• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Contrail 1/72 Handley Page hP-42 Vac form

philo426

Recently started this Contrail Vac form HP-42 here is the interior prior to joining the fuselage halves.
2010_0313Spock0062.jpg

I had some fairly large gaps on the underside of the fuselage,so I glued in some strip styrene and sanded it to profile.
2010_0315Spock0066.jpg

Having delt with the seams,I had to figure out how to join the lower wings to the fuselage.I decided to use some chrome-plated brass tubing from an old radio aerial I had in my parts box.I then carefully determined the location of the lower wings and drilled the holes for the tubing.Since I decided to paint the cammo version I will not attach the lower wings permanently until after painting is complete.THe wings fit tightly enough without cement to allow me to determine the location of struts for the upper wing.THis is a crucial step so I must be accurate!
2010_0319Spock0062.jpg
2010_0319Spock0063.jpg

Hi there.

And I thought building the old 1/72 scale Handley Page 0400 kit was tough! Nice job thus far. Do you have shares in the a putty company? VBG LOL

Cheers from Peter

Yes when I do a vac form it always involves extensive bodywork!I had the same problem with my 1/48 JU-287 project!Luckily i know how to fix it so it is not a major hurdle.

Philo
Nice looking plane.
With a handle like that, you have me wanting to make Baklava...
I guess I know what I'll be doing some time soon. ;) :laugh:
Shawn

Nice work! Most of my vacuum-formed kits (mostly MPM) are still in my stash waiting for me to build the nerve to tackle them! Luckily, no one has released the SB-2, SB-2M, Fw-56, and Siebel 204 in mainstream injected styrene.

Regards and I bow to your bravery,

THanks guys!I have posted this build on several other forums and they all say how "brave" I am to tackle this project.I decided to build it now because the tamiyagawa kits are too well -engineered and not that great of a challenge to build a good model.THis one,if I can pull it off,will be one impressive and unique aircraft when completed!

Ok! I drilled the holes for the wing struts and have begun to install them.i made a wing-angle jig out of sheet styrene so that they will have the proper angle and are parallel to each other.
2010_0322Spock0044.jpg

I decided to test-fit the top wing today.OH NO!!Looks like the 2 struts on the lower engine pods are too short!I guess I relied too much on the kit plans to take measurements.I will find a way to fix it!Man it is going to be fun joining the top wing to the struts when the time comes!
2010_0324Spock0045.jpg

OKay! now that I was able to sort out the wing strut situation I turn my attention to the tail unit.I epoxied in a brass tube to accept a brass wire to ensure a strong tail joint.I left off the 3-piece rudder and elevator units to make it easier to rig,decal and paint the tail surfaces. Here is a pic;
2010_0328Spock0170.jpg

Yes this thing will be massive when completed.Plus pretty unique as I intend to paint in RAF cammo instead of the more common silver.A build not top be forgotten!

Back