• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M20

razordws

Spent tonight getting the basic wash done. This is an Italeri M20 in 1/72 scale that I'll use to experiment on. I built just a few months ago and did a very light wash on it. Hope to take it to another level with this tutorial

Here's a shot with the required tools.
13M20.jpg

And a close up with the wash on. I broke a couple of wheels off when blotting and now that they are off I might as well leave them off until done the weathering.
14M20.jpg

Rather than canvas color for the stowage I used a darker olive green. Hope I can remember which color I used. :unsure:

Looks good Dave,

Don't worry about the color of the canvas. Just mix the matt 72 khaki drill with any dark green or olive drab, follow the instructions in the first lesson on dry brushing and it should look fine.

BTW, let that dry a couple of days until it goes dead flat!

Bob

A couple of days turned into a couple of weeks. That's the way it goes sometimes. Wife is away for a couple of days so I hope to get going on this. I started the first round of dry brushing tonight and got got about 3/4 done. Here's a before and after tease on the wheels. Overdone?

15M20.jpg

I'm starting to see what you meant by needing patience Bob. :zen

I also think I need some better brushes.

It's looking damn good Dave!

Patience is required, but to some, less than others! That wheel on the right looks great! I think you've got it!

Better brushes are always a great investment. In so many ways, quality tools and equipment always produce better models,

Great going, congratulations! (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Details painted, pin wash done and mud splattered. I'll try some rust and then glue the wheels back on.

18M20.jpg

19M20.jpg

Well... I am no master as yet but I think my weathering skills just took a massive leap forward.

Before...
10M20.jpg

After...
22M20.jpg

Messed up on a couple of things but I am pretty happy overall.

20M20.jpg

21M20.jpg

23M20.jpg

24M20.jpg

25M20.jpg

Thank you sooooooo much Bob for doing this!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Dave,

I agree. you did well. Just remember, the more you do it, the more it improves.

Here is one small critique, (A very small one). I would have dry brushed more matt 72 khaki drill onto the tarp on the left side, the color is too close to that of the vehicle. That is not a technical error but an artistic one. Vehicles are always more interesting when there are contrasting shades of the same colors and whenever I get a chance, I even like to put stowage of a bright color somewhere to give it contrast. Not much, just a little. Everything in moderation.

However, for your first time out with this, you did very well. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it!

Congratulations! (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bill and MP!

Bob, both the tarp and the wood on the axe handle had paint rub off while handling with my fingers. I touched up the axe handle with less than satisfactory results but the tarp kind of looked okay to my naked eye until I took the pictures. I will redo both at some point, likley after I get that ridiculously huge 1/32 Ju 88 off my bench.

Thanks again for doing this. It was well worth it! :drinks

Thanks Bill and MP!

Bob, both the tarp and the wood on the axe handle had paint rub off while handling with my fingers. I touched up the axe handle with less than satisfactory results but the tarp kind of looked okay to my naked eye until I took the pictures. I will redo both at some point, likley after I get that ridiculously huge 1/32 Ju 88 off my bench.

Thanks again for doing this. It was well worth it! :drinks

No problem,

If you hold onto the model and take a soft dry clean t-shirt, you will probably be able to wipe the artist's oil outer finish off the tools. If not dip it in a tiny amount of the rectified turps and wipe again. Let fry, then reapply with the burnt sienna and raw umber mix, about 50/50.

You can correct the tarp with dry brushing with matt 72, khaki drill.

It looks fine as it is. That was just a suggestion. If you like it, then I've done my job! :D

Bob

Back