• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
This is a summery of where I am with the F4F-4

wildcat100.jpg

Thanks to fellow knucklebuster Harv over at Swanny's I have all sorts of goodies to play with here. I may go with a little more just to get the life raft bay behind the cockpit. Harv was very generous when he loaded this bad boy up. A Full Big Ed set, bunches of resin parts for the cockpit, shoot, I think I got enough to finish out 2 or 3 cockpits, and I may do that just to see which one looks best. Enough .50 cals to deck out a couple of wings. Not to mention some wheels. Don't know what brand these are the labels are gone. But they sure look nice!

I have ambitious plans for this thing. All the things I didn't do the the one last year will be done now.

Fuel Tank under the cockpit, open radio compartment. Accessory bay opened all the way around exposing full detail of the rear end of the P&W R-1830-86. Open Gun panels and wings likely folded back. May have this one decked out for carrier operation.

And let the cutting begin!
wildcat101.jpg

wildcat102.jpg

Fully exposed cylinder heads under the cowl and duct work going back to the intercooler will be in order. Don't know if the frame work will be brass strips or styrene.

Now all I have to do is find someone who can do all this!!! ;D

I had some options on the seat so I figured to explore them all

6XF4F-3.jpg

You can see the original here.

wildcat103.jpg

Here we have the Kit Seat, The Resin Seat and two PE Seats from the Big Ed set, one from the Cockpit set and the other from the Zoom Color set. First the kit seat, nothing out of the ordinary and you can see why there's a need for an upgrade. The Resin seat is not very close to what it should be. The first PE seat I tried to solder. Even scrubbing the Eduard PE didn't help it much, it's pretty firm but the solder still did not react well. The last one was constructed with CA.

wildcat104.jpg

It's my keeper...

wildcat105.jpg

And if you're wondering what i've done with the Cowl, well nothing much other than add some stock to the cut side to add the lip where the panels will attach. Not sure how ot proceed here so I'm going to build up the rest of the aircraft and then work on the cowl later when I understand how it attaches to the frame.

Cool project Moon Pup... I mean. Bob? :huh:

MooBobPup? No. Uh. Hmm. Moop Pubby? Nope, that's not it. Noob Muppy?

:unsure: ... :dry: ... :blink ... ;)

Cool project! But there's still some bugs to be worked out here at the new site. Like...what do I call you now?

Matt :woohoo:

Progress! I am waiting on some parts and stuff from DragonUSA online to work on the engine, specifically the push rods that I have gotten to obsessive about. May be worth the wait but till then...the Cockpit.

wildcat106.jpg

I got the side panels in place. My first complaint about the color Zoom PE is the color is wrong. The base of the left hand mount should be Bronze Green, or the cockpit color, like you see on the RHS. Not black. But the seatbelts look good if I say so myself. Lots more detail stuff on this set though. Even Toggles on top of that electrical box on the right hand side.

wildcat107.jpg

The IP is assembled in a sandwich of three layers. the dial faces, first layer of bezels and upper dial faces then a top bezel overlay. The second layer should have been Bronze Green. I wish I had corrected these parts before I got to this point but I did not, but when closed up it's not going to be that big of deal. I hope all eyes will be trained to the engine instead of the cockpit.

wildcat108.jpg

wildcat109.jpg

I need to wash and filter that side panel to be consistent with the back wall and armor plate.

wildcat110.jpg

Need a drybrush of a lighter brown to bring that leather headrest out some. I just love the selector switch on the LHS panel... :cool:

wildcat111.jpg

And of course when I was assembling this I dropped the LHS panel and a pretty large looking leaver went flying. You can see the Y mount just under that selector. The Concrete Monster ate it, couldn't find it anywhere. Either it will show up when I'm finished with the build or I will scratch make one to replace.

I' weathered it with various washes and filters then dry brushed the base color to lighten it up some. I worked a lot in some blues and greens trying to get that Bronzed Green shade that Grumann used for their primer as opposed to Zinc or Interior Green that was common. I don't think it's there yet. May give it another going over to try and get the right tone.

Muppy , that's some beautiful work , .......... I love it , very highly detailed !!!!

I'm gonna have to move my air force from the closet into the main modeling room , I really want to start a plane , but have to much going on right now .

Weakening , ...........I was already there , ........

Ssssssshhh , don't tell anyone but as a kid I built planes and cars before ever touching a tank ..................

gotta question.

I understand the guns on the -4 were electrically operated. Would they also have the manual cocking lines? Eduards -3 cockpit comes with 4 handles to install on the floorboard that represent these manual cocking rings. If the guns are electrical were they also rigged for the manual system?

Very nice project! Carpet and concrete monsters are very, very annoying. Such things happen to me all the time.

Back