper wing. The resin bay was high enough to not let the leading or trailing edges of the wing meet.

I had to pop off the piece:
Vector_007.JPG

Note where grinding away the resin caused holes into the leading edge.

Grind away an area the size of the gear bay until the plastic was translucent:
Vector_008.JPG

Test fit and... not good yet!
:angry:

Grind away from the bottom wing and slightly damage the trailing and leading edges:
Vector_009.JPG

The end result finally fits but it was not worth the aggravation, here is the total work for one bay in one image:
Vector_006.JPG

Note again where grinding away the resin caused holes into the leading edge.

To think I must repeat this for the other side! At least the Aires set also includes the nose bay and inner main gear doors. Lesson learned!

Regards,

Maybe you should get the Aires set...just saying. :mpup

Kit part didn't look THAT bad compared to what you got there.

I thought of getting the Aires set but I already dug out the wings for this set.

I can always use another kit.

Regards,

I think we're getting to the point of Challenge Round on this build. the "I'm going to make these damn things work no matter what" point. :mpup

Bummer that the wells didnt work out. Can you get a replacement wing? Or maybe make a mold of the inboard wing and cast a resin copy and then use the Aires, or scratch a new wheel well? Just thoughts.
James

I think we're getting to the point of Challenge Round on this build. the "I'm going to make these damn things work no matter what" point.

I had put together the very warm water, the Pledge/Future, the brushes, and knives (to remove the incorrect casting numbers) to apply the Archer Surface Details casting marks to my Cubano when I heard snickering behind me.

After giving you notice about quitting, you'd think I do that?
:hmmm

I went back to this kit, took my time now that I know how much work was entailed, and...

Vector_Fix_001.JPG

This is how it should have fit, note how the resin lip reaches the plastic edge of the well?
Vector_Fix_002.JPG

Vector_Fix_003.JPG

Simply holding the wings together to see that they will join.

No damage to the resin wheel well either (see previous posts to view what happened).

Hey James, if I screwed it up, I would simple make new wing panels to replace the damaged ones. It wouldn't be the first time it happened to me and I had to fix it.

Regards,

uff! :blink that's thick! they seem to not have tested their product if it actually fits (like stated by you!)

tedious work but it will pay off in the end!

Pretty rough Saul,

To be honest, I have seen worse. I build whatever I need for a diorama, so I can never or rarely be selective about the kit. If it is the right subject and the only game in town, I build it. That goes even more for resin kits.

Anyway, good luck! Looks like you are gonna need it!

You just have to think of it as a challenge!

Bob

tedious work but it will pay off in the end!

Yes Laura, I hope so. Besides, I need to get some activity on my own GB!
:mpup

Pretty rough Saul, ... if it is the right subject and the only game in town, I build it.

Well Bob,

The other kits in production are the old (but still nice) Revellogram and the Eduard kits. Of all three, this is the best. My problem was that I wanted to save time by getting detail sets... isn't that the idea behind them?

I could've just gussied it up with PE from an Eduard set, or bought the Aires set. I thought I should give the Vector set a try. After all, I also bought their Mustang Wheel Well sets. Aware of the issue, I am glad I started on this one since the Mustangs will be in Silver or NMF.

Now to work on the ducting so I can move on to the cockpit.

By the way, starting with the wheel wells allows me to 'warm up' and mistakes are easier to hide underneath. This Pacific bird probably kicked up some mud too on the runways!
:pp

Regards,

Ah, but they do look good! Detail sets that actually save time? That's a new one on me! :D

Cheers, Saul-
chuk

Well, the Vector set looked great on the web, and in person. However, I don't think anyone ever bothered fitting it to a kit.

This set has been released in 2008, and this is the first time that I hear about any problem with it.

Kreighshoer said:
they seem to not have tested their product if it actually fits

You'll be surprised, but I always test ALL my sets (if they are designed for specific kit) before to release them. In case with the P-39 set, the fit is very well and doesn't require any hard surgery. But the pictures worth the thousand words, so here we go.

Upper half of the wing:

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Lower half of the wing

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Resin parts itself doesn't require any grinding or sanding at all.
IMG_0895.jpg

The result:

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

02-1.jpg

note that resin not even glued into kit's parts, after gluing there will not be any gaps at all. It may takes about 1.5 hour for both wells.

I should have bought the Aires set instead... :(

Oh yeah! Aires set are always drop fit :laugh: :laugh:

Sergey.

Back