• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Just a Sherman

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm doing the same kit that James is doing. Dragon's M4A3(76). I got an Academy Lee in the stash but I see it has a full interior, I think I want to save that for Lulubelle.. :kiss:

I've gotten started with the road wheels and already screwed up. The heaveir looking wheels are keyed, didn't realize that till I started gluing. Some are a little wider than the other then I notice in the directions there's an alternate part, a spoked road wheel. So I went with that.

May mix them up just for variety, i've seen photos of Shermans having mixed parts running.

I'm not going to get freaked out about what parts were used and what were not. I'm building this up to paint it OD and learn something from the Master :notworthy :notworthy

The only thing I do want to upgrade on this is the tracks. Any suggestions?

Pictures later today if there's anything worth photoing..

Looking forward to the pics. I agree, the most important thing is the lessons on my build also. Will be cool.

MP these tracks are the best. Well thats what I think.

http://shermantracks.com/index.html

I agree that they are the best value and Paul does listen to what people want from his products (although most of the line was Peter's of RHPS).

To get more detail means going insane building the tensioned bars in the ModelKasten sets.

Another option are the DS tracks that many Dragon kits come with which are very good.

Regards,

Thanks Jeff, I'll check them out. Not sure what set I should get but I'll find one. Think I'm doing the VVSS suspension. Guess you guys can tell when I post up some pictures.

Whatever's in the box. Not sure. Like I said I'm not really going for a 100% representation of a specific Sherman, just kicking this out for the Class.

nopics.gif

I can see the attraction to this thing. On this kit there's two turrets, 3 different rear plates, two different sets of boogies. And that's just on this kit. I tell ya what though, I A'INT going to go out and learn all the variants, I'll leave that to others.

Thanks Jeff, I'll check them out. Not sure what set I should get but I'll find one. Think I'm doing the VVSS suspension. Guess you guys can tell when I post up some pictures.

Hey Bob,

This photo is the M4A3 (76mm), it is the same suspension as the one I built in the photo below. The M4A3E8 (76mm) has the HVSS suspension.

Sherman001.jpg

During the build, I will show how to weather the standard rubber band tracks that come with all tank kits. You can use the same system on the individual track links with possibly one more step, depending on what color they come in. I don't paint the rubber band tracks. The usual color out of the box is a silver gray. Here is a shot of the last tank where I used this method on the tracks. It is a very simple one step system and takes maybe 10 minutes altogether, if that long. Sometimes, less is more.

Ffront02.jpg

Bob

Well I think I got the major construction done. Leaving the Commander's hatch detatched because there's some clear parts to install. All hatches are closed up as well as view ports. Not building this for accuracy, building it for painting.

Not really thrilled about this kit, lots of gaps, my guess would be that Dragon is stretching this chassis as far as they can and as such, they have lots of spacers and stuff to fill in between the different variants. Or I could be completely off base and just suck as a armor modeler...

Anywho..here it is and i'll have OD squirted next week.
Sherman002.jpg

Sherman003.jpg

Sherman004.jpg

Sherman005.jpg

Sherman006.jpg

I concur. What Bob said. Looks good! That is a lot of work already. Any misfit under the fenders does not matter in my opinion. It will never been seen. That doesn't let the folks at Dragon off the hook, but what are you going to do?

I did the same thing with my cuppola. Just tacked it in temporarily so that it would get all the pant/wash/weathering. I hope I will be able to pop it off and slide in the clear parts at the end.

Carry on soldier,

Bill

Back