• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CMR Hansa Brandenburg W.12

Ben

da1996b0.jpg

I've entered this little baby into a WWI group build, so I kind of put a gun to my head as far as gettin-er-done goes. I'm a slow builder, so I'm a little bit apprehensive. All I can do is try. If I fail and somebody wants to spank me, they'll have to buy snowshoes to come over as the build ends in the winter.

Its a very nice kit. I've noticed some issues that will require correction, but, all-n-all I'm really very impressed.Here are some photos of whats in the box along with a marking diagram of my targeted subject.

c364a377.jpg

59ce1b59.jpg

fc4fb130.jpg

I'm starting on it today, and have found time this week to give it some effort. The posting will certainly come as progress allows.
For now, my plan is to build OOB, trusting my limited painting ability to try and make it look half decent.

I hope the experts here will help me along. I've puddled with some web research, but there dosen't seem to be much out there. Luckily, I have the Windsock Datafile. Anyway, here it goes. Ben

Thanks for noticeing, fella's.

Just a little update.

The subject I'm modelling flew with a 150hp Benz B.III engine. I think this CMR kit offers an excellent 1/72 scale casting to represent the B.III:

e51daf73.jpg

d74ff1a6.jpg

339cb793.jpg

Although its not finished, I'm fairly happy with my little paint job. Still needs a wash and some touch-up. The scale is just too small for me, so I'm only going to worry about the paint, and not wiring, etc. Besides, this is OOB.

The cockpit interior is where I'm messing up some. I was trying a technique for the first time. First, I base-coated with Tamiya Buff. Then using Staedtler yellow, orange, and brown fineliners, I tried to scribble in some imitation grain. My object was to blend it before the ink dryed. This was followed with a spray of clear orange, then clear yellow.

Its not exactly what I wanted to achieve in the interior. I do like the prop though, done using the same technique.

a80c5cbd.jpg

All is good. The truth is, when its closed up, you won't be seeing much interior anyway.

:) Happy modelling away, Ben

That's not bad wood grain. By the time you close it up will be ok. We have several tutorals around here about painting woodgrains in oils. Check them out.

Looking good so far. :pilot

I've completed the prop and cockpit parts. As soon as the paint is completely dry, I'll begin putting her together and closing up the fuselage.
I didn't go way over-board with the cockpit, as it's small and will be hard enough to see anything. I'll likely put in some sort of seat harness, though.

f1e9d19c.jpg

10d797af.jpg

1e19cfc5.jpg

I've completed the prop and cockpit parts. As soon as the paint is completely dry, I'll begin putting her together and closing up the fuselage.
I didn't go way over-board with the cockpit, as it's small and will be hard enough to see anything. I'll likely put in some sort of seat harness, though.

f1e9d19c.jpg

10d797af.jpg

1e19cfc5.jpg

:dude :dude

Thank You so much for the supportive comment, guys :blush: .

I'm nearly ready to close-up the fuse, so a couple photos of the pre-close. The harnesses are way out of scale, made with tape and metal bits from the junk bin. At least no one will fall out.

440ac4f0.jpg

45c3eeb1.jpg

So far, even though I dropped it once and broke things, it's been a relative breeze. The pain and troubles begin now. The fuse halves differ in length .8mm.. Not much, but in this scale its enough. Also the engine, which is rather pretty, will have to be filed to fit. There goes my fancy paint job.

All is good. Ben

I knew this was small, but the quarter really puts it in perspective. Awesome work. Bummer about the engine. Can the cockpit combing be used for the ref point and the tail or nose fixed?
James

Can the cockpit combing be used for the ref point and the tail or nose fixed?
James

Hi James. Comparing the kit to Datafile 3-views, it looks like the kits front end is a little short. I'm thinking of building it up with plasti-card, using the louvres for reference. Left to right sides will have to b filed slightly anyway you look at it.

I'll post before and after when I get there. Ben

Back