• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-47s en mass.

Paulw

Well just recently I came into possession of three P-47 kits.
Two of them are the old Revell 1/32. Out of those two one is the old Razorback and the other is the Bubble top. The remainder of the three kits is the Hasegawa Bubble Top with the fillet. It has been '72 since I built any one of the first two and I think Dad paid about $12.00 a piece for those kits. In '72 dollars that was quite steep.

Ill need to get decals and some sort of interior for the two Revell kits. I am lucky as there is only one set of decals for those kits and not much difference in the two.

These two seem to fit the two bubble tops and I figure something for the razorback at a later date.

Evidently I cant post this image...

The ebay plug in is broke, need to post it as a url.

I got some 1:32 Razorback decals if you're interested.

h90776f1.jpg

I really don't recall what scale these are, pretty sure they are 1:32. Think these are razorbacks.

hc914d4e.jpg

I'll send the book also. Came in handy, only one I want to do now is Kansas Tornado. I'll be keeping the 1:32 and maybe the :148 of Kansas Tornado

Broke out the old Revell kits and found that the bubble top was missing a few parts in the engine and landing gear and the razor back was missing the ip so I used it for the razor back.
I started the engine and the interior about the same time and in about an hour I closed them up in the fuselage. I am not going all out with these because I just wanted something simple. No wonder why I had these built in an afternoon and flying that evening.

I am not too concerned with a flawless finish or anywhere near that. Just reliving my boy hood and enjoying the build.

That looks great Paul. Nice work.

I am not too concerned with a flawless finish or anywhere near that. Just reliving my boy hood and enjoying the build.

That's pretty much how I build most of the time. I want my hobby to be fun.

I had to get realistic on how many 1/32 P-47s I can have in this room. The wife and the cats wont let me have them displayed anywhere else in the house. I guess it is time to figure out a better display situation than the one I have.

Anyway, I started the Hasegawa bubble top yesterday and got the office done. I batted back and forth the idea of using the Eduard pit set for this one but I think I would much rather have it in the Trumpeter Razorback. I used the kit IP decal for the IP. I soaked it in some Humbrol decal fix and I want to say that on Hasegawa decals that stuff works like magic, although the kit decal just didn't look too convincing to me because of the white dial faces and the black background were too stark of a contrast so I toned it down some with German gray dry brushed just enough to hide the white bezels but not the markings of the gauges.

In the mean time, Gomez and Gibson made sure that those nasty plastic air filled pillows that come in Dad's model boxes didn't get away to cause trouble.

Everything looks pretty good from this far away :good: gotta pity them poor cats must be a tough job :mpup

:popcorn :drinks
Yeah, it is.

So now I have chosen a scheme I figured that I needed to do some testing of the Xtreeme metal that I plan on shooting all over this big thing. I used a shelf queen that I lost pieces to as a test mule. The inside half of the painted wing was with Vallejo acrylic chrome. I wasn't too impressed here so I shot the out side quarter with the Black base that goes with the Xtreeme metal and left the far out side quarter bare plastic.
I then shot the outside half with the aluminum and let it dry for a good 6 to 8 hours. In my way of thinking I figured that should be enough time to set pretty well. I did a tape test on the three painted quarters and the only place that the paint pulled up was where I shot the black base.

I then spent the next few hours trying to get some yellow orange to lay down decently so it wouldn't orange peel or bead up. It took a while but I got it to behave.

I chose the Kits-world decals 356 FS 9th AF Helen Jo for the scheme.

Back