• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Verlinden 120mm All Quiet on the Western Front

Jeeves

OK-- this is one half of James' challenge to me ;) Gauntlet accepted from my neighbor to the North ;)

004~44.jpg

The base is soaking as it was pretty well covered in carrier gunk...

(y)

That skull looks creepy :blink

Interesting to see this build come alive (except for that dead guy :gogo )

//Mats

Any ideas what colors I might use to match the uniform coat in this pic...it seems sort of like a lighter Feldgrau, but I have no idea on these things...
450px-Germany_infantry_uniform_August_1914_worn_by_soldier_in_118th_Infantry_Regiment_-_National_World_War_I_Museum_-_Kansas_City2C_MO_-_DSC07453.JPG

The color mix that I use is Vallejo Field Grey #830 mixed with Vallejo Flat Flesh #955. The Field Grey can then be used as your medium shadow, add black for your deepest shadows and more Flesh for highlights. You also use Vallejo Green Grey #886 or Andrea Field Gray #XNAC04 as your base color - shadows and highlight colors stay the same. This Verlinden figure is wearing the 1915 transistional tunic with french cuffs and his trousers could be either stone grey or a darker tone than the tunic for contrast - red piping on the seam. Check out the https://www.facebook.com/lastcavalry Last Cavalry Facebook page for pictures of the real stuff and my attempts at painting WW1 German uniforms...

Dave

Here are a two figures of mine using these mixes... please do not hesitate to ask any more questions!!

Thank you! Here are a few more photos...

The above diorama is featured as a SBS in the soon to be released Mr. Black Publications Diorama Modeling 1 and it is available for pre- order right here: http://shop.lastcavalry.com/mr-black-publications-scale-model-handbook-diorama-modelling-1/

This 1/16th scale diorama depicts a German Front Line Trench on the Western Front, 1917. This trench is hastily constructed from a large shell crater and is manned with an MG08/15 machine gun for anti-aircraft coverage. It took all of last year to complete!

Waiting on some paint from an online store to rework the uniform-- but here is the base so far...
009~29.jpg

Using the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water for the shell hole...tried just using masking tape to form the dam for it, but it leaked out...any other ideas??

Uniform is still not quite right...but I'll keep at it...
017~4.jpg

018~3.jpg

So-- any ideas for what to use to dam up the Realistic Water??

Throwing out a few ideas, hope they might help.

A piece of edging for laminate or melamine shelves or countertops might work. There are wood veneer tapes as well. I don't know how sticky the Real Water product is, so a release agent may be needed so it doesn't bond to the dam.

The melamine edge tape could be permanently bonded to the base, trimmed down to the desired water height and the edges blended into the resin base with some epoxy putty.

The edge tape might be flexible enough to wrap around the base if you don't want to remove it.

Cheers,
Rich

Back