• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PAINTING WITH MrT SBS (PART 1)

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
First I claim no special knowledge as far as painting goes. Anything that I do I have learned from observing others far better then I am, or through trial and error. Mostly error! So I am always shocked when anyone want to know how I do anything, but I'm always willing to share what little I know. Some folks, that are following my LRDG Chevy truck build, have expressed the wish that I tell them how I have painted it. I chose the paint scheme which is an oldstone with light blue camo. Oldstone is a tannish grey color. When I see it I think or concrete. When I paint I shoot for creating depth or in other words different shade of color. I attempt to do this panel shading, washes and drybrushing and maybe a little color modulation. The part I will be using is bed of a Bedford Portee. It's flat and has several panels I can shade. Please excuse some of the pictures it may be hard to see the color changes, but I will explain what's happening as I go. I use Tamiya paints for the most part, but I will use whatever paint that is the color I need. It is important to note that I thin my paint with alcohol (the rubbing kind). I'll want the other kind if thing go bad. :laugh:

My first step is to paint the part/model a dark shade of the base color, however this time I chose to base paint the part Tamiya Desert Yellow. I did this because I wanted the effect of some under lying desert grim.

DSC07918.JPG

Next I empty the airbrush cup except for about three drops of the base paint. I then added Tamiya Deck Tan XF-78 and roughly do some panel shading. The trick is to add the color in thin amounts and gradully brighten the panels leaving darker shading in the seams and around rivets or other raised detail. The color change may be hard to see in this picture, but it's there.

DSC07924.JPG

DSC07925.JPG

I repeat the previous step, but with the Deck Tan only making sure to define the individual panels more each time. Now with a few drops of XF- 78 Deck Tan left in the cup I add Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan (yeah there's two) and continue the process defining the panels and detail even more. I know this is hard to see in the pictures, trust me it's there.

DSC07927.JPG

DSC07929.JPG

Now I am going to apply the first oil wash. Important note: I apply no future clear coat at this time. I use Windsow & Newton oil paint and I thin it with mineral spirits. There is very little odor and it drys fast (even faster with a hair dryer). The colors I will be using are Burnt Senina and Mars Black. I put a small amount of black on my brush and thin it until it is transparent. Then I add a small amount of the brown and make thin wash which I apply with a wide brush.

DSC07931.JPG

DSC07932.JPG

DSC07933.JPG

Adding the brown.

DSC07934.JPG

Applying the wash.

DSC07935.JPG

DSC07936.JPG

Wash is dry and ready for the next step.

DSC07938.JPG

With the wash dry my next step is to highlight the different panels with the XF-55 Deck Tan to get that concrete/stone color I'm after along with I hope a little depth.

DSC07940.JPG

DSC07939.JPG

Next we'll look at doing some detail painting. I hope this helps and ask any questions you want to

(y)
Just wish i was better at airbrushing..... it looks so simple when you guys do it and when i try it spits and clogs up and whatever can happen happen :bang head
Very Nice SbS Terry! it will come in handy that i know for sure (have a chevy LRDG in the stash :))
//Mats

(y)
Just wish i was better at airbrushing..... it looks so simple when you guys do it and when i try it spits and clogs up and whatever can happen happen :bang head
Very Nice SbS Terry! it will come in handy that i know for sure (have a chevy LRDG in the stash :))
//Mats

If you're cloging and spitting your paint is too thick. Thin it down. You may have to experiment I did. You'll get it don't stop.

Thanks Mats

B)

Thanks for the SBS. Where is that part from? you have me scratching my Noggin...

Regards,

Ah, the portee, explains the chain. I was too busy looking at the pictures and the captions to them.

Thanks again,

Sorry, you guys keep pecking at me and I can't do two things at once!! :rotf Are there some hens in the roost ? :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Back