• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Found a new (to me) tool

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys -

I wanted to share this new tool that I just became aware of with the community. Its called a Fiberglass Scratch brush. Basically its like a mechanical pencil but has a bundle of fiberglass bristles instead of pencil lead. Very useful for sanding difficult to access areas.

51RKzmJAGuL__SL1500_.jpg

I bought two sizes through Amazon, regular I guess and fine plus the refills. The pens are around $8 USD and the refills around $15.

These work really well for those areas where you just can't get sanding sticks in, like those punch marks on the insides of landing gear doors that all the manufactures seem to curse us with. They do act like a lower grit sand paper so not really good for polishing, but they do seem to work on most standard materials. So far I have used them to sand standard styrene, putties and CA glue used as a filler.

The only caution I will give, as you use these to sand the fiberglass bristles either break off or are ground up, leaving little shards of fiberglass around so be careful around eyes and cuts and things.

So there you go, a good, relatively inexpensive add to the toolbox.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Skinny Mike

These are great for cleaning up the glue joint between pe and plastic or resin. I have used one for years but haven't been able to get a replacement. They used to be sold in automotive places for body work and electronic places for circuit boards. I'll check out amazon. Thanks :D
James

I have also used one in watch repair. I personally don't like it as mine always shed the little glass slivers, shards, bristles (whatever you want to call them) all over and they can be quite painfull when they get stuck in you.

These are great for cleaning up the glue joint between people and plastic or resin. I have used one for years but haven't been able to get a replacement. They used to be sold in automotive places for body work and electronic places for circuit boards. I'll check out amazon. Thanks :D
James

Yeah - Amazon has everything!!!!!

Back