• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter S-51

Tony lee

Master at Arms

I built the lower hull this afternoon so I can finish those Master Club tracks for my track review tomorrow.

Very simple construction and only took a couple of hours, fit was perfect. :good:

See you tomorrow
Tony lee

May 9th you ask about the kit:
I didn't know the S-51 was out already, i've been waiting for it. :good: but where Saul?????
... and four days later you're building it! Wow, you certainly don't get cobwebs on that bench!

It is a very nice kit. I don't think the MasterClub tracks are really for this variant but they are nice and I won't tell. At least, a track swap for more durable shoes is possible when compared to where the driver is in that opening they provided. I guess that as a way to avoid adding an interior to the fighting & driving compartments.

Will you be replacing the barrel?

Click to shop at my favorite store but maybe Hard Targets carries RB Barrels?

Regards,

Yes sir Hard Target does handle RB barrels. As for the the tracks I know the SU-152 was on the "KV-1S" chassis and it was mounted with the every other link guide horn design. When they went to the "IS" chassis they used the every link guide horn tracks to solve the thrown track problem.

During my S-51 research this picture popped up and it shows the every link guide horn track on it too and that why i'm using them.

Later folks
Tony lee

Master Club Tracks assembled and installed:

003.jpg

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

Thanks for coming by :eek:hyeah
Tony lee

Yup, at Sprue Bros' one day on the finished shelve at Tony' s the next. :popcorn

That's a cool looking target Tony (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

I put some meat on her bones this afternoon:

I guess I will get a AM barrel for it after all Saul because the kit item sucks. :S

Thanks for looking folks
Tony lee

Okay now I am curious. Should there be an interior for this or is it simplified? The gun sits over the frond bogies?? That must have really stressed the first couple of torsion bars a heck of a lot.
Sorry for all the questions. Its coming along nicely Tony.
James

Can you see that hatch door on the front wall of the recoil pit? That's how the driver enters and exits James. An interior wouldn't be of much use for you to build, no way to see it if there was.

The barrel is moved full to the rear for travel but recoil would be a kick in the butt no doubt.

Thanks James

During my S-51 research this picture popped up and it shows the every link guide horn track on it too and that why i'm using them.
S-51side2.jpg

Indeed they are very close:

hc2044a0.jpg

Yet reading the (Russian) text from which the photo is based, we see that the prototype appeared prior to the heavier track. It actually uses a track with hollow teeth:

h41d17b6.jpg

h5802d5c.jpg

One can make out the deeper shadow of the hollow horn and the next link below (port track when viewed from driver's side) is filled in with snow.

Should there be an interior for this or is it simplified?

Can you see that hatch door on the front wall of the recoil pit? That's how the driver enters and exits James. An interior wouldn't be of much use for you to build, no way to see it if there was.

James, here you can see the hatch Tony is referring to, it is on an angled bulkhead of a pit (which is polygon in shape).

hff22366.jpg

It should have an interior as it was open topped from its description in the text. Note how little room (if one takes into account the thickness of the armor) is left for the driver's head.

Tony, I really like the build, I planned to put up a photo review of the kit but want your permission to link this build to it.

Regards,

Back