• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

StuG III - Progress 14th June (almost there !)

ij001

I've mentioned elsewhere, that my airbrush is 'offline' at the moment until a replacement nozzle arrives fron 'Blighty'. In the meantime, I re-ordered my stash and dug this out:

and some bits and pieces I bought over a period of 18months:

Got a few references too !!

And this morning I made a start:

The running gear/suspension just dropped into place exactly as it should, then came the Eduard etched Zimmerit. Something entirely new for me, and so far it seems to be working-out very well. It's measured precisely for the Tamiya kit and Eduard do need to be congratulated on getting that 'spot-on'. All looks very good so far, but I'm fully aware that can change as fast as a very fast thing !!

Thanks for taking the time to look. As ever I'll try to answer any questions and comments.

AFN

Ian

StuG III - First armour project in a l-o-n-g time

Looks like a good start. Photoetch zimmerett that is a new one on me :popcorn. Are you just using ca glue for it?

Looks like things are going fine so far. If you are getting back into armor a Tamiya kit is where to start. They may not be absolutely accurate, but they go together great.

:popcorn

Yes I am. Did think about 'bedding-it-down' on a layer of thinned putty, but decided that was too complicated, and unecassary. CA seems to be working, but I am being cautious with it.

Ian

Youre of to a good start on this one, tamiya kits are a pleasure to build :) have the Stug III ausf B from tamiya, just trying to get some courage to start with the PE fenders that i bought for it....
//Mats

Looks like a good start. Photoetch zimmerett that is a new one on me :popcorn. Are you just using ca glue for it?

Yep, I used it on a Tamiya Panther I did a while back. Problem with it is it can't do complex curves well, or at least I couldn't do it with it.

Looking forward to this Ian. :popcorn

Nice (y) (y) (y) Not much of one for pe zimmerit, but that doesnt look bad at all. How did you bend it?
James

Glad to see you are doing some armor too, the Tamiya kit looks very nice.

Matrixone

Not much of one for pe zimmerit, but that doesnt look bad at all. How did you bend it?
James

So far, James, the only bending is around that joint on the sloping front glacis. Just the back of the knife blade and some gentle pressure. The rest seems to be easy flat panels.

Thanks for the comments, chaps. Since I posted this I've dug-deep into the three large AFV boxes that came with us from the UK. Although I 'jettisoned' a lot of my stash, there's still some good stuff there... including a beautiful Tasca Firefly VC.... Mmmmmm :soldier

Ian

looking forward to the next steps,Ian! :popcorn

Greetings,Ron.

Yes I thought that was a bend point. Amazing work bending it without any damage. Well done (y) (y) (y) (y)
Looking forward to more, and the Tasca Firefly, well that would be uber cool.
James

Thanks James, but I think luck works hand-in-glove with any ability in this hobby !!\

Encountered my first 'issue' this morning when I was assembling the gun-mount, mantlet and barrel. The Jordi Rubio part that I bought to replace the kit barrel, is a generic KwK 76, not specifically designed for the Tamiya StuG so therefore is 28mm too long.

Measure, tape, saw, pray.

Results later !!

Ian

StuG III - Main construction done.

So here’s the aforementioned ‘cut’ measured, marked and taped ready for the saw.

It worked fine and over a couple of weekend sessions I finished-off all the main construction:

As this is written all seems to have gone pretty much to plan, and the next task, getting an undercoat on it should go smoothly later in the week. Especially so since the new nozzle for my airbrush arrived in the mail this afternoon.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I’ll be continuing this build alongside the F-100 and RF-4 (posted in the appropriate forums), in the next few weeks. More soon.

Ian

StuG III - Main construction done.

And here it is in a thin coat of Tamiya (acrylic) Khaki.

Will finish the upper hull work next and shoot another light coat of Khaki, then start the pre-shading. More toward the end of the week. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian

Back