• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 KI-51 Sonia

phantom II

Master at Arms
Although I claim to be a very patient person when doing something , I confess that waiting on thing to happen are not my strong point, so I started working on this to keep busy
It had been screaming at me for years now . Well, no more !

In case some of you don't know, the KI-51 was an Army light attack and recon bird. It served in China , WW II and Kamikaze attacks toward the end of the war. It ploded was not retired until 1953.
On the day Hiroshima was destroyed by an atomic bomb, two Ki-51s scored the last Japanese sinking of a US warship, sinking USS Bullhead (SS-332) with all hands.

KI-51_bits_102a.jpg

The original molds were made by Manya who in turn was bought by Hasegawa . This particular kit was boxed by Hasegawa and I can't tell any difference what's so ever in the quality of the original , although that was a double kit

KI-51_bits_100a.jpg

The kit is beautiful right out of the box .

More tomorrow . Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you gents for your interest in this unloved airplane .

I believe Hasegawa has solved their problem by ( now ) boxing them up with more popular KI-48 bomber but frankly, it has raised the price considerably :S

The kit was dry fitted together . Everything fits so perfectly, it is a dream .

Also, the plastic is so much nicer to work with :good:

KI-51_bits_101a.jpg

Not that much to the interior but enough . I sprayed it a new Vallejo primer which approximates Mitsubishi interior green .

KI-51_build_001a.jpg

Picked out some interior details. Painted some gages and installed some decals.

KI-51_build_007a.jpg

KI-51_build_006a.jpg

Including the camera which will be visible through the lower window.

KI-51_build_008a.jpg

Made some seat cushions and added a strap belt for the pilot . Still need a belt for the back seat.

Amazingly, everything still fits ( amazing ) :cheer:

KI-51_build_009a.jpg

Time to close it up :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Fairly basic engine but frankly not much will be seen . The cowl and the spinner will hide most of the details anyway.

KI-51_build_002a.jpg

Just a bit of shading and some ignition wires .

KI-51_build_003a.jpg

The engine was not installed as per instructions but carefully shimmed to the cowl. It sit's too far back if you install it as it is designed.

The depth of the spinner is too short , so a .040 shim was punched out and glued to the back .

KI-51_bits_103a.jpg

The piece for the Huck started was sliced off and replaced by a piece of tubing .

Also seen in the picture is the exhaust . Hollowed out the pipes and scribed the contour out of the cowling . That was easier than replacing it with metal tubing.

KI-51_build_005b.jpg

Finally , after the modifications to the prop I needed to come up with a suitable diameter shaft :facepalm . Could not find anything in my spare parts as the size seems to be metric :blink

After running out of options I discovered that the diameter of the Tamiya cotton buds were just right :rotf .

So here, you have it.

Cheers, Christian

Awesome Christian!

Love it! I've never seen anyone build one of these before! This should be good!

I've got the Nichimo kit in the stash!

The wings were cut out. MV. lenses were added, then the clear covers were formed and installed.

lights_001a~0.jpg

The bird was colored in factory color
I do not recommend gluing the pitot at this point, I have already broken it once.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back