• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photo Review: Trumpeter 35 M1083 FMTV Cargo Truck

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
This is a well researched truck which matches the TMs I have on it. I don't know about the fit and the engineering did leave me scratching my head as to why an approach was taken but I do believe the modelers will be happy in the end. The decals are not up to par so I do hope Archer will produce a replacement dash and placard set (but he won't unless someone can provide the references needed).

TrumpeterM1083FMTVbox.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueAfront.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueArear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueB.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueBfront.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueBrear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueC.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueCfront.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueCrear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueEfront.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueErear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueH.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueWA.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueWAfront.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueWArear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueWBfront.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueWBrear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSprueWC.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVSpruexClear.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxCab1.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxCab2.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxCab3.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxDecals.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxPE.JPG

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxTires.JPG

Regards,

Great pic's Saul.

I've seriously considered building this truck b/c the company I work for builds parts for the real thing ( part that I helped design a little bit), but at 70 bucks for the kit, its a bit too expensive for my tastes.

Supposedly Trumpeter is also doing the armored version which runs an armored cab instead of the softside like this one, but its been a couple of years since they announced it and AFAIK nothing has ever showed up.

Cool beans! Maybe the odd sequence involves the interchangeable parts for the armored version?

Looks very interesting...what part of the instructions/assembly are wonky?
The instructions are fine. Some parts could have been split along panels or seams but weren't. This causes them to have glue seams that need attention in the visible areas.

Supposedly Trumpeter is also doing the armored version which runs an armored cab instead of the softside like this one, but its been a couple of years since they announced it and AFAIK nothing has ever showed up.

They still are, more than one design has been looked at and I posted an image, in the Latest Acquisitions thread, of what they will eventually release on the M1078 body. As mentioned, an easy swap of the cabin to have an armored three axle truck.

Maybe the odd sequence involves the interchangeable parts for the armored version?

The sprues do jump around a bit to allow for the half dozen trucks in the works.

Compare this to the decal...
TM92320366101fig2.1.jpg

TrumpeterM1083FMTVxDecals.JPG

Regards,

I've seriously considered building this truck b/c the company I work for builds parts for the real thing ( part that I helped design a little bit), but at 70 bucks for the kit, its a bit too expensive for my tastes.

Adam, if you want to do a build review and can agree to follow my easy rules, I would send the kit to you for the cost of postage.

If the link above doesn't work, here are the rules to follow:
[ol]

[li] Post receipt of product in Latest Acquisitions.[/li]
[li] Start a new thread in the Campaign or forum you wish.[/li]
[li] Post an update each week even if it to say there was no progress.[/li]
[li] Build it as you wish, Out of the Box is NOT mandatory. I do ask that you show the part being modified or replaced before hand which will help explain your choice of modification or replacement.[/li]
[li] Have fun with the build.[/li]
[li] Take nice clear images. Please try to use the Modelers' Alliance gallery.[/li]
[li] Smash kit if necessary but refer to number 6.[/li]
[li] There is no time limit, refer to number 4.[/li]
[li] Refer to number 5.[/li]
[li] When you reach the end, grab all the pertinent constructive criticism and put it all together so that a cohesive build review may be posted with front page coverage.[/li]
[li] Refer to number 5[/li]
[/ol]

PM me if this interests you.

Regards,

Adam,

I just got the two axle truck with armored cab. Once I swap out the cab for this truck's, I will have the armored three axle M1083 I want and a leftover unarmored two axle M1078. Are you still interested in the latter?

Regards,

Sure Saul!

OK, I will make it public. The kit will be yours if you cover postage and agree to build it online as outlined here:
https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/news-reviews-and-shows/122257-photo-review-trumpeter-35-m1083-fmtv-cargo-truck#122331

I will pack it up and send it out as soon as I can after you agree.

Regards and enjoy,

Back