• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lesson 7 this 'n that.

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Got the Jumbo finished. I'm thinking since I have so many O.D. models to weather, I'll just do a couple more as everybody catches up. Each model always has it's own unique areas of weathering, so...... Why not?

I'll begin this one with rusting. The artist's oil burnt sienna is a natural for rusting. It is the basic color of rust and there are so many ways to use it for rust. The basics; I just squeeze a tiny bit onto the palette. Then add some rectified turpentine and mix to the consistency of whole milk.

Rust01.jpg

Then using a fine pointed brush as shown, plus a larger, clean, dry brush, paint two tiny drops of the sienna on a vertical surface as shown.

Rust05.jpg

Rust02-1.jpg

Then using the larger dry brush, (Or your finger), touch the drops and drag downward, leaving tiny streaks as shown.

Rust03-1.jpg

Then do so on the other side of the hull. Then a drop here and there where rust would normally collect. Don't overdo this as it will ruin the appearance. In weathering, always in moderation. Too much will have the reverse effect that you want.

Rust04-1.jpg

Rust06-1.jpg

Rust07-1.jpg

This belonged in the Diamond T tutorial, I forgot it but will stick it in here.

When building softskins, a great material for windows is Micro slips. They are the micro thin covers for microscope slides. I cut them with a diamond phonograph needle just as a glazier cuts full scale glass. I attach the needle to a tube and using a metal ruler, scribe the dimensions onto the tiny glass and break on a straight edge,

Shown here are the micro slips and the home made glass cutter.

glass01.jpg

A box of slips.

glass02.jpg

Note how thin. They are so much more to scale than the clear plastic that comes with the kit.

glass03.jpg

For chipped paint, I use the Humbrol 270003 metallic polished steel. I use a tiny artificial sponge to apply it, then keep jabbing it on a clean piece of white paper till it only leaves tiny dots. Then apply to areas of the vehicle where you want chips. After drying, you can buff with a clean cloth a bit to get a metallic shine.

sponge-2.jpg

For buildings, I use a larger, natural sponge as shown.

sponge-1.jpg

Then I can get the kind of effect of peeling and chipped paint as shown.

bluehousemodel-1.jpg

To make scratches, Take a very fine brush and a paint much darker, (Not black) than your finish. Make a streak and let it dry. Then with a slightly lighter color and the same cleaned, fine brush, make a very fine line immediately next to the dark line, just on top. See Below.

oiltlr1-1.jpg

I covered the tracks in an earlier lesson, but, after installed, I dry brush lightly the raised portions only with Humbrol 270003, polished steel. After drying, polish them to a shine with a clean, soft cloth.

JumboF04.jpg

NOw, here are some pics of the Jumbo after completed, with figures of the crew and tank riders. The crew have the insignia of the 4th armored division, while the riders are of the 79th Infantry Division.

JumboF01.jpg

JumboF02.jpg

JumboF03.jpg

JumboF05.jpg

JumboF06.jpg

JumboF07.jpg

JumboF08.jpg

[
JumboF09.jpg

JumboF10.jpg

JumboF11.jpg

For effect, I set the Jumbo on the base it will eventually go. I now have two of the Shermans finished, only 6 more to go.

Column01-1.jpg

Column02-1.jpg

column03-1.jpg

column04-1.jpg

Now, for the next lesson, I will begin from the start on two vehicles, the scratch built road grader and the half-scratch built gasoline duece and a half.

If you have any questions or if anything is vague or difficult to understand, that's what I'm here for.

Bob

Very cool. Cant wait to get back to the bench and try again. Hopefully tonight. So much to catch up.
James

Wow- master artist! Bob to you we are all beginners- thanks again for taking the time to put this together. If put into a program you could sell it! Here we got it for free WITH personal comments to our questions, we should all feel lucky... CR

Wow! That's all I can say now...Outstanding! :notworthy :notworthy

Wow! That's all I can say now...Outstanding! :notworthy :notworthy

Yep! That about covers it! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Very cool. Cant wait to get back to the bench and try again. Hopefully tonight. So much to catch up.
James

Wow- master artist! Bob to you we are all beginners- thanks again for taking the time to put this together. If put into a program you could sell it! Here we got it for free WITH personal comments to our questions, we should all feel lucky... CR

Very cool Bob!!! Thanks!

