• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Normandy Well Variations

Michael Bishop

I want to start off by apologizing for not contributing any comments about any of the really creative work you have all been submitting. I really am happy to sponsor the build and just sit and watch the parade go by. None of you need my input anyway.

I assume the kits have all arrived to the far corners of the modeling world by now.

I have been able to take a couple of days off of work from my regular job and find some time to follow up on a few things I have been thinking about. I've been reading the nice comments about the kit and the material and I had intended to write a little bit about the Normandy Well kit and how it came to be.

The Normandy Well was one of the very first kits offered by MPD Studios when we first started over 9 years ago.
We did a fair bit of experimenting with materials, process, contractors and subject matter.

The kit is cast from a hybrid of resin and ceramic that makes it a little bit unique. The combining of the materials was a good compromise of keeping the kit affordable and sturdy. Not as brittle as a pure plaster cast kit and not as expensive as a pure resin cast kit. One advantage of using the material is that the well could be designed as an actual kit that required/allowed some assembly. Another advantage was the elimination of needing to prime and seal the kit for painting. The material allows for some freehanded washes and stains and the paint soaks into it slower than pure plaster as it seals it to some degree.

The disadvantage of the material was the distortion of some of the parts, either through the demolding process or the hand cleanup. Also the weight became an issue on our larger kits like the North African Street Scene.

We still have a good quantity of those early cast kits that can ship in a flat rate box for relatively cheap, whenever we figure out how to offer that option on the website...

Back to the assembly aspect of the well. We wanted it in multiple parts to allow for some customization in how it might be asembled. A one piece casting would not have allowed for that. We envisioned a lot of our early kits (and still try with our latest kits) as 3-D postcards of places in Europe that people may have visited, or have wanted to visit. We want all of our kits to be buildable by people who aren't necessarily hobbyists and who don't have a lot of specialized tools or paints.

For someone who hasn't built a model before, the well may be a little bit of a challenge and for someone with experience, the well might be the impetus for some more elaborate detailing. We didn't include the small details like the bucket supports or spouts but hope everyone will rise to the occasion and "source" them from things around the house, if not their "spares" box. Any seams and gaps between parts are an opportunity to experiment with filler putty, spackle, super glue, or whatever you have at hand.

Our goal with our kits is to provide some intellectual challenge with assembly and some level of satisfaction in problem solving and creative thinking.

Everyone in this build has the right attitude and I'm excited to see how all of them come together. I wanted to show a few examples of how the kit might be modified to change the look and size in case people might be stuck for ideas. I've only cut and glued them so far. I'll do my best to paint them as soon as I can. I addded spouts and bucket supports from styrene rod and stick. I cut the parts with a very cheap bandsaw I have in my shop but the material can be cut with a razor saw without too much difficulty. Here are the results so far. I'm trying to add the image from Photobucket and I hope it works.

NormandyWells.jpg

1. I cut a section out of the basin and brought it back towards the column. I cut the base pad smaller also.
2. I removed a section of the basin slab to lower the column. I also cut the pyramid top piece smaller.
3. I cut one section of blocks from the top of the column, cut the pyramid smaller, eliminated the stepped cornice and the base plate.

That's it for now. I hope I'm helping anyone with creative block a little bit.
Mike

Well that is brilliant Michael :D (sorry for the pun) ! It has helped me out anyway ! :) , Now where did I put my razor saw !

Jenny :kiss:

How often we forget the freedom of creativity we all have! Excellent suggestions, Mike- and so well described. Thanks for the kit- I have some rather diabolical plans for mine...

Cheers!
chuk

I am not convinced the samples I modified are going to be necessarily better than the original design but at least some people may see it as an opportunity to experiment with the painting aspect by using a different palette.
The #1 example doesn't look all that different of course, except that it has a smaller footprint if you wanted to squeeze it against a wall maybe. The #2 and #3 examples already look more Mediterranean to me. As is pronounced all too often where I work, "We'll fix it in the painting process..."

Hi Chuk: Diabolical sounds intriguing to me!

Speaking of diabolical, here are a couple of images of wells in Brugges, Belgium to show how you might want to replace our kit parts with other elements you have at hand to give even more possibilities of a unique piece. You can cut off our two little lion head spouts and replace them with another design or even one spout. Even one that is a horses head, although I think the one in the photo is a pretty famous well with a story. You can leave off the top parts and replace them with a statue of some sort. And I think the flower box is a nice touch of color too.
BruggesFountains.jpg

It would be diabolical if the kit was so modified as to be unrecognizable as an MPD product but there were no stipulations on this build and creativity shouldn't be stifled in this situation, in my opinion.

Oh, before I forget, easy water can be made by filling the basin with a block of plastic or other scrap to the water level you want, painting it a dark color (your opinion of what color water would be in an old stone basin) and finishing it with a few coats or more of clear nail polish topcoat to get a nice wet shine. I'm sure you all have access to that product...too many jokes come to mind. The water coming from the spouts can be made from heating and stretching clear sprue. Perhaps dangerous work, especially if the open bottle of clear topcoat is nearby the flame. I apologize if I'm making assumptions that a lot of people don't want to spend money on clear casting resin, or don't want to mess with it.

That's the way I'd do it.
Mike

:) Thanks for the great input Michael. Much appreciated ideas and background info/ ref stuff. I might just add again that I love the texture of the material - great innovation.

Ian.

MIKE,

Thanks for the Great Input & for the Chance to Model this Fountain in the Diorama. I hope this relationship continues ! Thanx again MIKE !!

ERIK

Couldn't help it Chuck, just jumped out at me. But this does bring up a question that was asked earlier.

Did these artesian wells run constantly? you can see the water coming from the spout in this picture. One would assume that you would get your fresh water from the spout and not the basin.

Also notice the run off on the corner of the basin on the left. it's the corner closest to our POV. you can see the algae and moss growing and the erosion of the street and surface it's built on. Lots of things to see here.

Erik I think you're talking about this one.

st-marie-du-mont-ofuntain-sept-2009-n-for-normandy.jpg

st-come-du-mont-fountain.jpg

Bam Erik, I think you nailed it. Check out the iron bracket up towards the top, the rod. the roof of the building in the background. Pretty amazing.

Back