• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobbycraft XP-59

jeaton01

I started on this project way back in February but other projects have kept me away from it. The kit as it is will make a No. 3 or later XP-59 or a YP-59A, but I wanted to do the first one, as a companion to the first jets of other countries I have been doing. That required a modified canopy because the first few had hatch type side opening canopies which later were replaced with sliding canopies. Markings will be simple as the prototype had no serials or anything else except for the simple stars in circles in four positions, and the paint was OD and grey.

Here's the box art for the kit I am using. There is another available for the later versions with squared off flying surfaces.

0011p59.jpg

The True Details cockpit set to be used:

0061p59.jpg

Here the kit canopy is white glued in place so a slicone rubber mold can be made of the shape, which will be sanded down to look like the earlier side opening affair.

0081p59.jpg

The silicone mold. Plastic card and clay were used to make a dam for the mold. Silicone gets every detail. Too bad I had to sand it all away. On the left the reshaped and sealed canopy buck to be used for vac forming a new canopy.

0111p59.jpg

These are parts 14 and 18. They are shown installed in section 4 of the instructions. No reference is made to when they are installed. They disappear in section 5. 14 is the left splitter plate and inlet fairing, and 18 is the right.. I thinned the splitter plates quite a bit and added some plastic sheet on the bottom so they would match the inlet better. In this photo only the one on the left has the changes.

0121p59.jpg

A plate was made to fit behind the splitter plate which will form the aft end of an enlarged inlet fairing. Photos in Steve Ginter's book on the P-59 were used as reference for this.

0131p59.jpg

Aves Epoxysculpt was used to form the enlarged and reshaped engine inlet fairings. A little cleanup still required.

0141p59.jpg

A plastic card shelf was made to form a cavity for a cast nose weight. This photo also shows some of the left cockpit which has been installed and painted using the Black Box set. 34227 was used for the cockpit base color, over black preshading.

0151p59.jpg

A clay buck was formed by pressing it into the left nose area, shaped some on the right and then the right fuselage half was pressed on to get a workable shape. A form was made with Lego blocks on a plastic base and the buck was stuck in the center. Silicone mold material was poured into the mold. Once cured, lead was melted into the mold from the bar shown using the propane torch. Some filing and sanding was needed to get it to fit but not bad. A second weight was cast as I intend to build a P-59B version later.

0161p59.jpg

The right cockpit sidewall.

0171p59.jpg

The finished weight. I don't think this one will be a tailsitter.

0181p59.jpg

Forget about sitting on its tail. Hope the nose gear is strong enough. :laugh:

Curious to know what you used to seal the canopy mold. Last time I did a canopy I had problems with that.

Congrats John, I think you're the first modeler I've seen use a blow torch during the construction phase and not out of anger!

Neat work so far :popcorn

Looking good John (y) I used the Cutting Edge cockpit on mine but the True Details one looks just as nice. I also used a Terry Dean nose weight. I wish he was still doing them as they are real handy and save a lot of extra work. Mine has been on the shelf of doom since the end of 2008. It stalled out while I was working on reshaping the inlets. I need to go back and work on the splitter plates, I like how yours turned out. I have a photo some where that I took looking down the throat of the intake of the one at the Air Force Museum if you are interested. Looking forward to the completed project !

Definitely not something you see built every day , much less by someone that's interested in the details (y)

Good tutorials as well . :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Dave, I think I used Future, but it's been awhile. I may have used a clear coat of some other kind. I have been careful to use minimum heat.

Gary, I have the Cutting Edge set to use on the P-59B I intend to build later, I think it is nicer and the B will be done canopy open. The Ginter book has some good inlet photos but I would like to see what you might have.

Some nice techniques being used, I'll be following this with interest.

MP, a blowtorch and/or firecrackers was my sole weathering system back in the day. Every model got weathered on the 4th of July. :D

The nose weight is a little heavier than it needs to be, but this airplane has a healthy posterior. It is balancing about 1/2 inch in front of the main gear.

