• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

matrixone

With all the Bf 109 builds going on at this site I was inspired to build a 109 or two.

My two builds are the old Hobbycraft Bf 109G-6 and the newer Hasegawa Bf 109G-14, I have built a 1/48 scale Hasegawa Bf 109 before and know its a quality model kit but this will be my first Hobbycraft kit I ever built, so far the Hobbycraft kit is a little clunky compared to the newer Hasegawa kit but its not all that bad either and should end up being a nice looking Bf 109 model.

Here is the very start of these builds, first the instrument panels...yes I know they are rather drab looking but I wanted to keep the detail painting to scale. The faces of the instruments will be getting a very small dab of epoxy put on them to give them the illusion of having glass on the front of the instruments. I normally use Future for this purpose but epoxy seems to work better and is easier to put on.
h48cf022.JPG

And here are the other cockpit parts.

hc200ed4.JPG

The progress of these models will be somewhat slow as I will be spending more time on getting the Meng Me 163B finished.

Matrixone

Pulling up my chair and :popcorn Will be interesting to see how the Hobbycraft kit goes. I tried building one years ago and had issues with the canopy being narrow. Could have been me though.

Ryan,
Not surprised you had some fit issues with the Hobbycraft kit, some have had similar experiences with these kits and the term 'Hobbycrap' was born. :laugh:

Matrixone

Great!!! :popcorn ... In my opinion, this is a very good kit (Hasegawa). :ro:

All the best!
Dusan.

Hobbycraft's Bf-109 series weren't the cause for the term Hobbycrap as they used the Hasegawa Bf-109E as 'inspiration' for their early 109s (B-E) and the Revellogram Bf-109G for their late series (G-K). I do not recall an F series from them.

1625094766132.png

006.jpg

Monogram Bf-109G-10 wings on Hobbycraft Bf-109G-6.

Regards,

Last edited:
James,
Yep, you guys were a bad influence (in a good way)! :laugh:
Bf 109's are addictive and I love the later versions because they have so much character and make for good subjects for modeling.

Saul,
I never liked the term Hobbycrap for describing Hobbycraft kits, most older kits have their problems and I expect to encounter them from time to time, in my pictures below you can see the lower wing of the Hobbycraft Bf 109G-6 and the severe warping on the left hand side as well as the lack of any dihedral. After seeing this warped wing in my kit I can see why some have a dislike for Hobbycraft kits but I see it as a challenge to make right.

h6807a81.JPG

h08d1dc1.JPG

After tinkering around with the Hobbycraft Bf 109 I decided to go ahead and start another Hobbycraft 109 and use it as my ''Frankenschmitt'' project. More on the Frankenschmitt at a later time.

Matrixone

in my pictures below you can see the lower wing of the Hobbycraft Bf 109G-6 and the severe warping on the left hand side as well as the lack of any dihedral.

I have at least eight Hobbycraft 109 kits and none have the severe warping shown but the lack of dihedral was due to storage and can be seen in many brands (especially in my stash where I removed them from their boxes to place in bins).

You have a great attitude, which I share, about the challenges of older kits.

Regards,

Saul,
I checked the other Hobbycraft 109's in my stash and the kit I started is the only one with the warp problem. Since I never removed the kits contents from the box before now the warp was done long ago when the plastic was fresh. All my un-built kits are stored indoors at room temperature so I almost never have warps in them unless its a QC problem like the old Monogram/Pro-Modeler Ta 154 had with the right wings.

Bob,
The warp itself can be fixed (I hope!) the lack of dihedral concerns me the most. :eek:hmy: I might have to add a spar to the wings to give them strength before I bend the wings upwards while the glue sets at the wing roots, otherwise the wings might have a curve to them since the Hobbycraft wings are flimsy.

Can't wait to show you guys the Frankenschmitt...it won't be seen in this thread it will get its own. :evil:

Matrixone

Ian,
Looking forward to seeing your G-14, hope its from the Hasegawa kit too.
If you are building a Hobbycraft Bf 109G-14 hope you have better luck with it than I am having with my G-6 and Frankenschmitt. :blink

Matrixone

A couple in-progress pictures.

The extra wing with the large upper wing bulges is for the Frankenschmitt.

hc9768b8.JPG

hcf3bcde.JPG

Matrixone

Looking good, Les. :coolio

My first 109 was an Aurora Kit (about 1962). I remember that the plastic was magenta... Why I remember that... IDK :hmmm

Go forth and build well, young Jedi! :yipee

Thanks Barney

I remember the Aurora line of WWII fighters, back in those days I was too young to mess around with paints so whatever color the plastic was ended up being the final color finish. :eek:hmy:
Speaking of old kits I remember building some 1/72 scale Revell triple kits, there were some WWI and WWII 3 in 1 box plane kits that was great fun to put together.

Matrixone

A dogfight in the box :pilot

I remember them as well. I remember a white Dauntless someone put out, like Barney, not sure why I remember that but I think I painted a red stripe on it like Coast Guard...

Sorry for the hijack Les :popcorn

Back