• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A snowy day Rustology...

Jeeves

Well-- we are due for a dozen or so inches of snow today so it seemed like a good time to experiment in between plow sessions. I am building up this Revell Chevy Stepside Pickup...was going to do it for CTA 3 but decided to focus on just one build for that one and just take my time and enjoy myself on this one. SO I ended up with a nice shade of Vallejo Modelair Russian Green which mirrors a shade like on my wife's grandfather's old truck. Was able to successfully chip using some Himalayan pink sea salt. After that, this morning I thought I would experiment with the different pigments I have for rust. Obviously I am no where near done- but with just my first run through, there are some interesting results....

First up are the Mig Pigments...
IMG_20170212_091350027_HDR-1024x576~0.jpg

Obviously I need to tone down the bare metal as this is a truck that is supposed to be sitting around for a while forgotten...but it is quite a vivid shade, no?

Now using some Wilder pigments I won in a contest a couple years back...
IMG_20170212_091417775_HDR-1024x576~0.jpg

I find these to be quite less stark.

And just for kicks and giggles...I went ahead with the Doc O'Brien weathering powders that I have rarely used since being introduced to the others. I find these to be pretty sharp looking in this particular application...they seem to mate with the Vallejo paint quite nicely...
Rusty Red-- again, quite stark like the Mig powders...
IMG_20170212_091510768-1024x576~0.jpg

Rusty Brown-- I feel this matched something that would be sitting around for a while...quite dull but quite obviously rust...
IMG_20170212_091546175-1024x576~0.jpg

That's it for now...wifey is home from shopping and it looks like I will have to plow for the first time today....

Back