• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lesson 9 The wrap up. 07/14/12

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Well all things come to an end and so this is the final chapter. I know I said I would cover weathering olive drab aircraft. I will do that in a future tutorial after I recover from this one. If I remember correctly, I began this mid February, so a total of five months ago.

During that period, I have built a few, painted a few, weathered and detailed all 14 models from start to finish. The last four were completed today. All these vehicles were weathered using the same system demonstrated in this tutorial. Some were more heavily weathered than others, depending on what they were and where they had been.

These 14 vehicles plus the Series icon M-32 ARV will end up as 15 of the total 51 vehicles on my current diorama, "Logistics".

Here are the last four, all deuce and a half cargo trucks. There will be a total of seven in the diorama.

First, is the GMC 2 and 1/2 ton dump truck, which will be clearing rubble along with a bulldozer and the scratch motorgrader.

It was more heavily weathered to have a similar appearance as the dozer and the grader.

dump01-1.jpg

[
dump02-1.jpg

Then the Studebaker 2 and 1/2 ton cargo, loaded with 55 gallon drums. It was weathered as all the XYZ Express trucks, the successor to the more famous but smaller Red Ball Express. And yes, a tiny few were used by the US Army in the ETO, although most went to the Pacific Marine units or the Russians. I have photographic evidence of two in an XYZ Express column in the final days of WW II.

Studebaker01.jpg

Studebaker02.jpg

Next up, the canvased topped GMC Cargo. Used a lot of external stowage on this one.

OLDGMC01-1.jpg

OldGMC02-1.jpg

Next, the GMC Deuce and a half cargo, open back with lots of cargo. All these are weathered similarly as they will be in the same column.

cargo01-1~0.jpg

cargo02-1.jpg

Now, I will post photos of the remainder of the 14 vehicles I finished during this tutorial.

The Dodge 3/4 ton ambulance.

Ambulance01.jpg

Ambulance02.jpg

The Deuce and a half semi=scratch fuel truck.

Fuel01.jpg

Fuel02.jpg

The Plymouth Staff Car. (Very lightly weathered).

staff01-1.jpg

The Diamond T Wrecker.

wrecker02.jpg

wrecker01.jpg

Four Jeeps, There will be two more, (Built and basecoated, but not weathered yet).

Jeeps01.jpg

Jeeps01-2.jpg

Then, the scratch built motorgrader photographed with the newly finished Dump truck.

Grader01-2.jpg

Then the Sherman Jumbo conversion that laid around fir 30 years before I rebuilt is and gave it new life.

Jumbo01.jpg

Jumbo02.jpg

And finally, all the vehicles from this tutorial in one photo.

all01.jpg

all02-1.jpg

Altogether now, I have 29 of the 51 vehicles built, painted, weathered and detailed. Many even have the figures attached. Most of the remaining vehicles are built and base coated, waiting to be weathered and detailed. I still have six more Shermans to build!

I have enjoyed doing this and I sincerely hope it either helped some or entertained others. Down the road, I would like to do another one on buildings and structures, and, as I mentioned, I would like to do one on weathering aircraft.

Now, I've got to get on those Shermans and get 'em built!

Thanks for watching this!

Bob

These are fantastic, we've really enjoyed these simple SBS installments.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share with us Dad. :notworthy :notworthy

Spectacular work Bob and thanks for doing this for us. And yeah I want to see those Shermans.

Terry B)

(y)
Have some O.D vehicles in the stash so when i start those this SBS will be very helpful! thanks for the outstanding work you put into doing these articles Bob :drinks
//Mats

Fantastic stuff Bob. Thank you very much for the time and effort you've put into helping us understand weathering. I really appreciate it and have been using it ever since, on all of my modeling. Because of these lessons I tried it on my aircraft and various models I am building. Even though I have a lot yet to learn I feel these lessons have boosted my meager modeling skills tremendously. Thank you.
James

Thanks Bob for putting this all together for us.
Thank you also for all the personal attention you gave each of us.
It was and continues to be a great experience. You're all aces!

Cheeers,

Bill

Hello Bob,
Sorry I'm joining this discussion late, but I have found this weathering technique to be very interesting. I think we all appreciate a Master such as yourself sharing techniques with us. I do have a question for you, would you suggest using this technique with other base colors - I have a British Sherman II in Light Stone desert colors that I am ready to weather? Hope this hasn't been asked already.

Thanks
Jerry

Hello Bob,
Sorry I'm joining this discussion late, but I have found this weathering technique to be very interesting. I think we all appreciate a Master such as yourself sharing techniques with us. I do have a question for you, would you suggest using this technique with other base colors - I have a British Sherman II in Light Stone desert colors that I am ready to weather? Hope this hasn't been asked already.

Thanks
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yes, light stone would weather using the exact same colors for a wash. You just have to remove more of the wash than you do on O.D. Of course, the dry brushing colors are very different. Never done that color before, but my best guess would be the light stone you use on the base with a tiny bit of flat white mixed in. Go slow and watch as you go. Make certain the contrast isn't too obvious.

Bob

Just to add my own note of appreciation, Thanks Bob for for putting the effort into this, I've really enjoyed it and learned a few things along the way :drinks

Back