• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A-36A

Old Dog

My entry for this campaign is the HobbyCraft A-36A
a-36b01.jpg

And the obligatory time stamp
a-36b02.jpg

BTW my phone went to sleep while I was setting up the first photo, that's why the phone display looks blank.

Sprues shown below
a36-01.jpg

a36-02.jpg

a36-03.jpg

a36-04.jpg

a36-05.jpg

a36-clear.jpg

I had originally planned to built Dorothy Helen as it is very well photo documented but the AM decals I bought have it in later markings as shown below.

a-36mark1.jpg

So I decided to do a generic from the same fighter group in torch markings

a-36mark2.jpg

And for finish and weathering shoot for something like this

a-36photo1.jpg

I plan to build pretty much out of box with a few added do-dads. According to at least one online eggspurt the kit is the most accurate Allison Mustang available although it does have one shape error and I'm not telling what that is !

Let the games begin !

Ooooooooo....very cool! Are the dive flaps built right into the wing? I always though they were more protruding (like those on the Ju-88 or Pe-2)...but if they were designed built in like that, it definitely seems more aerodynamic!

I like the cover art on this scaled up Accurate Miniatures kit.
;)

I know the shape problem but, why bother?

Regards,

I know of only one who would have a fit over a shape issue, and he ain't here! Git'er done Gary!

Actually, yes, I should get some photos up over the weekend ! I know the ground pounders could used some additional air support :D

Well, OK, I didn't get back during the weekend, but let's get the show on the road anyway. :pilot

First off some general info and my goal going into this build. The kit is an upscaled version of the Accurite Miniatures Allison Mustang and Hobbycraft made no effort to embellish the detail in any way which is a shame but that's the way it goes. As such it's a simple kit with fewer total parts than the cockpit of some of the newer high tech kits. It is however reasonably accurate for all but the most anal and for one reason and another I like the early Mustangs better than the later models.

My main reason for building this kit is to try some new ideas and techniques (for me anyway) on creating the bleached out sand blasted look that most of these desert based aircraft acquired if they survived more than a few missions. I have an ulterior motive for this as I have another more ambitious build I'm planning for the future. Everything I have read concerning the war in the desert talks about how pervasive the sand and dust was, getting into everything, machinery, weapons, food, clothing and in general making life miserable. Prop wash from other planes and from a planes own prop would sand blast the finish and all those maintenance personnel climbing around on the aircraft with sand ground into the soles of their boots and walking on sand and dust covered wings would soon take its toll on the aircraft finish.

While the kit interior begs to be decked out to the nines it's not going to happen on this build. I have two more early tangs in the stash and one of those may get the treatment but it ain't happening on this build.

As with most kits I started with the pit. Specifically the radio rack. This is what the kit supplies for the transmitters and receivers
a-36-b02.jpg

Some pretty nondescript looking blobs that should look something like this
a-36-b10.jpg

So using my Waldron punch I punched out a bunch of pieces to make knobs and dials and added some placard decals for nameplates and data placards. Not duplicates for sure but a bit better I think
a-36-b03.jpg

I was going to add some wiring as well but it would pretty much disappear behind the pilots seat so I decided against it.

On the cockpit floor I added some Airscale dials to the fuel gauges and added the rather prominent fuel selector dial
a-36-b04.jpg

The receivers mounted on the radio rack with the battery
a-36-b05.jpg

On the port side I added some missing levers, some placards and the control for the dive brakes. I wanted to redo the throttle quadrant but ended up going with the kit part, maybe next time.
a-36-b07.jpg

The dive brake control is not perfect, but close
a-36-b09.jpg

On the starboard side more placards and added a gauge and some toggle switches so it didn't look so barren
a-36-b08.jpg

When I got to the seat I found I was lacking not only good info on the harness and belts these birds were equipped with but also any 1/32 scale US PE belts. Most of the photos I have are from restored birds, one has what looks similar to Sutton harness the other just doesn't look WWII vintage. There is a diagram in the walk around book showing the wooden seat with harness and belts but they look a little wimpy so I'm still undecided at this point, may just wing it.

None of the cockpit parts except the radios has a wash on it yet going to wait till its all together and remember the dust was all pervasive !

More on this soon I hope !

What an enjoyable update! Great post Gary and really nice cockpit.

Why would you not go with just the standard US/allied seatbelts?

Well, I guess the question is what is standard, when I went looking Eduard has what they label as both early and late WWII early late and then there are these listed as P-51 The early ones appear to be belts only, no harness. I have a photo of an Allison Mustang with a harness like the P-51 style, which looks more like a British Sutton harness to me, I don't have my resource with me but when I get a chance I'll post the diagram of the wooden seat with harness. I think the A-36 had the wooden seat or at least some did. Sometimes it's not helpful to know too much :gogo

Very cool stuff. Radu Brisnan makes some nice belts. You can get them here http://www.ultracast.ca/products/RB_Productions/32-Scale/RB-P32008G/default.htm

James

Those look nice James ! The seat called out in the instructions most closely resembles the wooded seat shown here.
a-36-b11.jpg
So that arrangement of the belts and harness I guess is what I'm after. I suspect I can cobble it up with parts of other sets, there isn't all that much difference in them anyway. I suspect if Hobbycraft had molded them on the seat looking like that reviewers would have lamented that the molded in ones look too small and that after market sets should be acquired :rotf

I may have a spare set Gary but I don't know what your time frame is on moving forward with this. Not sure I can put my hand on them right way..got the cleaning bug this weekend and I can't find a damn thing! :mpup

But if you're interested in those RB Belts I can tell you they rock! That's what I used on the Mustang.

Thanks Bob, but I think I can cobble up something, I want to get the pit finished and buttoned up so I can get on to fun things ! I decided I didn't like my first pass on the IP and stripped it down today, like to get the fuselage buttoned up this weekend !

That wooden seat looks as uncomfortable as hell !

Back