• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pearl 2017..Final Reveal

fightnjoe

Wait.......another build.....another PUBLIC build......what madness is this then?

Well I am finishing up an article for consideration to a magazine and the P-40B is currently in between video sessions. Now is also the time where I begin to look towards December 7 and what that means. This year I have gone solo again and so my only deadline is the finish line. This is not for submission. This is for me.

First up is the subject. Kind of my holy grail build.

LcYvsWK.jpg

The 1/72 Special Hobby B-18. For this I will need to pull out a few tricks as the decals will need modification. The build itself will be out of box.

The journey begins......

Joe

Pearl 2017..The Beginning

Well here is a quick follow up to the intro.

I would show you a couple of pictures of the sprue but to be honest I dislike those as they really show nothing. For myself I like to see some progress.

As the title says it is the beginning.

First up, I rarely do things as the instructions call for. Just not how I build. This build is no different. Because of the amount of clear in the fuselage the first thing I want to tackle is to get the exterior paint and the interior paint out of the way. To that end I wanted to try something different. Tone variants by changing the base color. I used Testor Gloss Gray, Model Master US Navy Gray, and Testor Creatix Gloss Black. I picked out some panels to try it out.

RlnCgIz.jpg

NP7STCD.jpg

hzmyJNR.jpg

9WeBGQO.jpg

ujYFMzS.jpg

Vy9RES6.jpg

d1Ip1A0.jpg

I then sprayed Alclad Chrome.

QqG0dnM.jpg

1WkMaL5.jpg

While this dried I played some with the interior.

4UIy9vv.jpg

AE4zZyr.jpg

IH2Mh3N.jpg

And with some paint.

bWKJaw4.jpg

f9I0bZu.jpg

Next up will be to get some color on the interior walls and then move on to the clear parts.

All comments, critiques, and criticism is encouraged.

Joe

I get what you're doing Joe but I caution you on the finish when you get it sealed up. cleaning up the gaps and then matching up the finish will be a task. Good luck

I will second what Bob (Moon Puppy) said. It will be interesting to see what and how you deal with the seams and gaps on the parts when assembled. Usually it is best practice to assemble first, fix all the seams, then do the gloss black coat.

:popcorn

One of the earliest things I learned in this hobby, with aircraft assemble then paint. With the cut aways I found that if I was careful I could get the different sections of the fuselage and wings painted prior to assembly to avoid all the masking. I got the fuse together last night, there are some areas to spend some additional time on but not many. The wing root however is going to be a major pain. The fit is off by almost a quarter inch out of the box.

Hopefully an update soon.

Joe

Pearl 2017..Oh My God!!!!

Well folks everything was moving along smoothly.

The interior went in with no fuss. Although way off it will work when all the "glass" is installed.

WScoO7q.jpg

ASF2Gg8.jpg

The fuselage looked to be a pretty simple project to close up.

ljKy5jZ.jpg

CLtGgx9.jpg

5IG6nuH.jpg

2SE9ZWy.jpg

And then the honeymoon came to an abrupt end. Well crashing halt. Well total and complete standstill for a while.

The OH MY GOD, ARE YOU KIDDING ME moment came when I attempted to attach the wings to the fuselage. It was just as a bad joke.

The carnage...

ZgX9kaW.jpg

AnU0Toi.jpg

Not too bad you say??? Well to compliment that after a lot of sanding to try to get the engine nacelles to fit this was the best I could get....

Cv28Lh7.jpg

Now the best part, no picture of this though, after much use of adult language I test fit the stabilizers and they fit a dream with little to no seam. I was fit to be tied.

Well after a trip to the big city on Saturday I was able to obtain some Apoxie Sculpt and so that is now drying, thinking I didnt mix it exactly right, and that should fix my gap issue but holy crap that was a large gap.

More on this soon.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

While it is a unique and interesting subject, and you are doing an "outstanding" (y) job on it Joe, it IS an old Williams kit. They do have their issues...

Interesting. Many years ago I tried to purchase the Williams kit. Sent in the money to the vendor and later found out that after I sent it in they went out of business. Money was never returned and no kit.

Live and learn.

Joe

I did mention some fit issues when I did the test fit portion of my review when the Special Hobby kit first came out https://www.modelersalliance.com/reviews-and-news/217-kits/938-1-72-special-hobby-b-18-bolo however looking back the cowlings on my kit fit much better than yours did.

You didn't see all the fill and sand I had to do on the Bulldog? Yeah that's Williams Bro, interesting subjects but they are a challenge to build. :popcorn

I don't recall ever seeing a Williams Bros kit of the B-18, Scalemates states that the Special Hobby kit is a new tool. Williams made a C-46, B-10, Boeing 247 but I've yet to come across a B-18.

I might have miss stated it being a Williams kit. (though it sure looked like one to me) Probably should have looked at the first post to make sure before obtaining hoof-n-mouth syndrome. :facepalm

Back