• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Call to Arms: The Duke's Leopold Rail Gun in 1/72

Duke Maddog

Here is my other submission for this campaign here. I'll be building the old Hasegawa 1/72 scale Leopold Rail Gun so I can complete my collection of German Rail Guns.

Here is the box top with date:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_I.jpg

Contents still in pristine condition:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_II.jpg

And here is the progress I was able to make on this at Hobby Day:

I didn't do much to this one; I only cemented the two halves of the barrel together:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_III.jpg

That's all I got done on that so far. Stay tuned for more as I hope to make further progress on this soon. Thanks for looking in.

Sweet.

Unfortunately I tossed mine a month or so back when I was doing a shop clean/purge. I started the kit when it first came out then boxed it up (probably waiting for the PE set to come out). Instructions and pieces were missing and I couldn't find them online so away it went...

Looking forward to your build, I've wanted to build one since seeing the real thing at Aberdeen way back.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments!

Dave this is cool. Once I get it done, I'll have every 1/72 scale rail gun ever issued.

Ausf, I'm sorry to hear that. If I'd known, I would have bought it from you. I have a parts only kit of this that I picked up that probably would have allowed me to finish it. I do remember that pic of you at Aberdeen.

Thanks Mike!

Okay, here's my latest progress on this CTA submission.

I'll start with when I assembled the lifting apparatus inside the hull of the thing as shown here:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_V.jpg

Later, I also assembled the main ammo box/crane system with the little ammo cart:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_VI.jpg

I know, I'm kinda working backwards on this, but I wanted to get the simpler things done first before I had to build and line up all the wheels for this.

Finally I decided it was time to get the wheel/axle assemblies finished. I put them all together; making sure they were all lined up straight, then I installed them on the trucks:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_VII.jpg

Later I finished the trucks up, adding all the bits and bobs needed:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_VIII.jpg

After that, I finished up the ammo crane/generator box, except for the railings:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_IX.jpg

I know the shell on the top looks crooked, but it’s an optical illusion from the angle. I checked it.
I left the railings off this and the trucks because I know I’d break them if I added them now. I’ll put them all on last. I did the same with the Dora and it worked.

Finally, I also got the main gun installed on the main gun carriage and finished the basic construction on it. It works:

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_X.jpg

WIP_CTA_III_Leopold_Railgun_XI.jpg

That’s all I have for now.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the great compliments.

Helios, you think this is big? You should have seen my Dora!

This does turn into a real nice build. Still have the one I built years ago and yours is looking good Mark! What color scheme you going to paint it? Grey or sand/brown?

Thanks Paul! Yeah, this is quite the gun alright! I plan on doing the sand/brown combo on it for more interest. I have a grey gun (Dora) and a couple Morser Karls in three-tone so this will make a nice variation to the collection.

Yes, well enough. I can function again, but every now and then the metal fragments remind me they are still in there. Nothing I can't handle. I do hope to get more done on the workbench soon.

Back