• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard 2A4 * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

Inspired by Ron's build of the RoG kit for the Modern Armour Campaign last year, I bought the TAKOM Leopard 1A5, which let's be honest is a wonderful exercise in plastic mould engineering, but 710 pieces go to make up the tracks and I'm an unhealthy 52 year old male with blood pressure issues... Not likely to live long enough to get it done, so I sold it last week after buying the MUCH easier Hobbyboss 2A4 that you see here:

ha9a1872.jpg

hf9bd494.jpg

Now the sharp-eyed here will see that this has got... Rubber tracks, and I know in these days rubber tracks are akin to heresy or treason, but not too much of the tracks are going to be seen, and anyway, I stand a much higher chance of living to complete this build, so most unusually for me, within a couple of days I set-about this project.

First thing I noticed (apart from the sheer size of the beast), is the very low parts count, and the very large number of mould-release /sink holes, they're everywhere !! :frantic The other 'issue' which surprised the h*ll out of me was just how soft the moulded details are, very reminiscent of 1970's Heller kits, especially surprising as the Hobbyboss V100 that I'm also building at the moment has the sharpest details I've seen outside a Hasegawa 1:48 aircraft kit... Go figure !!

This is the first sub-assembly I started with. The turret bustle is very well done, made-up of 21 parts in total, but I swear to you every last one has at least two 'sink holes' to fill:

h8e41d39.JPG

Ok so some time after the filling and sanding, I had the major turret sections done and undercoated with Tamiya 'Field Grey', I even used the kit barrel, which needed the numerous rings and vent holes re-scribed due to the aforementioned soft detail issues.

h52fcff3.JPG

hfb11fd1.JPG

hcbe1545.JPG

The upper hull was finished in just one session in a hair over thirty minutes. The lower hull & running gear (much simplified) was done in two sessions, but still in total, less than an hour on the bench. So this morning when I made it to the bench, this is where I was up to:

h82c1d96.JPG

h6c4b0b0.JPG

h0624bb6.JPG

I mentioned at the start of this, just how MASSIVE this vehicle is, so to emphasise that, here it is sitting alongside a Tamiya 1:35 Jeep...

h7b0e95f.JPG

...Y'see, no matter what you've been told, guys, SIZE really is important. Until next early week, thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions or make any comments and/or criticisms.

AFN.

Ian.

Leopard 2A4

Looks great so far Ian! (y)

Too bad about the sink holes,that could be a real pita for most of us,filling and sanding it;no fun job.

Gr,Ron.

Leopard 2A4

Looks like you're out of your slump. :rotf
(y)

I wouldn't say that, Bob. Simply using these AFV builds as 'occupational therapy'. Not interested in aircraft kits whatsoever just now; no disrespect to dedicated armour modellers but 'building' these kits doesn't tax or frustrate, and painting them is an absolute joy. Quite the opposite of aircraft modelling.

Of course by the middle of the week I may feel entirely different.

Ian.

Leopard 2A4

Tamiya 'NATO Green' mixed with about 25% X15 light green and sprayed at around 17psi in two thinnish coats:

hbbe2e0d.JPG

he49602d.jpg

h1608052.JPG

hab87d5e.jpg

hadd0221.JPG

h9de2016.jpg

hd00f82d.JPG

h23b0301.jpg

Two lots of photos taken within minutes of each other with different backgrounds and different light sources the lower of each 'pair' has been edited through the facilities that come with 'Photobucket'. And I'm still not certain which is the truest representation of the actual tone !! - Pre shading looks good tho' wouldn't you say...

More tomorrow,

Ian.

Leopard 2A4

Nice Job Ian ... looks very good ... gotta run to the bunker now ... :soldier :soldier :soldier

Thanks, but running ain't gonna help, it's a Leo 2 with the BEST gun in the world and it will shoot you through the bunker !! - In the meantime, I did something this morning that I haven't done for a VERY long time. I ditched the honey-do's and headed straight for the bench..

ha5edd57.jpg

hbed4b65.jpg

haf36af3.jpg

h841574a.jpg

h2a1151a.JPG

hded0b21.jpg

...yeah, y'all can tell that I'm lovin' this, right ??.

Tamiya glossy black mixed with around 30% 'Field Grey' then 'NATO Brown mixed with around 20% 'Flesh' all sprayed freehand following the RoG paint instructions that I downloaded direct from their own site (I trust the Germans to get their paint instructions 'righter' than HobbyBoss). Still a couple of touch-ups to do, because when the 'skirts are added the whole 'feel' of the camo pattern changes.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More soon. :soldier

Ian.

Leopard 2A4 - Decals here too !!

Revell decals for a Spanish vehicle came courtesy of our very own ReconRon - Thanks friend, as you can see I put them to good use.

hc09290f.JPG

h070b91e.JPG

Weathering starts next week, stay tuned.

Ian.

Back