• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-86 Sabre

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a quick build. I got this one when I got the Mig for Red Star Rising, and I started it back in May but got distracted on other projects.

Another good ol' Natural Metal Finish coming. No uber details just a clean quick OOB Academy 1:48 Sabre and some Hobbydecal dry transfers.

DSCF0295.jpg

f86401.jpg

Didn't spend a lot of time here, just painted and washed the cockpit.

f86402.jpg

Worked the seams, of course I screwed something up and the alignment between the two halves were just slightly off. Lots of standing to make even and filling in gaps. Used CA to fill in divots and seam lines. Sanding several times over till I figured I was ready for the Alclad (No I don't have stock) Primer and microfiller. Did a light buff with the 12000 grit Micromesh sheet to get the polished look. Tomorrow I'll figure out what gloss colors to use as a base coat.

Thanks for lookin'! :pilot

I could see doing a large scale version.

Col_Ben_O._Davis_leads_F-86_flight_%2851st_FIW%2C_Korea%29.jpg

I like this picture. Notice the variation in the sheen and colors of the metal. One of these schemes will be done.

Oh no James, I started this back in May and had the cockpit done. I picked it back up last week. But yeah I think I'm going to have it done this week though. Hey it's a pretty easy build.

Looks good MP!! I've seen those metal variations done with washes. Even tried it myself on a P-47 and it worked pretty good.

B)

Get it on Bob. I think the washes sound good to me. Would be way simpler. As a matter of fact, since doing this latest dot filter I think I's going to attempt doing a cammo with washes in the future.

Cheers, Christian B)

Here we go, practicing some more with the AlcladII

As we left it last night there was the grey microfiller primer and polished down with 12000 grit micromesh. This evening I masked off the wing center panels because I wanted a stark change in the tone of the metal. Also did sort of a mottle effect, all using the transparent smoke color from Alclad. Just because I didn't want to wait for the gloss black to dry...

f86403.jpg

I polished this again to make sure it's smooth, then shot some Polished Aluminum.

Here's the result.

f86404.jpg

f86405.jpg

Here's the wing with a wiping of the micromesh.

f86406.jpg

One thing I notice is how much brighter the color is over the gloss finish as oppose the semigloss of the primer. This is the key to consistency on the sheen of the metal, consistent finish, either all flat, semi or full gloss. All depending on the effect you want to get.

So this is the game plan for tomorrow, more colors, using the transparent colors just because. Then i'm going to use the AlcladII Clear Gloss coat. Then shoot the Polished Airframe and see what happens.

This should be a throw back for some of you tie died generation!

f86410.jpg

trippy man! look at the colors!

you guys think I'm crazy..we'll know in a minute or 4.

Dang, it does huh... :mpup

OK here we go.

f86411.jpg

f86412.jpg

f86413.jpg

f86414.jpg

f86415.jpg

don't know if I got too thick with the Alclad, this is Polished Aluminum. Bright ain't it?? Initial thought is the colors should not have been so splotchy, should have been streaky.
Not sure what I think of it yet. What do you think??

in the light of day, I think the yellow and reds work better, and the colors should be more linear than blotchy. May revisit this attempt again.

Back