• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lesson four. Basic Drybrush Part 1

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
We will begin the dry brushing phase here. As with washes, dry brushing has gotten a bad rap over the last dozen years. I believe the reason is because so many people were doing it wrong. I do not profess to be the best at this, far from it. To be really good at dry brushing, you must be very patient. I am not that!

I do know the basics and dry brushing can replace several of the newfangled processes out there today if done properly.

All those obviously dry brushed models we have all seen at shows and even in magazine galleries are almost always due to three things.

1) Too much paint on the brush
2) Improper technique
3) The brush is too stiff or too wet.

When dry brushing an olive drab base coat, I use two Humbrol colors.

Matt 72 Khaki Drill
Matt 66 Olive Drab

Again, using a small screw drive or something similar, go through the clear liquid at the top and pull a small amount of pigment and place on the pallet from each color.

swirls.jpg

Then, mix about 50-50 on another area of the pallet. Then, I take a number 8 filbert that is completely dry. Dip it in the mixture, then, using the old t-shirt, grasp the brush between the t-shirt using your forefinger and thumb, squeeze and pull. Repeat until there is barely any color on the t-shirt. The way to know if you have the correct amount of paint on the brush is to jab it straight down on a clean area of the pallet and twist. It should leave something that looks like the swirls on the following two pics.

swirls-1.jpg
]

03swirls.jpg

Now, using the jab and twist, (Kind of like stippling but with a twist at each thrust), lightly enhance the raised portions of the model. You don't want to see immediate results or you are using too much paint. No problem if you do, just leave it till you are finished with the dry brushing procedure. I purposely over done the step on the right side of the chassis. see below.

04ChassisDB.jpg

05chassisDB.jpg

Over done.

06overdone.jpg

If you get too heavy handed, after you are finished with the vehicle, mix a light mixture of the raw umber/turpentine wash and simply go over the part with too much dry brush.

16repairwash.jpg

Then blot it off as in the wash tutorial.

17repairwash.jpg

The following are three pics during the dry brushing of the entire vehicle.

07wheelsDB.jpg

08HolmesDB.jpg

09TruckDB.jpg

Now for the second stage of the dry brushing. On a clean pallet, obtain the pigments from the bottom of the matt 72, Khaki Drill tin and place of the pallet. Never use thinner of any kind during dry brushing. That includes the rectified turpentine. You want the brush to be dry. A wet brush causes streaking and blobs, even when using the punch and twist method. Keep that brush dry.

10M72pallet.jpg

Then smooth it out with another brush.

11WipeBrush72.jpg

Then wipe it clean with a t-shirt. Then try the swirls.

72swirls.jpg

Then begin the punch and twist jabs again on the highest points with detail. Not too much, but, if you overdo it, you can always go back and re-wash it as I did previously. Dry brushing should be very, very subtle and never jump out at you. If it does, you won't like the end result.

13TruckDB72-1.jpg

14TruckDB72.jpg

Now, dry brushing with Humbrol enamels dry very fast. The last step in this session is to make another raw umber wash, only this time, much thinner. If you are using the artist's rectified turpentine, this will be a breeze. Using a fine brush, I am using a Winsor Newton Series 7, 000 point, dip it in the mixture and outline all the panels and details. The brush I am speaking of is not the one in the picture immediately below, but the one following that. If the wash is thin enough, it will take capillary action around these details. If you go off a bit, don't be concerned. This is very forgiving. When dry, it will leave a very subtle dark area around the details that will be very soft when dry. It will make those details and panel lines pop out without being obvious. Some people call this a pinwash. Some do it in black which, IMHO, is too obvious.

15Umberpinwash.jpg

Here is the pinwash after drying.

18Umberpinwash.jpg

OK, so much for that one.

Bob

13TruckDB72.jpg

Re: 201. Lesson One. Basic Drybrush Part 1

This is great! I'm glad you are demonstrating this because I was feeling like my Sherman was a little dark. I knew you were not done, so I waited to see what you had up your Jedi sleeve.

Question: Do you let the paint dry between dry brush-stages, and between dry-brush stage 2 and pinwash? Or do you work it wet into wet? Hmmm?

Thanks again a million,

Bill

This is great! I'm glad you are demonstrating this because I was feeling like my Sherman was a little dark. I knew you were not done, so I waited to see what you had up your Jedi sleeve.

Question: Do you let the paint dry between dry brush-stages, and between dry-brush stage 2 and pinwash? Or do you work it wet into wet? Hmmm?

Thanks again a million,

Bill

Bill,

The dry brush dries almost instantly simultaneously if you have the right mix and volume of paint on your brush. I did the first, second phase, one right after the other, and then, when I used the pin wash, the second phase had already dried.

You are getting this so very well, I don't anticipate you will have any problems at all!

