• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251 : Thanks & Over and out!

wds

Yes this one. (#35020 in 1/35th scale)

Hanomag_1.jpg

This is one of Tamiya's early offerings (from 1973 - :eek:hmy: ). it has some fit and design issues, but nothing that cannot be overcome with a little thought and effort. It's interesting to see how far the Tamiya kits have come over the years. I like them alot. On the plus side, you can pick up this kit for around $13-14 usd. It would be a good candidate for a group build or as a starter for a beginner.
Anyway, I was looking for something to knockout quickly and have some fun and work on my painting and finishing techniques. (Aren't they all ?)

I started with some of the equipment for the exposed interior. I used a mishmash of kit parts and spares from the spares box.

Hanomag_5.jpg

The layout of the weapons and canteens is unrealistically regular and linear I know. So there I said it first.

Hanomag_6.jpg

Hanomag_7.jpg

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251

Wow, great work! I want to build up one of these soon, so this will be interesting to me as well.

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251

Thanks Mike!
Thanks Tony! Cheers.
Thanks Bob. Sorry for my absence. Do I need a note? :hmmm :laugh:
Thanks Sherm!
Thanks Luiz!
Thanks iambrb!
Thanks 135engineer!
Thanks Swordsman! :soldier

Here it is buttoned up with base coats of paint. Tamiya XF-60 (dark yellow)
A small fit issue with the nose plate that some sanding of the front hull solved. The piece under the left front fender (over the muffler can) took a lot of carving down to get it to work at all. I don't what was going on there. Wheels are going to be painted on the sprues for ease of handling.

Thanks for looking! (y)

Cheers,

Bill

Hanomag_8.jpg

Hanomag_9.jpg

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251

Looking good. All the fidly bits look great as does the leather seats. Nice weathering on the water barrel to. Really like it.
James

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251

Very Nice work Bill :good: :popcorn

The wear in the interior and all the add ins look fantastic.
Keep up the great work and keep posting them images .:coolio

Michael

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251

I have to say that is not the easiest to make look good but you are definitely doing it. It looks great can't wait to see more.

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251

Thanks Terry!
Thanks James!
Thanks for the hall pass Bob!
Thanks Mike!
Thanks Luiz!
Thanks 135engineer!
Thanks Tom!
Thanks raiderman!

I'll see if I can get some decals and camo on this thing this weekend.

Stay tuned. :D

Bill

Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251 Decals & Camo

I applied decals first and clear coated over the top of them to seal them.
I attempted to achieve a look that depicted a vehicle that had arrived behind the lines with it's base yellow color and with its markings, and then had some camo applied in the field. I wanted the camo to be beat up and scratched, so I used some recently purchased AK "worn effects" acrylic fluid (which is a supposedly a better product {more consistent?} than hairspray.) I applied several light coats, let it dry, and masked the decals with putty (bluetack or something similar).
Sprayed the brown camo paint.
Results:The putty damaged some of the decals, and the camo washed almost clean off with the application of water (I ran it under a faucet).
So … a bit of a learning curve there.
I fixed what I could of the decals, masked them (again!) with liquid mask (this time), and repainted the brown camo stripes (following the remnants of the the previous attempt) without the "effects" fluid.

Roll on.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

Hanomag_10.jpg

Hanomag_11.jpg

Hanomag_12.jpg

Back