• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TF-104G * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

Now on my bench....

So using this kit:

And these accessories:

And True Details superb resin GQ-7 seats, hopefully I can turn the raw plastic into something that looks a little like these:

I've also got a Master Models pitot tube on back-order at Hannnants in the UK. Just let's hope I don't lose the IP's (again !!). Stay tuned, I know I will. Now whilst I've got your attention, fellow MA'ers, by any chance has anybody got a spare pair of 1:48 F-104 tanks they could please let me have ?? - I'd really love to build it with the full complement of four....

:geek

Ian

TF-104G

What? :smack No cloth belts? I hope you dont loose the ip. I did on my 219 and now I have to get in the mood to fab one. This may be a real fun kit. :good:

TF-104G

Nope, couldn't get any scale linen belts and buckles, (surprising that eh ??), just have to deal with painting the superb True Details molded resin. Have to say these are absolutely superb one of the very best I've seen.

I've already started the basic painting on the seats, they're worthy of a progress thread in their own right !!...

... :hmmm Now there's an idea !!

Ian

TF-104G

Small(ish) update. Pit is all done, courtesy of the Eduard Zoom set:

The True Details seat will take a little longer. First pic is just an overall coat of Tamiya X18 satin black; second pic shows the initial medium grey dry brush just to pop-out the detail which, of course helps me get the paint on !!. The last photo is where I am right now. Basic colours on, no dry brushing or washes, all of that to come later.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More soon.

Ian

TF-104G

Great choice Ian, I think that Eduard zoom sets are perfect for modern jets. :coolio
:popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

TF-104G

Cool subject Ian,

a long way to go for AM stuff - Hannants, try these people, they will look after you, I deal with them all the time

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/

Much closer to you.

TF-104G

Cool subject Ian,

a long way to go for AM stuff - Hannants, try these people, they will look after you, I deal with them all the time

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/

Much closer to you.

You aren't wrong, Phil, but - and I promise this is true - it's still cheaper to get stuff from Hannants in the UK flown over here than to get BNA stuff flown over from Oz !!

Ian

TF-104G - Main construction done

...well it didn't take too long to get to this point !!

All built, puttied and sanded. Tip tanks have been done too, and have already got a couple of coats of Tamiya acrylic white primer on them - you'll see I've pushed them into place in the next two pics. Not a complicated build by any means but a little filler was needed, probably as a result of 'operator error' more than a fit issue with the kit.

Looks like an aeroplane now. Stay tuned, folks, paint starts next.

Ian

I need to do one of these in Canadian colours someday so I'll be :popcorn

:) ... Greetings ... :) :
Nice one Ian, always did like the F-104, it is still an interesting sight, in art, model or in person.

TF-104G - First paint on.

After the last pics, I sprayed a coat of Tamiya grey plastic primer straight from the rattle-can. Once dry I had a couple of extra putty/sand jobs, with them out of the way I rubbed the whole thing back using a piece of wet'n dry with roughly one atomic sized piece of glass - you know the one car-finishers use for that final rub-down before buffing.

That done I shot another coat of primer and repeated the rubdown again. I usuall don't spend that much effort on prep coats, but I see other folks around here doing exactly that and getting excellent results. So it seemed logical to actually make the effort.

I'm going back to enamels for this project, and have started with Xtracolour FS16495 (the very pale grey from the early USN Tactical Paint Scheme of the early 1980's), for the radome. The tanks are 'Leuchtorange' RAL2005 over Tamiya white plastic primer.

I cannot prove it to you, but it's entirely accidental/coincidental that the grey plastic primer is very close in tonal value to the underside 'Silbergrau' that I'll be spraying next.

Stay tuned.

Ian

Back