• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard2's Spitfire Mk.IX

Leopard2

Finally I made it. Here is my project for the fantastic CTA 2 campaign. I decided in ICM's Spitfire Mk.IX flown by Polish Ace Euginiusz Horbaczewski. My plan is to finish this model in RAF Desert camo. There are a ton of parts to this kit including a full engine and some maintenance shop equipment including some RAF ground personal. But I will just do the plane.

Joe

Here is the first update. Got the engine and the cockpit sans instrument panel build up. Even though the detail is pretty nice, the fit of this kit leaves a little to be desired. Most of the locating pins didn't it and I had to cut them off. If the parts had locating pins that is. Also the parts have a lot of flash and prominent parting lines. I knew there was a reason that I usually try to stay away from ICM.

Joe

Thanks guys. It is a while since I posted an update. I got the engine and the pilot seat painted. I added an Eduard Sutton Harness. To attach the harness I had to cut a hole into the rear armor plate. I am not going to do any weathering to the cockpit since I plan on keeping the canopy closed. So far I am not to thrilled about this kit. The fit leaves a lot to be desired. Here are a few more progress pictures.

Joe

Thanks Dave...but it ends here. I would like to take a Mulligan. This kit is a %$#&%$#@ to say nicely. The fit got from bad to worse. Yesterday I added the engine to the fuselage and today I was planning to close up the engine cowl. That didn't work. The upper part of the cowling does not fit at all because the valve covers are way to big for the cowling. Unfortunately the engine holds the exhaust stacks and the propeller shaft not to mention that the engine mounts to flimsy and do not hold much.I could try to pry the valve covers off but I am afraid that the engine will not survive. I should have known from the beginning to keep my fingers of an ICM kit.

Joe

That's a shame, nice looking powerplant. Well pull something else out of the stash and let's retire this.

Back