Bob

I cant wait for my paints to arrive. When you dry brush you go around the markings correct? Does it matter the direction of dry brushing(up, down, left, right)? What colour mixture would you use for German Grey?
Thanks Bob for such a well detailed cool SBS.

James

I cant wait for my paints to arrive. When you dry brush you go around the markings correct? Does it matter the direction of dry brushing(up, down, left, right)? What colour mixture would you use for German Grey?
Thanks Bob for such a well detailed cool SBS.

James

First, when dry brushing, do the jab and twist in the areas that don't have recesses or indentations. For example, a panzer IV has a series of squares and rectangular panels all over the vehicle. Begin in the center of those panels and work heavier in the center and lighter as you go outward toward the panel edges. No dry brushing at all at the edges, I have a panzer IV somewhere, later in the day I will photograph it and post.

Dry brushing German gray requires the same highlight color as olive drab. Humbrol matt 72 Khaki Drill mixed with the base color enamel, preferably Humbrol German gray. Pretty much the same procedure with O.D., mix about 50-50. Test it on a pallet with the swirls. Then try it on a small area, maybe the bottom and If you get too much contrast, stop and decrease the amount of the khaki drill and start over. If any area you over did is visible, do the wash again.

I apologize for the grainy photos, but I just can't keep running back and forth to the photo area. I will take high quality shots after each session and post.

Hey James, are those paints being delivered by pony express out there in Cold Lake? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

thanks for sharing your wisdom with the members here, what you do for all of us is sheer gold for everybody!

:mpup

thanks for sharing your wisdom with the members here, what you do for all of us is sheer gold for everybody!

:mpup

No problem Laura, I enjoy doing it.

Haven't seen you post in awhile, you must have been busy!

Bob

Next day delivery in Cold Lake means next day plus a week. :D

BoB ,

WoW !! I've been lokin forward to this !! Great Tut . Th Lost Art of Dry Brushing !!

Question : The brushes that I end up using fro My Dry Brushes ( granted , I don't have any Sables ) start to look like some one put a FireCracker in th middle of it. The bristles start to curl & wither away ... Am I being heavy Handed ? I've recently started to use a Filbert as You've suggested , but that even now after a few minor sessions is starting to curl .... Sometimes that works in My favor as with Armor , it'll look like tiny scratches , but some times that's not what I want.

DSC08796.jpg

Here's th Filbert - a #4 Robert Simmions T67 . It's a lil' tough to see here & I apologize as I couldn't get th camera to really focus in on it , but th bristles are starting to curl ..... ?

DSC08794.jpg

Here's one that I'm not too worried about - It came from Wal-Mart & at th time was an Emergency pick-Up , as I was @ AMPS '09 & needed to finish My Panzers in th Hotel Room hours before th show started !

Thoughts on th Filbert ?

This ROX BoB !! Again Thank You So much for doing this !!! I love Dry brushing !! I think it really adds so much to a model ! It's become th Lost Art ......

:erik

Hey Erik,

Looking at your images of a non-sable filbert, I would say that maybe you are pushing it a bit strong. Dry brushing is hard on a brush of any quality, but in that second photo, the poor brush looks a bit over stressed.

I always use sables which last longer than any other flat, wide filbert, but, if I went through them like that, it would cost a fortune. Be gentle, never use them wet, always dry, keep wiping the paint to a minimum with a T-shirt, and gently push at a perpendicular thrust and end with a gentle twist. Every so often, clean the brush, set aside to dry and use a dry one. That will keep you from mortgaging the homestead to keep you in brushes.

Bob

BoB ,

Ah !! Is it also damaging to use paper Towel ? I use that in place of th T-Shirt ? Yes ... That second one is Waaay overstressed, but again .. It's a Cheapie from Wal-Mart's "Art Section" , so I would almost expect that from that brush.

I have recently tried to be more conscious of My Touch & I've started to lighten up a bit. I'll try th Thrust & Twist .... Great tip on changin up brushes .. lettin one dry after a gentle cleaning !!

I'm tuning in Brotha' !! Thanx again for th tips !!

I'm lookin forward to th next installment !

:drinks

BoB ,

Ah !! Is it also damaging to use paper Towel ? I use that in place of th T-Shirt ? Yes ... That second one is Waaay overstressed, but again .. It's a Cheapie from Wal-Mart's "Art Section" , so I would almost expect that from that brush.

I have recently tried to be more conscious of My Touch & I've started to lighten up a bit. I'll try th Thrust & Twist .... Great tip on changin up brushes .. lettin one dry after a gentle cleaning !!

I'm tuning in Brotha' !! Thanx again for th tips !!

I'm lookin forward to th next installment !

:drinks

Paper towels? I never even heard of that. I suppose if it works without leaving fiber behind, why not?

I have always opted for expensive brushes as I've tried the cheapies and have never had much luck. That is why I give my brushes tender loving care. I can't afford to do otherwise.

I just posted the next installment! Lesson five.

Bob

Back