• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rusty's last Pontiac * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

After running Pontiac Grand Prix bodied cars for Kodiak and Miller GD, in 1994 Rusty Wallace started driving Thunderbird bodied rides. This is the Monogram kit of the 1993 car (much deeper front air-dam than previous years). I'll be using the outstanding Powerslide decals which lets you finish any of the #2 Pontiacs and the 94/95 T'birds.

So enough yada, yada, yada; here's the initial photo's to start with:

h6bd2c18.jpg

h20c4094.jpg

Not too much to see, I've primed the interior, chassis and cage (and a lot of other bits & pieces) with Tamiya acrylic grey straight from the rattle can. The front dam will need some blending to get a flush fit, the rear valance will need more work and possibly a small miracle... par-for-the-course with these old Monogram kits, that's one of the reasons I prefer the AMT/Ertl kits, they don't put-up nearly so much of a fight.

AFN.

Ian.

Rusty's last Pontiac...

Forgot to add to the first post...

h3a69fdf.jpg

When it's done, it's supposed to look something like this !! :coolio

Ian.

Rusty's last Pontiac...

Yep all the good drivers quit about the same time ..... Rusty was one of my favorites ..... :popcorn

Rusty's last Pontiac...

....well except for Mark Martin, he just kept going like the Energizer Bunny !!, Remember I'm a Brit so I look at NASCAR from a more distant perspective than most of you folks here, but from that perspective, I think a lot of the drivers who'd been on the circuit since the late 70's & 80's and were thinking about retiring, had their minds-made-up for them with the death of Dale and the influx of drivers like Tony Stewart, Matt Kenseth, Kevin Harvick etc.

OK, so yesterday evening the sun came back for an autumn encore, so I sat out on the patio (NZ=Deck, US=porch), with a mug of good coffee and some old 80's tunes on the MP3 player and set about the long PSR (putty/sand/repeat) exercise.

Two hours and three mugs later later it looked like this.

h554f1de.JPG

h358e335.JPG

hb64251a.JPG

Blended, smoothed and polished ready for priming. I’ll prime the lower flanks Tamiya acrylic white, ready for the yellow (Powerslide provide big ‘slabs’ of yellow film, but there’s no way they are going to neatly go around those curves !!). The rest of the bodyshell I’ll prime with the usual Tamiya acrylic grey then base-coat with very dark grey – probably Tamiya ‘Tank Grey’.

AFN

Ian.

Rusty's last Pontiac...

I think we have a new word, well acronym - PSR! LOL

Good work Ian, amazing patience with all that body work.

:popcorn

Rusty's last Pontiac...

Wasn't planning on painting this today, but what the h*ll...

h477ef76.JPG

h0fad996.JPG

h030053d.JPG

My own mix of orangey yellow Tamiya enamel applied over the white primer coat. Three 'wet' coats, remove the masking... Ta Daaaa !!

More after the weekend once it's fully dried & cured.

Ian.

Rusty's last Pontiac...

I was alwasy an earnhardt fan. I know his dad raced at our local track back in the 50s. thats when Nascar would have events all over the south over a weekend.

looking good so far Ian

Rusty's last Pontiac...

Strangely I never took to Earnhardt, but I do have Juniors last (2006) Monte Carlo in the stash. The 'Grand Plan' such as it is, is to build one car from 2006 back to 1986. I've got a few built, a few more in the stash and a spreadsheet already prepped !!

If I stick to the plan I'll end-up with 5 Monte Carlo's, 5 Pontiacs, 3 T'birds, 2 each Luminas, Taurus (Taurii ??) & Dodges and one apiece Olds & Buick.

As I said, really enjoying these two at the moment, and I've got the 98/99 Taurus to repaint and re-decal, so potentially there are three to move into the cabinet in the near future.

AFN

Ian.

Rusty's last Pontiac...

Nice Job Ian ..... I find it funny that there is a NASCAR following down under .... Most people don't get NASCAR ...... their attitude is ..... go fast turn left ....... ask Skippy ...... what happens when you go too fast down pit row ..... or one of your crew men lose a tire out of the box ..... and don't dare drop a lug nut ..... Your doing a great job ...... on these two car builds ..... :popcorn basically if you cross the checkered line first you & your team get the most money ...... I do enjoy a good low flying wreck every once in a while ....... let's face it these or low flying vehicles design to fly on the ground ...... the new Ford Fusion was wind tunnel tested just as a NASCAR body ...... :eek:ldguy

Rusty's last Pontiac...

I grew up watchin' NASCAR on tv and at the local tracks here in Calif. Had an uncle who raced Sprint cars back in the 60s & 70s and I went with him many times. I remember sitting inside holding the steering wheel while him & my dad & others loaded/off loaded it. On occasion, depending on the track & who was there, uncle Roger use to take me for a spin around the track! He was going to get me into it when I turned 18 but, he passed away a few months before then :bang head
Did some racing in So. Cal & at RIverside Speedway before they shut it down. Man, those were the days!!

Rusty's last Pontiac...

Main paint done:

hc04c150.JPG

h86fa21c.JPG

h9873c6e.JPG

BAM !! - Tamiya TS-14 Glossy Black acrylic straight from the rattle-can, not decanted. First time I've ever painted a car in this way - the guys over at Randy Ayres place seem to get fantastic results, so I thought 'why not ?? :pinch:.

Well it worked and it looks fantastic. Very happy modeller right now :dance

Ian.

Back