• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WnW Albatross D.Va (OAW).

ausf

Master at Arms
I just got the kit yesterday. I have to say I couldn't be more impressed with it, from the box to the decals, it has to be the best presentation I've seen to date in the modeling world. These guys at WnW are true craftsmen. It really is a complete kit of the highest quality media you could expect. Even the instructions, which seem more like an Osprey book than kit directions.

They did all the research and supplied everything except rigging material, glue and paint, so it's just a matter of choice. I decided on Gössel's ship, Jasta 71, mid 1918.

Here's the box and start photo, evidence that this was once a beautiful kit full of potential. Poor thing doesn't know what's about hit it. ;)

h2ca3069_2015-03-24.jpg

h4b70185_2015-03-24.jpg

Cool, will be watching this one Ausf. I really want to build a WNW kit someday.

But really?...no rigging material at all is supplied with the kit?

Tom

No rigging stuff Tom, I guess they view it as a personal preference on what material to use. They do sell the EZ-Line on their website, good price also.

Yes but it's not a slight as MP stated, probably based on preference. They give you so much information on the rigging all backed up by photographs, including all details, it's really amazing. There's even holes for plug wires if you want to super detail the engine.

You really should grab a WnW Tom. I balked a bit at the $69 tag, but that includes shipping from NZ (international priority so it was 3 days, but they didn't ship it for 10, weird but okay). If I was to buy another kit, then some research material, PE and aftermarket decals, it'd be well over the $70 spent by the time it was all said and done.

The details on the pieces are so crisp, it really surprise me. Of course most are doomed to a gluey mess at my hand, but I can appreciate them on the sprue at least.

Just for the record, here's the break down of odds as to the fate of the two piece wing spar mounted anemometer (plus decal).

Snapping in two as I cut it loose 90:1
Loosing it once cut free 75:1
Finding it by crunching sound 37:1
Finding it by embedding in foot 60:1
ER attendant retreiving it 40:1
ER attendant retreiving it intact 20:1

Yes but it's not a slight as MP stated, probably based on preference. They give you so much information on the rigging all backed up by photographs, including all details, it's really amazing. There's even holes for plug wires if you want to super detail the engine.

You really should grab a WnW Tom. I balked a bit at the $69 tag, but that includes shipping from NZ (international priority so it was 3 days, but they didn't ship it for 10, weird but okay). If I was to buy another kit, then some research material, PE and aftermarket decals, it'd be well over the $70 spent by the time it was all said and done.

The details on the pieces are so crisp, it really surprise me. Of course most are doomed to a gluey mess at my hand, but I can appreciate them on the sprue at least.

Just for the record, here's the break down of odds as to the fate of the two piece wing spar mounted anemometer (plus decal).

:huh: :hmmm :popcorn

Totally agree Ausf, $70 delivered is a heck of a deal. I guess I was just under the impression
some sort of rigging was supplied, no biggie.

Your odds of having the ER attendant finding the part intact are pretty good, maybe you
should have one on standby.

Tom

Agreed on all aspects...I chickened out my first time out and did the Fokker DVII to avoid loads of rigging, but the Albatrosses and rear pusher British crates are some of my favorites...too much rigging for a first time out for me though ;)

As far as parts breaking off the sprue goes though, I have to say from my experience that for the most part the parts are pretty strong...not like the Great Wall Hobby pieces and the AFV Club quarter scale pieces I am currently struggling with...

Can't speak for the odds of embedding them somewheres though.... ;)

Thanks for the interest so far.

I built the engine and primed it. I added plugs and wires, they may/may not be seen from the top, but it was painless enough to add. I just stuck magnet wire in place and built up the thickness to simulate plugs at the wire head.

hf6d44bf.jpg

h086bd8f.jpg

Okay, so I remember why I don't build much AC. I'm not crazy about cockpits, engines and decals. Good thing I chose the trifecta in an Albatross. :blink

I'm about to close up the fuse, so I grabbed some pics. I practiced with a few different ideas on wood grain on the interior before I get stuck on the outside where it'll be seen.

I love the details in this kit and so far I'm amazed at how easy it's going together. Of course I'm doing my best to screw it up by adding the PE belts after I installed it as well as the IP guage decals. Don't know what I was thinking, but I managed to get the stuff it without breaking anything.

Not much will be seen afterwards, but I'm glad I added the plug wires since you may see the magnetos past the Spandaus and shield.

I apologize for the photos, I'm having a hard time capuring the details.

h6d87f29.jpg

h6cc998b.jpg

h050b2a5.jpg

hdb03b3f.jpg

Next up, MGs and lozenges. Annealing PE and wing-sized decals with decals on top of them. What could go wrong?

Back