Basic assembly complete. Masks for the canopy were drawn in Autocad based on photos, imported into the Silhouette Cameo software, and cut from Oramask 810 vinyl.
The eyebrow and front windscreen were masked with Tamiya tape, it was easier than trying to develop the shapes in the computer. Fits were pretty good during major assembly, with a few hiccups. There area around the jet exhausts needed some Perfect Plastic Putty to fill some gaps in the corners, and some nacelle joints on the belly needed a little fettling. One thing to be careful of is the dihedral of the wings, they want to be a little too flat. First, the wing tips were test fitted, and it was found that the thickness at the wing tip was more than the tip parts, and the allowance for the tabs on the tips was not quite in the correct place. The inside of the wing tips was sanded, and the fit for the tabs loosened up to allow the correct alignment.The upper wing panels were assembled to the lower one piece wing and the tips were installed, and when solid a little sanding was needed to fair in the tips to the wings. Material was removed from the upper wing panel roots, test fitting the wing to the fuselage until the dihedral looked right, The wing flexes enough to allow test fitting over the enlarged inlet fairings. The wing was then final assembled to the fuselage, and then the lower aft engine nacelle and belly part was fitted and glued in. The tailplanes needed no adjustment or filler.

Model Master ANA 613 OD and Neutral Grey were applied with a loose and blended demarcation. It took some back and forth with the two colors to work it out. The paint looks like the painters just walked by with spray guns, no attempt at neatness.

0201p59.jpg

0211p59.jpg

0221p59.jpg

0231p59.jpg

0241p59.jpg

0251p59.jpg

The nose weight is a little heavier than it needs to be, but this airplane has a healthy posterior. It is balancing about 1/2 inch in front of the main gear.

Basic assembly complete. Masks for the canopy were drawn in Autocad based on photos, imported into the Silhouette Cameo software, and cut from Oramask 810 vinyl.
The eyebrow and front windscreen were masked with Tamiya tape, it was easier than trying to develop the shapes in the computer. Fits were pretty good during major assembly, with a few hiccups. There area around the jet exhausts needed some Perfect Plastic Putty to fill some gaps in the corners, and some nacelle joints on the belly needed a little fettling. One thing to be careful of is the dihedral of the wings, they want to be a little too flat. First, the wing tips were test fitted, and it was found that the thickness at the wing tip was more than the tip parts, and the allowance for the tabs on the tips was not quite in the correct place. The inside of the wing tips was sanded, and the fit for the tabs loosened up to allow the correct alignment.The upper wing panels were assembled to the lower one piece wing and the tips were installed, and when solid a little sanding was needed to fair in the tips to the wings. Material was removed from the upper wing panel roots, test fitting the wing to the fuselage until the dihedral looked right, The wing flexes enough to allow test fitting over the enlarged inlet fairings. The wing was then final assembled to the fuselage, and then the lower aft engine nacelle and belly part was fitted and glued in. The tailplanes needed no adjustment or filler.

Model Master ANA 613 OD and Neutral Grey were applied with a loose and blended demarcation. It took some back and forth with the two colors to work it out. The paint looks like the painters just walked by with spray guns, no attempt at neatness.

0201p59.jpg

0211p59.jpg

0221p59.jpg

0231p59.jpg

0241p59.jpg

0251p59.jpg

I dig it... :coolio

Wow John, this rocks! Way to go on this. I appreciate all the clean fixes you did too. I love that comment: "this airplane has a healthy posterior", what a great line! :rotf
Exceptional work, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks, Guys. I'm painting on the insignia now. I despair of figuring out how to line up the stars straight on the fuselage, you'll all have to just lean your heads a little to get them to look right.

Okay, in the photos I see that I once again failed to paint the position lights, I guess the desert dust has covered them up in these pictures. Another thing that I see is that it would be better if the main struts were shortened about 3/32 inch to match the stance on the photo of the airplane. I'll fix that when I build the P-59B version, maybe I'll fix these then too but I don't want to right now. The insignia were painted using masks cut with my Silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter. Flat White was sprayed first, then Insignia White. Then, the star stencil was put in place. Insignia Blue was applied. After a minimum curing time the masks were removed. I could see some white edge outside the blue when looking from the side even though the outer stencil had not been moved until all painting was done, just the thickness of the paint was all I was seeing but it was noticeable. More circles were cut, this time solid, no cutouts for the stars. Once applied the surrounding colors were sprayed and that took care of the problem. I suppose that is going to be how to do it in cases where the white has to be as large as the blue, as in this case where there are no bars on the insignia, nor the usual blue extra edge that covered up the short lived red perimeter.

I am very happy with how the overall model looks, and with the canopy and its framing. There is no clear coat, once I had all the paint on and cured, I sanded the whole model with 2500 sandpaper, insignia and all. The sanding dust was wiped down a little and there you are.

0261p59.jpg

0271p59.jpg

0281p59.jpg

0291p59.jpg

0301p59.jpg

0311p59.jpg

0321p59.jpg

Back