• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

War of the Worlds Martian.

ausf

Master at Arms
I rounded out an order with this kit. I probably wouldn't have if I knew going it it was vinyl, but I'm glad I did because it really is nice.

It's not much of a model actually, a head, body and two arms in bright orange vinyl and a base and two eye lenses in clear ABS.

Of course Its ripe for lighting since the creature eyes glow in the movie. I wanted to try to use color LEDs instead of painting the lenses. I painted the inside frame with black to light block and gave it a coat of Future to get them clear then test fit. I sectioned off the lighting area to avoid mixing of the color. After the test fit I don't think I need the light blocking frame and certain don't like the clearness of the lens. It's a nice effect, especially in person, but not accurate to the film. I'll remove the frame and Future and sand the interior with 1200 grit paper to fog it up.

The lights are currently at 6.5 volts with no resistance, just wired in series. I'll adjust as needed with final version.

hd14fa64.jpg

h801882f.jpg

haf79beb.jpg

Thanks.

I normally prefer to sand because I can control it better but in the movie when Gene Barry shines a light on it, it throws it's hands up and there are dark spots in the center of each lens like a pupil. Using a dull coat with a drop of dark color in the middle may pull that off. :hmmm

Back