• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WWI Spad Comet Kit not sure the scale 12" Wingspan

Swordsman

Spad vintage wooden comet kit .... :pilot

h838f76e.JPG

h0d8b8ac_2015-08-24.JPG

Since I just received this today for helping with the building move ....

I'd like to build this one ... cuz I love Wood ... Must be the carpenter in Me ... I'll be doing a male & female tank later just wanted to start this one ... Today

I see a lot of pins in your future. :D

A while back I got hooked on peanut scale balsa. A buddy of mine who is a RC plane guru took me to a club meeting of these old timers who flew free flight stuff. It was truly amazing, these guys scratch build detailed flying models that are rubber powered. They're wound to a certain number of turns (like 300) and launched. They fly in controlled circles and land on their own. The flights are timed and the longest wins. These things would fly for a long time, all alone and land. That's some serious building skill to get the airframes true, super light and beautiful. They buy balsa stock by density, the tissue and rubber used are all to precise specifications, etc. They add tiny paper ailerons to tune the flight. It's a real art.

Nothing but respect for balsa and tissue.

Thanks Jeff ... I haven't built one of these for awhile ... It was just givin to me so it is WWI so ... something different ... I once knew a guy who decided his P-51 kit wasn't scale so plasic scale kit measured & cut into sections until He was happy ... about the second flight it didn't survive an inside loop ... Must have altitude ... :pilot

A hobby is just that I have some bigger Gallows kits P-51 & P-40 which I may try next ... :hmmm

LOL :rotf

My second year at college, we came back from spring break and one of the dorm floor jocks had discovered flying balsa model planes. Before long everyone on the floor got into it and had to build one. We cleaned the town out of balsa plane kits. I built a Fokker Triplane kit that would glide beautifully, but wind up the prop and let it go and it was barrel roll city.

Still have that poor model and after almost 30 years it is a little bit on the brittle and shabby side.

They're supposed to Fly ??? ... I was just gonna build the plane out of the wood ... Don't think I'll be using the rubber powered motor ... But since I have about 2 years yet ... I think that's enough time what with what's happening now in My life ... :snoopy :pilot

They're supposed to Fly ??? ... I was just gonna build the plane out of the wood ... Don't think I'll be using the rubber powered motor ... But since I have about 2 years yet ... I think that's enough time what with what's happening now in My life ... :snoopy :pilot

It says right on the box "Flying Balsa Wood Scale Model" and "Balsa Flies Better".

I know Paul ... Balsa flies better because it hasn't been painted ... if you paint it won't fly ... weighs too much I don't know but I have a Stinson some gave me hanging from ceiling to inspire me ... if this goes well I may finish that one ... :pilot

Man does that bring back some childhood memories. I have not built a balsa plane in a long time. Will be eagerly watching this.

Actually, you can paint it, just don't load it with paint until it is smooth and fully filled. A couple of light airbrush coats to give it color isn't the problem, it is painting it until it looks like a plastic model.

Thanks Guys ... I hope you enjoy the ride ... I opened the box the other day ...

h42b196a.JPG

h663f67f.JPG

Very old kit Copyright 1963 .... old tissue, instructions & balsa ...

h90c7e8b.JPG

hfd61aac.JPG

Doesn't look like enough parts here but I took the wrapping off so it all must be here ... 1st thing I did was tear the destructions & as anyone who has built one of these knows this is bad ... I'll take it them to work and tape them back together ...

hca83919.JPG

h74930d5.JPG

Meanwhile this is the Stinson ... a friend gave me ... it is a rubber powered but looks like free-flight would be possible ... Let's face it I'm old school and reliving my youth ... :pilot

To make this Spad fly:

1/2" dihedral on each wing tip.
Build in 3/32 washout per wing tip.
Enlarge stabilizer to 25% of the wing area as seen from above.
Move rubber peg forward to twice the distance from the balance point as from the prop hook to the balance point

Increase the angle of incidence of the lower wing to 3/332"- keep the top wing at zero.

Any on these old kits can be made to fly if you follow the above basic rules. For low-wingers, 10 degrees of dihedral per foot per side, low wingers 5 degrees. Amount of rubber motor and length thereof is a whole 'nother story!

:pilot

LOL! :laugh:

As I have not done any flying models in decades, what you just said Chuck is now mostly Greek to me. :huh:

To make this Spad fly:

1/2" dihedral on each wing tip.
Build in 3/32 washout per wing tip.
Enlarge stabilizer to 25% of the wing area as seen from above.
Move rubber peg forward to twice the distance from the balance point as from the prop hook to the balance point

Increase the angle of incidence of the lower wing to 3/332"- keep the top wing at zero.

Any on these old kits can be made to fly if you follow the above basic rules. For low-wingers, 10 degrees of dihedral per foot per side, low wingers 5 degrees. Amount of rubber motor and length thereof is a whole 'nother story!

:pilot

Thanks for this info ... I will use it in my construction of this spad I never knew you were an aeronautical engineer ... Now I'll Google some of these terms ... :pilot

Back