• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Weathering of tank tracks

Leopard2

Our good friend MP asked me to do a SBS about weathering tank tracks and promised in return to release my pet goldfish.

This is my quick and dirty approach to paint and weather tracks. For this SBS I used the DS tracks from Dragon's 1/72 Jagdtiger. It took me longer to write this little SBS than it took me to weather the tracks. This is by no means the ultimate solution to weather tracks and there are several techniques used by different people. This is just the way I like to it. I used it on Ds tracks, plastic link and length, Magic tracks as well as regular rubber tracks. I never did Friuli tracks so I don't know about those.

1. After gluing the tracks I painted them with Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey.

IMG_0245.jpg

2. After the paint was dry, I applied a coat of Bragdon Powder Medium rust powder on the inside and the outside of the tracks. Bragdon is a Model Rail Road supply and I have been using it for about 6 or 7 years.

IMG_0247.jpg

3. In my next step I brushed Bragdon's Dust Bowl Brown powder to the outside of the tracks.

IMG_0249.jpg

4.Then I use a Silver Prismacolor artist pencil to highlight the parts of the tracks that are in contact with the ground.

IMG_0251.jpg

5. And last but not least I use the silver pencil to silver the inside of the tracks that are in contact with the wheels as well as the guide horns.

IMG_0254.jpg

I hope that this little SBS is helpful and if you have any questions just ask. Sorry, some of the pics are a little fuzzy.

Joe

You a very welcome. Of course you can go further from here. Instead of using powders airbrush the tracks with an earth/sand color. Apply an Oilwash instead instead of rust powder. When I do tracks with rubber pads, I paint those rubber parts with Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black.

Joe

Thanks Joe ... I'll give it a go ... my Wife said all is well and I can go to the bunker later this afternoon ... might give this a shoot as My Bragdon powders are waiting on the bench .... :soldier

Tanks for the SBS (y)

Someone been digging in the archives. Good find Eddy. :soldier

:notworthy I have only just begun Bob!! With my Tiger-I build, I need to learn a few (alot) things so.... :pilot

That reminds me,even on our M.A Home Page we have some interesting stuff,just do a little digging to find it.
And because you are busy doing a Tiger,here's a link what is very useful for you Ed: https://www.modelersalliance.com/web-links?task=weblink.go&id=64

Gr,Ron.

Someone been digging in the archives. Good find Eddy. :soldier

:notworthy I have only just begun Bob!! With my Tiger-I build, I need to learn a few (alot) things so.... :pilot

That reminds me,even on our M.A Home Page we have some interesting stuff,just do a little digging to find it.
And because you are busy doing a Tiger,here's a link what is very useful for you Ed: https://www.modelersalliance.com/web-links?task=weblink.go&id=64

Gr,Ron.

Thanks! I was gonna look on the main page when I got a chance. Got it bookmarked (y) I have yet to cut sprue as I got the Kfir to get off the bench in a few days for the IDF campaign. Then will dive into the Tiger :drinks

Back