• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revel's Fairey Gannet

nsmekanik

One of my Favorite cold war Aircraft and a serious attempt at something different. Got it roughly a year ago and, of course things went horribly wrong. After doing a bit of reading I settled on grabbing a tin of Humbrols equivalent for Extra dark sea gray. Since I had some AreoMaster Sky I was going to (try to) use up this seemed like the way to go...Uhm, NO. Long story Short the tin of Humbrol is garbage, unless I want a crinkle look, and the AreoMaster Sky is much to bright of a green which does not look at all right. So any way my favorite paint removal system, Pollyscale Paint and decal remover, did not react at all well with the Revel plastic and I ended up with a ruined set of tail feathers as the hinges disintegrated....so after pulling it out of the box a dozen times I decided just to do what I could and live with the results. After a couple of more unsatisfactory attempts at a paint job I ordered up some Lifecolor Sky and mixed up some Tamiya paint for the Extra Dark Sea Gray.....

IMG_0791 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0790 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

After the last clean up and reattaching some fiddley bits, a coat of primer....

IMG_0792 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

I decided to paint the sky, first then the Extra Dark, then touch up the sky after masking

IMG_0794 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0795 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0796 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0797 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

And in typical fashion....

IMG_0798 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0799 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

nothing a bit of touch up wouldn't cure though

IMG_0803 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0804 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0805 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0806 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

Time for some decals :woohoo:

IMG_0807 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

Which went on beautifully :beer and then some accentuation application :D

IMG_0808 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

:drinks

Why thank you James
bow.gif

Maybe I should work on finishing something that's actually going together well or finish that D-9.....I'll just leave this here, what was I thinking....well I wasn't apparently :facepalm X4 :frantic

IMG_0812 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

And moving on to a more positive perspective :D

IMG_0813 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0814 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0815 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0816 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

:drinks

Think there were a couple of Gannet AEW3's on the show circuit in the mid-late 19080's... the one I remember clearly was the one that came to the Mildenhall and Alconbury shows in '88 - I was lucky enough to be chosen to accompany one of 'our' Jaguars for that year, so got to take photos form the 'show side' of the barriers.

ha9fa5d8.jpg

I appreciate this project is an ASW version, but it still brings back great memories. Following this build closely and would be interested if you encounter any 'issues' through the build.

Ian.

hac8936b.JPG

I wonder if the pilot of a single seat cockpit aircraft ever sat any higher than in a Gannet :)

This one is not often seen as its in the reserve collection of the FAA museum in Yeovilton and is a COD4 4 (Carrier Onboard Delivery), basically a cargo plane but it started out as a ASW i think

Ahhh Paddy don't do that to me - makes me even more homesick than I already am :blush: .... I swear I can 'smell' the restoration hanger at Yeovilton from here. Used to love the enthusiasts days there when they took down the barriers and let us roam free. Happy, happy memories !!

Ian.

Ahhh Paddy don't do that to me - makes me even more homesick than I already am :blush: .... I swear I can 'smell' the restoration hanger at Yeovilton from here. Used to love the enthusiasts days there when they took down the barriers and let us roam free. Happy, happy memories !!

Ian.

It still open every now and then and i try and get down to see whats new. Actually i prefer the reserve collection to the proper collection :)

There is one of those in the Pima Air Museum. Leaking all over. No self respecting Briton would let it go that far.

GOOD SAVE!! The only one I can think of that might be farther to fall from a single seater, might be an F7U Cutlass. Unless! The Mains collapse! :bat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRnz1P3enE

The Aviator in that last bit was killed in this mishap. Truly saddening. Keep going on the Gannet!! She's looking good! :good:

Ok, I'm not a quitter, just a lagger.......the canopies, yes there are issues, for instance the pilots canopy came presplit so I didn't have to do it myself :D yea Revel :good: They were kind enough to send a replacement though

IMG_0817 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

There are other niggles but as this is a quicky update I'll get into those at a later date...... :eek:ldguy

Seam polished out

IMG_0818 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0819 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

IMG_0845 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

Won't discuss that itty bitty piece of plastic shaving that wedged itself between the glass and head rest sometime between masking and unmasking
sAng_rant.gif

IMG_0846 by nsmekanik, on Flickr

:drunk

Back