(y)

Thanks for the nice words Guys,

The problem is, I'm not feeling very "masterly" at the moment. Have you ever built something and it looked OK till it was finished and then there was something about it you didn't like? Well, the Jumbo is one of those for me. I can see several glaring flaws, I didn't until I photographed it.

This happens to me every now and then. Just doesn't look good to me at all. SEveral things just look amateurish. I'll give it another try off the tutorial and if I can't make it look right, I'll leave it off the Logistics diorama. I don't want anything in that diorama that isn't my very best work. It will be my very last "Superdiorama" and I want it to be as good as I can make it.

We all screw up I guess, this just happens to be one of mine. A shame it had to be in a tutorial, maybe I wasn't meant to teach?

As for the tutorial, I'll weather two more vehicles, the scratch road grader and a Tamiya deuce and a half converted into a fuel truck.

Bob

Well, I have to get on the "Thank You & It Looks Great" bandwagon. (I'm the guy with the bass drum with the crash cymbal on top)! :laugh:
I can only speak for my self, but I think the whole tutoral continues to be fantastic. Really! I think that we can conclude from the heartfelt responses of others here that they feel the same way. Missteps happen and we can take some solace from the fact that it is not just we that struggle, and that even the Masters have a bad day. Please .... teach on. :notworthy

Enjoying the process immensely,

Bill

(y)

Thanks Bill,

The tank is OK, it's the figures mostly that bother me. The crewman with the MG belt looks clumsy, not posed correctly, and the rider looking around the turret has a stiff appearance. I should have used softer colors on the scarf of the one figure, it's too "in your face"! Then I will redo the wooden parts. They are too bright and don't look real. I'll go over them with a mixture of raw umber and burnt sienna and make them a darker shade. If it turns out better, I'll post a couple of pics.

Otherwise, it's not bad, just not my best work. If I can fix those problems, it will be OK in a column of 8 tanks on a very large diorama. I'll place it in the column where it won't be a point of focus. If the other 7 shermans are up to par, it'll pass. There is an area beside the street they will be that has the steelwork of the train canopy that partially blocks the view of a couple of shermans. That'll be a good place to position it.

shedccopy.jpg

Bob

Cool tutorial!
I think that this technique is quite easy to perform, even the least experienced, and is both highly effective and realistic. :notworthy
Thanks again! :)

Well, woke up this morning and decided it was either me or that Jumbo! Spent about 5 hours, mostly on the figures and now I like it better. Not the best thing I have ever done, but O.K. It's reasonable at least. I'll bet some of you will look at these and say, "What the hell is the difference". Maybe you can't see them, but I sure as hell can.

I pulled all the figures off and retouched them here and there and added some gear and a basket of veggies for color. Toned down the wooden parts, added a tow cable and repositioned five of the figures. I also moved the turret to a straight forward position.

Here are the pictures.

Front-2~0.jpg

lftfrnt~0.jpg

lftfrnt01~0.jpg

lftrear~0.jpg

lftrear01~0.jpg

Lftside-1~0.jpg

rear-2~0.jpg

rtfrnt~0.jpg

rtrear~0.jpg

rtrear01~0.jpg

rtside-1~0.jpg

I took the images of the tank on the base through photoshop, cleared the color and added a sepia tone. This is how the photographs would look if taken during WW II.

WHT01~0.jpg

WHT02~0.jpg

WHT03~0.jpg

WHT04~0.jpg

wht05~0.jpg

It may look the same to you, but I feel much better about it now!

Yeah, I'm weird!

Bob

Beautiful figures! (great detail with ammo belt) Amazing Sherman a true masterpiece!!! (y) (y) (y)

All the best!!!
Dusan.

B) B)
The Sherman has come up a treat with the figures riding on the back. The little color details on the soldiers and stowage set off the Olive drab beautifully.
The figures just finish the tank perfectly Bob - I love it!

Ian.

Back