• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
This is a big ol' dang box man, and it's stuffed.

Magnets?? Looked over the instructions, first 6 steps are the engine alone. Magnets are used to hold in place removable panels and landing gear components so you can swap out up or down scheme.. to me, this has no value. I don't want to build a toy, I can see losing one part or another some time in the future. I may seal it up to prevent that.

P51D012.jpg

P51D013.jpg

Open the box and you get a really nice little clear plastic folder with color poster of the Mustang and other offerings (I didn't even study the other side. One thing that caught my eye was the Boeing Officially Licensed Product logo. Somewhere in Boeings history they bought NAA, I'm sure someone can tell us that history.
P51D014.jpg

All these engine parts!

P51D015.jpg

Nuts, screws and even a little screwdriver!
P51D016.jpg

Also included are some color posters, a nice little reference book, I haven't looked over it closely yet but at least it would be a nice keepsake. Two sheets of PE, canopy mask and a pretty cool metal nameplate for the base. Like all these plastic bases, I would have liked to see something more substantial, I think the completed aircraft will be heavier than the stand making it top heavy, though it does have a wide stance.

Looking over the instructions I see call outs on even where to apply glue and what type of glue. Tamiya has really put forth a great effort on this kit. One thing that pops out at me about the right hand panel in the cockpit. there's no IFF panel there. Now I'll admit my own ignorance and say that I do not know when the IFF panel was first used, never looked into it. But a lot of the reference stuff I have on the Mustang cites it on the right hand side towards the rear of that panel. Maybe someone can set me straight if it should be there or not. Guess all that depends on the variant you're doing.

But what I can see, you can do any variant of the D model Mustang out of this kit. What I didn't see is weapons. only the 75gal tank and 108 gal tank. No hard bombs, no rockets. Maybe later? I also see a list of parts not used according to the instructions. Future use maybe?

Well that's my initial report, I'm digging right in to this as I'm in a Mustang mood. Thanks for reading and indulging. :mpup

Back in the 60's North American and Rockwell merged or Rockwell bought NAA, not sure on that, much later Rockwell decided to get out of the airplane business and sold that part to Boeing, so everything NAA ever made aircraft wise is now proprietary property of Boeing. Boeing is responsible for the B-1 program doing updates and providing spares and last year proposed an updated version of the OV-10 to fulfill an Air Force specification for light armed recon ship. I haven't heard if any choice has been made on that front. If you go to the Boeing website they have a legacy section listing the histories of most of the NAA aircraft.

And shouldn't this be in the news and reviews forum ?

BTW they did the magnet thing on the Spitfire as well !

Thanks Gary, Soon as I saw Rockwell I remembered ol' Bob Hoover and his yellow Mustang and it all came back to me.

No, this isn't a review Gary, this is a build thread. I'm starting ASAP. This was just to throw my two cents worth in. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of reviews by much more qualified folks out there.

Opps. sorry about that Gary, saw I started this in the intro forum, fixed that and moved to Wesendorf Field.

Do what no reviewer has done yet and post photographs of the 'parts not for use' so as to guess what they are and what is coming!

Regards,

Now I got everyone's attention...i"m sure to screw it up! :pilot

Saul you asked for a unused parts list, this is not complete. Many of the parts on the list are duplicates, guess they were working with the economy of the sprues and space for parts and such.

But the ones that are for future variants are there. I give you the PE @ sheet.

aPE.jpg

Parts 5, 8, 11, 14 are not used. 11 and 14, to me, looks like parts of that rocket tube that would be mounted. Part a20, I know you already see it, I think that's pretty clear to be the ring for the camera port on the F6 Mustang.

And b
bPE.jpg

Part b12 is not use and I have no idea what that is.

d1620.jpg

Various designs of the rear view mirror?

d3panel.jpg

my missing IFF panel and other variants of panels. From what I see, most every panel configuration is in this kit.

d5152.jpg

Alternate radio set. I think this was a later radio.

e1415.jpg

Now this is interesting. I thought his was a part for the ducting of the supercharger but it's not called for and I'm pretty sure it's not a duplicate.
h121314.jpg

Don't know what these are, H12,13,14.

And a shot of the figures per request.
figures.jpg

Well I got some honey doos to do today. Maybe tomorrow I can join up some plastic and get started with this monster.

Pup those look like a solenoid,a water trap fuel filter and a vacuum manifold.

Almost bought one of those Tamiya's,thank goodness they were out of stock. :gogo
Tony lee

Hey Moon one of those mirrors may just be one of the landing lights that are in the port wheel well...????...

5 inch rockets yes,part 11. But the Tiny Tim was an 11.75 inch rocket, And on a Mustang? I thought that was a navel weapon.

That is what I get for answering without a book in front of me! :D

Part 11 is indeed the 5 inch rockets but part 12 are for the Tiny Tim rocket.

GPV-DSCN0423.jpg

It is indeed a Naval air to ground rocket and the reason to ask to see what is not for use is to figure out what is coming. The only USAAC aircraft I have seen carrying it is the P-47...
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675059992_P-47N-Thunderbolt_Tiny-Tim-rockets-fired_Japanese-type-fortifications

but not this Tiny Tim

Regards,

Back